U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2018, 08:59 PM

8,976 posts, read 8,099,396 times

Advertisements

FACT: 20% of all Americans, suffer from sugar based medical problems. When the feel a problem requiring them to take action to bring their system back in balance they either eat a certain cookie or a certain small candy with the right sugar content to bring their sugar level back in balance, or they may pass out. This is the most obvious reason the big boss ate that cookie, and they are not required to tell you they are eating a cookie because of health reasons. When they have to eat candy or cookie it is eat it right now.

The big boss did not have a resume to look at before the interview, as the application was on line, and there are things that should be on a proper resume,that is not an on line question. If you don't have a resume many interviewers end the interview right there. The prospective employee in the corporate world is always expected to have one with them when an interviewer asks to see one.

The big boss did not disrespect the OP, in fact was trying to give good advice from what she/he said. He was satisfied enough to recommended she/he be hired.

I do know a little about the subject having hired hundreds of people, and in the corporate world was as high as division sales manager for western half of nation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2018, 10:10 PM

298 posts, read 126,456 times
Thanks for the feedback everyone, you're definitely right I have no experience the corporate world and it certainly was a learning experience. That company just didn't seem like a good fit for me, especially after talking to the former employee who described the culture as toxic. However this department employs a lot of people so clearly some are able to work well under this persons management style. Yes I turned the offer down, so it'll be my loss if I cannot find new employment now but it's a risk I'm willing to take, it's important for me to enjoy my job and enjoy being there. I never thought about the cookie as appeasing a potential medical condition .... so it just goes to show perhaps I didn't have the whole story. Job interviews remind me of first dates -- you're trying to impress the person and assess if they're a good fit all at the same time. So you kind of make assumptions and draw conclusions and maybe they're wrong. But in terms of my interview, I had to make a decision and my gut was saying "No."

Old 09-03-2018, 12:25 AM

218 posts, read 111,697 times
In some ways yes, the interviewer should have had the resume, which is good to know. However, to me, it didn't sound that professional the way the employer handled the process. Since so many things are done online, we are not thinking so much to have copies of resumes anymore. We pay bills online, take pictures, keep things on file. Many applications are done online. In my opinion, the employer interviewing the poster her was not very professional.

Old 09-03-2018, 07:50 AM

4,649 posts, read 2,289,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
FACT: 20% of all Americans, suffer from sugar based medical problems. When the feel a problem requiring them to take action to bring their system back in balance they either eat a certain cookie or a certain small candy with the right sugar content to bring their sugar level back in balance, or they may pass out. This is the most obvious reason the big boss ate that cookie, and they are not required to tell you they are eating a cookie because of health reasons. When they have to eat candy or cookie it is eat it right now.
Wow. Your excuses never cease to amaze me and you've just managed to outdo yourself yet again. Bravo, sir!

Old 09-03-2018, 09:53 AM

2,078 posts, read 1,855,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rummage View Post
That explains a lot. You don't have adequate professional experience. You don't really know how people work in a place where they have important deadlines and people behave like adults and speak openly about problems and how to correct them. You don't realize it yet, but you will have regrets about turning this down, but the good news is you have time to change your behavior and grow. But I suspect at this point, any suggestion for you to change your behavior or offer any thing other than huge amounts of praise to you are going to be met with a negative reaction from you. Live and learn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post

The big boss did not have a resume to look at before the interview, as the application was on line, and there are things that should be on a proper resume,that is not an on line question. If you don't have a resume many interviewers end the interview right there. The prospective employee in the corporate world is always expected to have one with them when an interviewer asks to see one.

The big boss did not disrespect the OP, in fact was trying to give good advice from what she/he said. He was satisfied enough to recommended she/he be hired.

I do know a little about the subject having hired hundreds of people, and in the corporate world was as high as division sales manager for western half of nation.
I'm sorry but what?

Shouldn't the interviewer take care of his sugar problem first before the interview if he did have diabetes? Or excuse himself?

OP may have been unprepared but there's no excuse for the interviewer to be unprepared either.

Old 09-03-2018, 06:40 PM

922 posts, read 502,746 times
Sounds like a toxic environment to me. Not a good sign.

Old 09-03-2018, 08:17 PM

2,206 posts, read 930,610 times
I’ve interviewed many candidates through the years and not once did I ever go into the interview without first thoroughly reading the resume, adding my thoughts to it, and then bringing it with me to the interview. The person you ran into had no business conducting an interview, in my opinion. Eating a cookie is classless as well. Good for you in declining their offer.

Old 09-04-2018, 04:56 AM

1,546 posts, read 400,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deposite View Post
I'm sorry but what?

Shouldn't the interviewer take care of his sugar problem first before the interview if he did have diabetes? Or excuse himself?

OP may have been unprepared but there's no excuse for the interviewer to be unprepared either.
The interviewer was prepared, it was the OP that wasn't prepared. Every headhunter and job seeking 101 tells you to have a printed copy of your resume with you. To put this back on the person who ended up making the OP an offer is misguided. This has nothing to do with a possible sugar problem, it has to do with the interviewer behaving like they do in all meetings at that company. They bring in lunch at meetings I've been at, so I don't see what the problem is with someone having a cookie. What are you going to complain about next, them drinking water at the interview too?

Old 09-05-2018, 06:53 AM

173 posts, read 142,267 times
This sounds to me like a stress interview:

https://www.monster.com/career-advic...ress-interview

Quote:
It comes in many forms, from mildly provocative to sadistic. Its purpose: To put candidates on the defensive. The logic behind it: Stressful situations show the true person under the polished preparation, and candidates who perform well under pressure in the interview will handle work stress in a similar fashion.

Old 09-06-2018, 05:55 AM

2,078 posts, read 1,855,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rummage View Post
The interviewer was prepared, it was the OP that wasn't prepared. Every headhunter and job seeking 101 tells you to have a printed copy of your resume with you. To put this back on the person who ended up making the OP an offer is misguided. This has nothing to do with a possible sugar problem, it has to do with the interviewer behaving like they do in all meetings at that company. They bring in lunch at meetings I've been at, so I don't see what the problem is with someone having a cookie. What are you going to complain about next, them drinking water at the interview too?
You need to reread what I said.

I'm aware OP was unprepared but that doesn't excuse the interviewers behavior.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or