Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2013, 03:24 PM

1 posts, read 5,656 times

Advertisements

So I just got back from the interview, and I'm applying for buffalo wild wings. Here is what happen

I arrived at the location, and there was one other person waiting to be interviewed. The interview was done by taking a walk outside with the interviewer. So I'm waiting inside for the other person to be interviewed. There was another guy sitting at the desk who seem to be the head of everything. So they return, and he was sitted to be interviewed by the head manager I'm assuming. Then I got interviewed and we also took the walk, but when we were done he didn't ask me to stay and get interviewed by the head manager. Before I left he said that they are still interviewing people, and that they will give me a call nxt week. I have a feeling I'm not getting hired..... what do you guys think...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2013, 03:32 PM

2,633 posts, read 6,398,883 times
Not a good sign. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Old 05-31-2013, 04:31 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,006,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongRon View Post
So I just got back from the interview, and I'm applying for buffalo wild wings. Here is what happen

I arrived at the location, and there was one other person waiting to be interviewed. The interview was done by taking a walk outside with the interviewer. So I'm waiting inside for the other person to be interviewed. There was another guy sitting at the desk who seem to be the head of everything. So they return, and he was sitted to be interviewed by the head manager I'm assuming. Then I got interviewed and we also took the walk, but when we were done he didn't ask me to stay and get interviewed by the head manager. Before I left he said that they are still interviewing people, and that they will give me a call nxt week. I have a feeling I'm not getting hired..... what do you guys think...

Whenever you hear that they are interviewing other people it's never a good sign so I would just move on to the next opportunity.

Old 05-31-2013, 05:09 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,837,015 times
There is an old saying that "A big shot is just a little shot who keeps shooting." In other words, the people who succeed are the ones who shake off disappointments and keep plugging away.

That probably wasn't a good sign at your interview, but it was a learning experience and you will do better at the next one. Here are some things you can do to improve your chances in an interview:

1) Show up 15 minutes early and have a PEN WITH YOU, and something to write on. It will show you are organized and if you carry a note pad it makes you look more important. It is always bad form to have to ask for a pen to fill out an application.

2) The first 30 seconds make or break an interview, first impressions really count. Act interested and confident, look the interviewer in the eye, thank them for taking their valuable time to meet with you, shake their hand FIRMLY, and then shut up. Let them take it from there, but tell them you are excited about the opportunity to work for their company.

3) Clean yourself up ! I can't tell you how many interviewees I have had who walk in with scruffy clothes, rings sticking in their lips and eyebrows, and tats all over the place, and they actually think they are going to be hired. I realize that times are different today, but not so much in the hiring game, interviewers form an opinion in the first few seconds and usually do not budge off of that opinion, regardless of how qualified you might be. If you are covered with tats, put long sleeves on, at least.

4) Act alive. People have lost their ability to communicate. I see so many people, young and old, who do not know how to carry on a conversation. Interviewers want to see someone who acts interested and will not only answer questions, but who will respond with more than one word answers.

5) At the end of the interview thank the interviewer, tell them you are extremely interested in the position (even if you have to think about it) and tell them you would love the opportunity to prove yourself to them and their company. People hire people they like. Make the interviewer see you as someone they like and who would be a good prospect for that position.

And, like I said, you will have to interview for probably more than one job before you land one. Every one of us has been turned down for a job, it is just part of the process.

Don

Old 05-31-2013, 05:42 PM

382 posts, read 664,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
Whenever you hear that they are interviewing other people it's never a good sign so I would just move on to the next opportunity.
Its the worst feeling in the world when you see a whole line of people being interviewed. This has occurred on every single interview I've been on besides #1 and #2. To the OP, do not count on it. Employers have a really poor meaning of the word 'will". It usually means get the candidate the hell off the company's grounds. Do not take it personally, this is strictly business.

Old 05-31-2013, 05:50 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,006,074 times
Bad Interview Signs

1. Interviewer mentioning others will be interviewed

2. Interviewer don't offer business card

3. Interviewer No clear time frame on when a decision will be made to fill position

4. Interview doesn't feel like a conversation

5. Interviewer doesn't smile a lot while talking to you and ask difficult questions

Old 05-31-2013, 06:13 PM

349 posts, read 274,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
There is an old saying that "A big shot is just a little shot who keeps shooting." In other words, the people who succeed are the ones who shake off disappointments and keep plugging away.

That probably wasn't a good sign at your interview, but it was a learning experience and you will do better at the next one. Here are some things you can do to improve your chances in an interview:

1) Show up 15 minutes early and have a PEN WITH YOU, and something to write on. It will show you are organized and if you carry a note pad it makes you look more important. It is always bad form to have to ask for a pen to fill out an application.

2) The first 30 seconds make or break an interview, first impressions really count. Act interested and confident, look the interviewer in the eye, thank them for taking their valuable time to meet with you, shake their hand FIRMLY, and then shut up. Let them take it from there, but tell them you are excited about the opportunity to work for their company.

3) Clean yourself up ! I can't tell you how many interviewees I have had who walk in with scruffy clothes, rings sticking in their lips and eyebrows, and tats all over the place, and they actually think they are going to be hired. I realize that times are different today, but not so much in the hiring game, interviewers form an opinion in the first few seconds and usually do not budge off of that opinion, regardless of how qualified you might be. If you are covered with tats, put long sleeves on, at least.

4) Act alive. People have lost their ability to communicate. I see so many people, young and old, who do not know how to carry on a conversation. Interviewers want to see someone who acts interested and will not only answer questions, but who will respond with more than one word answers.

5) At the end of the interview thank the interviewer, tell them you are extremely interested in the position (even if you have to think about it) and tell them you would love the opportunity to prove yourself to them and their company. People hire people they like. Make the interviewer see you as someone they like and who would be a good prospect for that position.

And, like I said, you will have to interview for probably more than one job before you land one. Every one of us has been turned down for a job, it is just part of the process.

Don

1 and 2 are nonsense.

Who carries a notepad around with them at all times?

And I feel like enough people suck up to the interviewer that it rarely feels genuine anymore.

I agree with 3 and 4.

5 is standard procedure, but don't make it look rehearsed.

Old 05-31-2013, 06:15 PM

349 posts, read 274,094 times
Quote:
Bad Interview Signs

3. Interviewer No clear time frame on when a decision will be made to fill position

5. Interviewer doesn't smile a lot while talking to you and ask difficult questions

I think 3 is wrong because businesses are so clueless as to when they will actually make a decision as to be worthless.

Even if they give you a date, what's the point when they miss it by 3 weeks?

I think 5 is also wrong. Especially if you have a male interviewer. Guys don't tend to smile constantly when talking.

I think 2 is meh. Some people don't use business cards, so that doesn't necessarily mean anything.

I think 1 and 4 are good though.

Old 05-31-2013, 06:27 PM

382 posts, read 664,219 times
Quote:
Bad Interview Signs

Admittedly, I had issues with #4 up until the last several interviews. Part of the reason was I take my self too seriously. One of the last two is interested in another interview. I must be doing something right. It's all in trial and error is how I look at it.

Old 05-31-2013, 06:39 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,837,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poweramplifyingionairline View Post
1 and 2 are nonsense.

Who carries a notepad around with them at all times?

And I feel like enough people suck up to the interviewer that it rarely feels genuine anymore.

I agree with 3 and 4.

5 is standard procedure, but don't make it look rehearsed.
How is it "nonsense" to suggest a person should show up at an interview as if he or she is someone who is not a soup sandwich ? You want to be different (in a positive way) than every other person who walked in the door looking for that job. If the interviewer asks you to fill out an application and then you have to say "Oh, can I borrow a pen?" you have just committed strike one. It might be a little thing, but little things are all you have until the talks start becoming serious.

Now, as for number 2 being "nonsense", your logic makes even less sense. How can you find fault with anything in this suggestion ?

Those are all things that separate a lackluster candidate from one that shows they have something going for them between their ears. I've interviewed and have been interviewed a lot of times in my life, and those are some of the things that always impress me when someone does them........and that is what you are trying to do, impress the interviewer enough to get that second interview. I don't care if you are applying for a job at McDonalds, flipping burgers, or for the CEO position at a Fortune 500 company, those same basics always apply.

Don
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search