U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2018, 06:45 AM

349 posts, read 214,391 times

Advertisements

Hi all:

Question: Suppose you apply for a p/t job. While waiting for a callback to learn if you got the job or not, you go on another interview for a different job. Time passes. You are contacted by the p/t employer to offer you the job. You accept the position. Before you start the p/t job, or soon after, you are contacted by the other job you applied for. They offer you a higher salary, etc. What is proper? Give 2 weeks notice? Don't accept the better job? Just stop showing up at the p/t job? What is proper? I have heard about "ghosting" where I guess you simply stop showing up or do not even show up for an interview, or the first day of work, etc.

I am a bit torn. While I understand the importance of having a good work ethic and being bound by your word, isn't your top priority to provide for your family by securing the best job? Not to say that we should operate like many employers, who treat you like a number and promise many things and often fail to follow through with those promises, etc.

Appreciate your comments.

Thanks..

Beans and Rice Bob
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2018, 07:22 AM

15,049 posts, read 21,806,433 times
If you haven't started, don't start, let them know you received another offer that is a better fit for you. If you have started, offer to work the two weeks if needed.

You do what is best for you, just like the company would do for themselves.

Old 08-17-2018, 03:25 PM

7,270 posts, read 3,003,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Student66 View Post
Hi all:

Question: Suppose you apply for a p/t job. While waiting for a callback to learn if you got the job or not, you go on another interview for a different job. Time passes. You are contacted by the p/t employer to offer you the job. You accept the position. Before you start the p/t job, or soon after, you are contacted by the other job you applied for. They offer you a higher salary, etc. What is proper? Give 2 weeks notice? Don't accept the better job? Just stop showing up at the p/t job? What is proper? I have heard about "ghosting" where I guess you simply stop showing up or do not even show up for an interview, or the first day of work, etc.

I am a bit torn. While I understand the importance of having a good work ethic and being bound by your word, isn't your top priority to provide for your family by securing the best job? Not to say that we should operate like many employers, who treat you like a number and promise many things and often fail to follow through with those promises, etc.

Appreciate your comments.

Thanks..

Beans and Rice Bob
This happens all the time. If you search this forum you'll see many posts about it. It's one of those things. Inform the first employer as soon as possible so they don't continue preparations to get you on board. Be honest. Don't need to go into details, just politely tell them a "better fit" opportunity came up and thank them for considering you for their position. I prefer doing it in person by phone instead of a text or email. Gives it a professional touch and interpersonal relationships within your field are worth maintaining. Not showing up/vanishing is incredibly disrespectful and frankly, a little cowardly. It might feel a bit awkward for about 2 minutes, but you'll learn more about how to handle less than perfect situations by doing them courteously.

Last edited by Parnassia; 08-17-2018 at 03:33 PM..

Old 08-20-2018, 08:23 AM

754 posts, read 870,699 times
Two weeks notice is really not needed in this case as you just started or will start shortly. There's really nothing to wrap up or transition to another person even if you have started.

I agree with previous posters, don't ghost or use email. Call them and explain the situation and thank them for the opportunity. Yes, it's uncomfortable but it's a skill every employee needs to have. Happens all the time.

Remember, as Martin Yate (author of the Knock'em Dead books). It's MeInc. versus ThemInc. You need to always do what's best for you. Trust me, the company will always do what's best for them with little regard for your needs.

Old 08-20-2018, 08:57 PM

1,880 posts, read 728,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UEHelp View Post
Two weeks notice is really not needed in this case as you just started or will start shortly. There's really nothing to wrap up or transition to another person even if you have started.

I agree with previous posters, don't ghost or use email. Call them and explain the situation and thank them for the opportunity. Yes, it's uncomfortable but it's a skill every employee needs to have. Happens all the time.

Remember, as Martin Yate (author of the Knock'em Dead books). It's MeInc. versus ThemInc. You need to always do what's best for you. Trust me, the company will always do what's best for them with little regard for your needs.
Absolutely agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search