U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-15-2018, 11:55 AM
 
Location: Brooklyn the best borough in NYC!
1,991 posts, read 863,506 times
Reputation: 1106

Advertisements

Is it better to apply through LibkedIn or a companies actual website?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-15-2018, 08:23 PM
Status: "Gaining Stability." (set 7 days ago)
 
5,684 posts, read 5,928,269 times
Reputation: 4432
Both. Employers are very responsive to Linkedin easy apply. However, they will still request that you complete an online application.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-15-2018, 08:55 PM
 
4,069 posts, read 5,464,316 times
Reputation: 4920
I have zero job offers from applying to companies in the last 10 years.

I received all my jobs from company recruiters or 3rd party agencies messaging me on LinkedIn. I have gotten some really good jobs, when they are chasing me. Salary has more doubled in last 7 years with all jobs from recruiters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2018, 05:51 AM
 
Location: Brooklyn the best borough in NYC!
1,991 posts, read 863,506 times
Reputation: 1106
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post
Both. Employers are very responsive to Linkedin easy apply. However, they will still request that you complete an online application.
Is there a difference between applying to a company site and a LinkedIn job that that doesnít have Easy apply?

Cause many donít especially the super large companies
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2018, 05:52 AM
 
Location: Brooklyn the best borough in NYC!
1,991 posts, read 863,506 times
Reputation: 1106
Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
I have zero job offers from applying to companies in the last 10 years.

I received all my jobs from company recruiters or 3rd party agencies messaging me on LinkedIn. I have gotten some really good jobs, when they are chasing me. Salary has more doubled in last 7 years with all jobs from recruiters.
Awesome. I did visit a recruiting company Robert Half last week and he did say he would try to get me into JP Morgan. He said most likely a contract job but I donít care just get me anything and Iíll work with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2018, 06:27 AM
 
Location: Tennessee
23,541 posts, read 17,525,434 times
Reputation: 27576
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynJo View Post
Is there a difference between applying to a company site and a LinkedIn job that that doesnít have Easy apply?

Cause many donít especially the super large companies
The Easy Apply poorly formats a resume by default, unless you are manually upload one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2018, 06:51 AM
 
Location: Greensboro, NC
633 posts, read 238,000 times
Reputation: 1532
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynJo View Post
Is it better to apply through LibkedIn or a companies actual website?
When I've applied through a company's web site, 99.99% of the time it seems to go into some black hole. I can probably count on one hand (maybe two) how many times over the past 8 or so years that it's even landed me a phone interview.

LinkedIn's easy-apply got me far more attention when I was job searching last year. However, the listings that simply redirect you to the company's website application end up being useless.

Ultimately, all of the job offers I've ended up getting have been through recruiters finding my resume.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2018, 11:18 AM
 
Location: Brooklyn the best borough in NYC!
1,991 posts, read 863,506 times
Reputation: 1106
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGC View Post
When I've applied through a company's web site, 99.99% of the time it seems to go into some black hole. I can probably count on one hand (maybe two) how many times over the past 8 or so years that it's even landed me a phone interview.

LinkedIn's easy-apply got me far more attention when I was job searching last year. However, the listings that simply redirect you to the company's website application end up being useless.

Ultimately, all of the job offers I've ended up getting have been through recruiters finding my resume.
I hoping Robert Half lands me a contract position with JP Morgan. Cool thing is he told me the manger there likes working with employeees who lack experience
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2018, 12:31 PM
 
Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
29,750 posts, read 54,373,866 times
Reputation: 31045
We post jobs first on our own website then Linked-in and other sites, but those all have links back to our website, which is the only way to apply. The difference is that if you click the link from Linked-in or another site that is carried through your application to our system. As a hiring manager I will know that you came from Linked-in rather than directly to our site. That can actually make a difference in some cases with all else being equal between two strong candidates. The fact that you went to our site implies that you were looking for a job with us. When it came from another source like Linked-in, it means that you were looking for a job. I would not make a decision on whether to interview based on that, but if the interview confirms it, I would much rather hire someone that really wants to work for us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2018, 02:55 PM
Status: "Gaining Stability." (set 7 days ago)
 
5,684 posts, read 5,928,269 times
Reputation: 4432
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynJo View Post
Is there a difference between applying to a company site and a LinkedIn job that that doesnít have Easy apply?

Cause many donít especially the super large companies
Interesting. Half of my call backs were from Linkedin Easy apply and Indeed. Both also post jobs and directs you to their website.

I did both for 1 company. I applied to two positions. I received a response for 1 via Linkedin. The hiring manager went with another candidate. I did indicate I also applied for another. I interviewed for the position. It is not for me but I believe Linkedin got me noticed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top