U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 09-06-2018, 01:21 PM
 
Location: Southeast Texas
747 posts, read 1,210,253 times
Reputation: 571

Advertisements

Last Wednesday I was contacted by two different companies and they scheduled the interviews - one was for a telephone interview scheduled yesterday. The other was an in-person interview scheduled last Thursday. Company A (Thursday's interview) offered me the job a couple of hours after the interview contingent upon successful completion on the background check. I accepted, and now am waiting on them to complete their background check. That should be probably early next week I'm guessing.

Company B's telephone interview/screening was done yesterday. Now they want an in-person interview with the local office tomorrow morning. I didn't expect to get this far with Company B.

There is nothing in my background that would raise any red flags with Company A except my credit is currently trashed. The paperwork I signed said they "may" do a credit check. It's not directly finance related. I'm not sure if the company requires credit checks and it was just standard wording on the background check form, or if they require credit scores above a certain level. That would be the only thing I can think of for them to rescind the offer.

What would you do? Go to in-person interview anyway? Tell Company B you've already accepted another position (even though I have the signed offer letter, I don't have a start date and haven't filled out the new-hire paperwork yet)? More info if needed: Company A job is starting part-time, and moving to full-time in a couple of months if things work out. I believe Company B's position is full-time to start. Both are entry-level (customs entry writer and logistics coordinator)

I don't think I've ever been in this situation so am not sure how to proceed without burning any bridges.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-06-2018, 05:56 PM
 
17,258 posts, read 10,183,539 times
Reputation: 28778
I would go interview with company B if it's tomorrow morning, why not. You probably won't be hearing anything back from company A anyhow, at least not until next week.

This way, at least you interviewed with B as an option and you won't think what if (but no guarantee at this point you'll get an offer from them).

Obviously company B is better since it's full time, I never trust those "part time to full time" gigs. But like I said there's no guarantee you'll get an offer from B, and there's a chance you'll hear back from company A on the background check before then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-06-2018, 06:02 PM
 
602 posts, read 452,726 times
Reputation: 668
Push for company B.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-06-2018, 06:18 PM
 
Location: Whidbey Island, WA
12,272 posts, read 11,320,892 times
Reputation: 6114
You can't really make a good decision until you have both offers in writing....

Delay, don't be available until you have both offers....assuming you get them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-06-2018, 06:54 PM
 
17,258 posts, read 10,183,539 times
Reputation: 28778
Yea hopefully the timing will work out right. By the time the background check from A is complete, you'll hear back from company B as well with an offer (or not).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-07-2018, 06:35 AM
 
Location: Southeast Texas
747 posts, read 1,210,253 times
Reputation: 571
Thank you everyone! I'm going to go ahead with the interview with Company B this morning and hope for the best. Something my husband pointed out is that as of right now, I have no idea what my schedule will be with Company A (days and hours working), and that shouldn't require the background check for that information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-16-2018, 06:16 PM
 
Location: Southeast Texas
747 posts, read 1,210,253 times
Reputation: 571
Hi everyone - I thought I would give a quick update. I went to the interview the Company B and I think I did okay. Not great but okay. They asked me a number of questions on how I handled stressful situations while on the job, what I did to decompress from job stress, and things of that nature. I'm not sure if my answers were what they wanted to hear (going hiking and camping when we can and walking in the park in the evenings). During the interview, I got the distinct impression from the panel that they didn't really want to be interviewing me and had way too much other work to do. Makes me wonder about that job. I never heard back from Company B and it's been a week. Also the commute would have been a nightmare - anyone from Houston? Cy-Fair area to Galleria down Hwy 290.

Company A officially offered me the position and my first day is tomorrow. It's part-time to start and they said will be full-time in the very near future. Hopefully that will pan out. At least I have a job and and I can ease back into working after a 3-year gap in employment (I was going to school full-time).

Thank you all for the advice and recommendations!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top