U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2018, 09:28 AM

2,825 posts, read 4,932,375 times

Advertisements

So I have been an Executive Assistant for the past 12years in the financial sector. My manager as well as myself thinks I'm ready to move on to a different role for professional development within the company. I've had several interviews and all have said that I'm qualified and have the background, but I have not been extended an offer. For instance I had an interview yesterday, and I thought it was what I wanted but the interviewers were making it sound like there would be no growth opportunities which made me a little hesitant. The feedback that I've gotten from the other offers is that I'm a great match but someone had a little more experience than me. Just wanting to know how I can capitalize on my strengths and well as improve on my weaknesses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2018, 11:27 AM

708 posts, read 777,918 times
What positions are interviewing for?

Do you have the skills now to move into those positions?

Have you asked what they are looking for specifically so you can work towards filling those gaps or address them with experience you may already have?

Old 08-25-2018, 12:20 PM

I am looking specifically for a Business Support role. I do have the skills for the role, as some of the skills necessary for the role, I do now in my current role. I outline all of my processes that I would incorporate for the role. Some of the feedback that I got when I first started interviewing was that I was too vague...That why now I outline all of my current processes to the interviewers. I am definitely more detail oriented now when interviewing.

Old 08-25-2018, 03:35 PM

7,149 posts, read 2,936,914 times
Excuse my ignorance, but what are the skill/responsibility differences between Executive Assistant and Business Support in your particular field? Maybe you'll need to leave the nest in order to provide something different to someone.

Old 08-26-2018, 02:55 PM

The Business Support role is more analytical. Very similar to a Business Analyst role.

Old 08-26-2018, 04:59 PM

7,149 posts, read 2,936,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastbabe View Post
The Business Support role is more analytical. Very similar to a Business Analyst role.
If your company doesn't need this skill set or already has what they need you would probably have to leave in order to move into it. If you are not willing to move out, guess you need to continue where you are. It's not being "stuck", it's being realistic.

Old 08-27-2018, 11:52 AM

602 posts, read 453,504 times
First things first. If your employer was the one who brought up the subject of you needing to move on, then finding any job with the same or better pay is a priority no matter if you can grow in that position or not.

If it was you that brought up the subject, don't discuss it anymore with your employer to let it die and keep your income stream consistent and your job secure. Then train to acquire a new marketable skill. Maybe an event coordinator? Executive Assistants don't work with leadership to strategize ways to make or save money, although they may be present to take notes and schedule things.

Old 08-27-2018, 01:58 PM

708 posts, read 777,918 times
Without knowing more, there is likely a skills gap between your Executive Assistant role and the business analyst/support roles that you have been going for. Is there any internal training that you can take? Have you tried to speak to other departments (assuming you know other groups) to find out what it would take to make a move to their team?

I’m also curious as to why this was brought up after 12 years. Have you maxed your pay? Are they going to phase out your position? Is it a performance issue or a stagnation issue? Something there is disquieting. You may want to do an external job search as well.

Old 08-29-2018, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangomadness View Post
Without knowing more, there is likely a skills gap between your Executive Assistant role and the business analyst/support roles that you have been going for. Is there any internal training that you can take? Have you tried to speak to other departments (assuming you know other groups) to find out what it would take to make a move to their team?

Iím also curious as to why this was brought up after 12 years. Have you maxed your pay? Are they going to phase out your position? Is it a performance issue or a stagnation issue? Something there is disquieting. You may want to do an external job search as well.

Not a performance issue. Just ready to take it to the next level for my professional development. I'm going to start my search outside of the company as well.

Old 08-29-2018, 06:53 PM

5,684 posts, read 5,937,708 times
I think it is a tough sell from Executive Assistant to Business Analyst. Prepare yourself. They will interrogate you to the point of annoyance. The job market is not kind to middle-aged folks. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search