U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2018, 10:54 AM

5,685 posts, read 5,940,817 times

Advertisements

It amazes me so many of you think this type of behavior is okay. However, people averaged three month at my last place of employment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2018, 04:08 PM

8,979 posts, read 8,118,034 times
As to the manager eating a cookie. Some cookies are made to help solve a problem. They are a form of medicine in a cookie form. There are health conditions, that require the person to eat something to keep their blood sugar under control, etc. You call it unprofessional, without knowing if it was necessary for him to be doing such a thing. A busy executive, handling appointment or meetings on a steady basis all day, if they have such a medical problem they have no choice but to eat their medicine (cookie), while meeting with someone like the OP or anyone else for that matter.

In the corporate world, it is always expected for the applicant to have a resume with them. There are many times, the interviewer at this persons level, does not have the time to pull up the record and review it before the interview. The others that have interviewed the applicant for all intents and purposes, have done the real interviewing or the applicant would not have passed up the line to this executive. This person is only giving their stamp of approval of the applicant, and will do a little testing and will often make the applicant uncomfortable to see if they are a problem solver, or a problem maker.

This person may have wanted to make the applicant a little nervous to find if they can still handle themselves if a problem comes up, or if they just go to pieces. A simple test to find if they can handle themselves under pressure caused by a problem.

Due to the fact, that the OP was given an offer, proves the fact that he/she passed the tests multiple times, and they were satisfied they had found a good prospect to fill the job.

I know that a lot of posters in the work forums, complain about the questions they are asked, that have nothing to do with the job. They simply do not understand why those questions are asked. They are questions that the applicant cannot practice for, and shows the ability of the applicant to think, and handle some stress.

I have interviewed a lot of applicants over the years. In my corporate life I was as high as the Division Sales Manager for the Western Half of the country. I attended some excellent classes on interviewing, and the type of questions that will give the interviewer a fairly accurate look at the applicant and how they handle themselves under pressure. Sometimes a question that the applicant is asked that they have been unable to prepare for, turns them to tears and just sitting there shaking. That person is not going to be hired, as managers have learned a long time ago that applicant would do the same think if a problem suddenly faced them in the work place.

Old 09-02-2018, 05:08 PM

12,273 posts, read 11,332,006 times
^ Insightful. This can be turned around. As a clinician I routinely get jobs easily however in some cities it's very competitive. For six months my applications went no where. So when I got an interview, I showed up for the interview in boots a wrinkled T-shirt and jeans and sat down. I was focused and charming almost playful, but aloof and gave the most clinically sophisticated answers I could fathom and went into great detail in my answers. My dress and the contrast to my responses which were highly professional got the response I had hoped for. I walked out the door and the VP met me at the elevator and told me I had the position. Confidence can trump the doubts. So be prepared to put the interviewer off his game if you have the goods.

Old 09-02-2018, 06:00 PM

5,469 posts, read 2,355,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post
When an abusive man meets a women, he does not immediately bash her skull in but they are signs.

It is ridiculous to believe this type of behavior is acceptable. The OP made the right choice. Perhaps you should apply for the position. I have been there and done that. Sometimes, you do not have a choice. If you do have a choice, I think you should pass. There is a difference between being a straight shooter and a jerk. I think he was actually being nice. No!
that's "abusive" talk.

Anyway, no one said the behavior was acceptable. Rude maybe but abusive? I said "abuse" gets overused. So no need to become some crusader over it...

Old 09-02-2018, 08:18 PM

1,550 posts, read 404,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post
It amazes me so many of you think this type of behavior is okay. However, people averaged three month at my last place of employment.
You like the OP don't see this interview for what it was. The OP wasn't prepared for it, didn't have a printed copy of the resume which is expected, so the interviewer give a dose of reality to the situation. That's the feedback everyone keeps posting about here they are upset they don't get from employers. This one actually gave the feedback, and many of you are foolishly upset with it. It was good constructive feedback, and it had a job offer with it. You'd be so lucky to have someone actually tell you the truth in an interview. Most of the time, they pass you over and you don't even know why, and here the OP gets feedback and many of you think of this as being rude. It is not.

Old 09-02-2018, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
As to the manager eating a cookie. Some cookies are made to help solve a problem. They are a form of medicine in a cookie form. There are health conditions, that require the person to eat something to keep their blood sugar under control, etc. You call it unprofessional, without knowing if it was necessary for him to be doing such a thing. A busy executive, handling appointment or meetings on a steady basis all day, if they have such a medical problem they have no choice but to eat their medicine (cookie), while meeting with someone like the OP or anyone else for that matter.
Having a cookie, drinking coffee, a shake, or water, I don't see what difference this makes. When we have meetings at work often it is over lunch. Guess what we do? Big shock to many of you, we actually have food during lunch with the meeting. Amazing isn't it? Sometimes, the meetings aren't over lunch and someone puts out donuts, coffee and tea. A real shocker as you can see. I don't see why an interviewer should treat someone any different than if they were having a meeting with them once they are employed.

Old 09-02-2018, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 505HPC6Z06 View Post
So you decline an offer because he called you out for being unprepared and nervous and no other reason. I'm envious because I would like to be in a position to decline an offer for petty stuff. That guy is going to deliver messages right between the eyes. My kind of employer, because I like to give it right back. There is nothing wrong with being assertive.
Exactly! The OP got a great lesson here, but unfortunately didn't appreciate it.

Old 09-02-2018, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logical10x View Post

He was going to just glance over it, and then obnoxiously fixate on some random aspect of it and then he'd try to re-frame it as an error or blunder just to evoke a response or explanation.

This paradigm is the "S#!t-eater/Eating-s#!t" paradigm. Basically he wants to see you kowtow in a self-undermining way, i.e. if he says 2 + 2 is 5 and even if your position involves presenting numbers and insights to decisionmakers like him you're nonetheless supposed to agree with him. You dodged a bullet, though the paradigm I mention is really pervasive now, so you'll surely encounter more of it later.
You really got some twisted and cynical logic going on here. That's very unhealthy not only for you, but anyone else that listens to you. I hope you don't repeat this trash to children and young people seeking jobs.

Old 09-02-2018, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxthinkpinkxo View Post
Perhaps you'd work well under his managerial style. Just goes to show we're all different.
It is very likely you don't even know what a real professional environment is like. You have a distorted perception of what a professional environment is like where people are treated like adults.

Old 09-02-2018, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxthinkpinkxo View Post
Thanks, a week later zero regrets about turning down the offer. This was my first time applying for a corporate position. I've always worked at smaller companies in the past and I think that suits my personality more, I'm not all that competitive or aggressive in my career. It was a learning experience.
That explains a lot. You don't have adequate professional experience. You don't really know how people work in a place where they have important deadlines and people behave like adults and speak openly about problems and how to correct them. You don't realize it yet, but you will have regrets about turning this down, but the good news is you have time to change your behavior and grow. But I suspect at this point, any suggestion for you to change your behavior or offer any thing other than huge amounts of praise to you are going to be met with a negative reaction from you. Live and learn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or