Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2018, 07:28 AM

2 posts, read 760 times

Advertisements

Hi all! I need advice or suggestions for what you would do if you were in my shoes. I am a recent graduate (which is terrifying enough as it is) and I accepted a part time, temporary position this summer. It really seemed to fit what I was looking for and even though I wanted something full time and much more stable, I felt that the experience I would get from this job would be worth it, despite the fact that I’d be job hunting again soon. I absolutely love my job and do not want to see it come to an end. My position is supposed to end in early-mid November. I have already started applying and searching for new positions, but no luck yet. I figured I would buckle down and get serious come September 1st.

A few weeks ago, my boss pulled me aside when I arrived in her office one morning, and asked me if a full time position were to open up in the future, if I would be interested. I clarified that this full time position would be doing something similar to what I am doing now and she said yes. I told her I would absolutely be interested, she said okay, that she just wanted to check, and we went about our days. I did see her meeting with HR later in the day, but I tried to not read too much into that because we are a pretty tight knit group — everyone is friendly with everyone.

I’ve debated and debated asking her about this, because I would love to stay, but I also don’t want to get my hopes up if this isn’t a true possibility. This week, I was determined to bring it up and state that I need to start looking for a position for when my time here ends, but I want to know if being brought on full time is a real possibility. When I was in her office that afternoon, I was waiting for a good time to ask, and she suddenly mentioned how she likes to show me the way she does certain things because we “never know” what can happen in the future. I also think she said that the full time position IS opening up, they just don’t know what it is going to be. I could have misunderstood her though, she may have said that the position might be opening up and they don’t know what it will entail yet. I lost my nerve after this and we moved on.

What would you all make of this situation? As I said, I’m a recent graduate so I don’t have a ton of experience in a professional setting like this. In your experience, would you assume a full time position being offered to me is a real possibility? Am I getting my hopes up too soon? Should I ask or is that inappropriate? Any advice would be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2018, 08:02 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,520,307 times
It is not inappropriate at all so just ask. You had a perfect window when she first asked you. You should have just followed up with "Do you have any jobs opening up soon? I know my time here ends soon so I have to start looking, but I love it here and I'd love to stay." Either way, just talk to your boss. They know you are on a limited assignment so asking this should be no surprise. If I was your boss and you didn't ask me, I'd assume it wasn't a huge deal to me if you stayed here or went elsewhere. Ask already.

Old 08-31-2018, 08:24 AM

29,506 posts, read 22,616,067 times
Well, the answer is right there in what they said:

Quote:
I also think she said that the full time position IS opening up, they just don’t know what it is going to be.
Number one rule in life when it comes to things like these, is if it's not on paper or on contract, then it's never going to be. So many people throughout history have been burned and fooled by feel good but meaningless words meant only to string along and give false hopes. It's similar to the 'kiss of death' statement after a job interview, IF another position opens up in the future, we may consider you.

You are young and probably still naive about these things, so my only advice is to NOT tell them anything more about looking for other jobs. Your employers are not your friend, and trying to 'pressure' them into making a decision by letting them know you're looking for other opportunities is not going to work. In fact, one should never inform their current employers they are looking for another job outside of the company (internal applications are completely different). Again, these people are not your friends, keep it professional. You may think they are great people, but always watch out for your own self.

Bottom line, never believe feel good and hopeful words. As far as you are concerned, don't get your hopes up anymore waiting for something that isn't there. Just keep searching for another job in earnest without saying anything more to your current employer, as November is coming up fast. Look for something more permanent and stable. At least you are covered in this respect, if you get a great job offer elsewhere, you can take it. Or maybe your current employer actually will have a permanent position open by then. Just don't limit yourself to only one option based on a hope

Good luck.

Old 08-31-2018, 01:09 PM

301 posts, read 189,053 times
You should absolutely ask and you should absolutely not feel bad or awkward about it. Simply saying, "Hey, I've enjoyed my time here and would love to stay should the opportunity to convert to FTE arise. Securing full-time employment is my priority. Please let me know by _____ so that I may make appropriate plans."

This is a neutral and non-threatening way to say that you are aware that things are up in the air as far as an FTE position for you is concerned and that you're interested in that hypothetical position but not interested in being strung along for an indefinite period of time. You value yourself and what you can offer this company, and hopefully they recognize your worth as well.

Honestly, some companies just need the kick to get it going. I just did this where I currently work. I was hired on as a contractor with an initial 6-month term that had a "strong likelihood of extension." The company I work for is notorious for routinely extending contractor terms for months and sometimes even years at a time, for positions that really have no business not being FTE. When the end of my initial engagement term came along, I politely said that I was not interested in being renewed as a contractor but that I was interested in continuing in the role as an FTE. I asked to know by August 1st whether or not this was possible. And then I kept following up until I got an answer. Again, I was neutral and non-threatening but clearly let them know that if they didn't convert by August 1st, I would be looking elsewhere. They didn't want to lose me, so they did it - a whole day early, on July 31st. Turns out, they were planning on converting the position all along, but probably would have drawn the process out for longer had I not stepped up and asked otherwise.

My role is critical and unique so this strategy may not work across the board, but the moral of this story is that it's not inappropriate to let them know what will work for you and what won't. You need to know and they should understand that. If they don't understand or don't take you seriously, go somewhere else. Sounds like they like you and you like them and it's a good fit! So don't let them string you out.

Old 08-31-2018, 04:23 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,038,222 times
This isn’t a unique work situation, it is actually fairly common for new grads to experience something of this sort.

It sounds as if your boss respects you and wants to help develop your career, which is an excellent sign. Don’t be afraid to ask relevant questions, such as the status, timing, or certainty of an upcoming position. If your boss is really interested in being a mentor, she will answer these questions with no penalties to you.

On the other hand, if there is no certainty on this potential position, your personal best interest is probably to look around for a better, full-time position. This doesn’t mean you are being disloyal to your boss, it means that you are doing what is necessary to secure your career progression.

Apply for jobs, see what is out there, develop some experience and skill in interviewing. It will most likely take you some time to land a decent FT job, and it sounds as if you are in a good position to look at the moment. If your boss does come through with a position, then take it if it is reasonably responsible and compensated.

Old 08-31-2018, 04:32 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,644,424 times
First of all, don't assume anything. That will get you in trouble.

Secondly, I understand you are nervous because this is a first job, but you have got to actually ASK your supervisor if a full time position is going to open up - and if so, when, and if you are being seriously considered for it.

That is all.

Old 08-31-2018, 10:06 PM

29,506 posts, read 22,616,067 times
Again, the OP states that the boss mentioned that the full time position is opening up, but they don't know when.

I don't really see the point of the OP asking the boss any further about this position. If the boss doesn't know for sure, what other information does anyone here think the OP is going to get?

As mentioned already, start that job search in earnest. The OP doesn't owe the boss or the company any 'heads up' that they are looking for a job. That serves zero purpose, your employers are not your friends despite what some may think. I suspect the OP wants to talk to the boss and use this information about looking for another job, in order to 'pressure' or leverage that information into speeding up the opening of the full time position.

If that is the OP's intent, then by all means go for it, if it's going to make the OP feel better. But looking for a job has zero leverage as compared to actually having an offer letter in hand from another company, and then telling your boss, hey, I really like it here, but i have this other offer...

Old 09-01-2018, 08:58 AM

2 posts, read 760 times
It’s not my intent to use my job search to “pressure” my current employer by any means. I simply want to know if there is, in fact, a full time position opening up, and if so, when it may open up and if it will be offered to me or if there will be a typical application and interview process. I really just want to know what to expect. I want to know if there’s a good chance I will end up here full time, because I would love to stay here. I was asking what everyone thought based on the conversations I’ve had with my boss — if, in their experience, this sounded promising or not. I also wanted to know how someone else would handle this... basically, if it’s appropriate to ask these questions, or if it’s unprofessional. Appreciate all the input and responses, everyone!!

Old 09-01-2018, 10:12 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,038,222 times
It does sound promising, it is appropriate to ask, and you should be looking for a FT job in case this one doesn't come through. Your instinct not to use your job search to pressure your current boss is probably good. It sounds as if they are trying to work on your behalf, external pressure probably won't help.

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search