U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2018, 02:36 AM

2,718 posts, read 1,185,401 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLgaltoo View Post
Are they old school? I like phone interviews. I think they are a great screening for both sides prior to an actual face to face interview. Thoughts?
Not really. It provides an efficient way to screen potential employees to see if their resume holds water.

I got a phone interview couple days ago regarding my application for a senior engineering position and all the hiring manager and technical lead wanted to know was, did I have some idea of the knowledge of what I put on my resume. What was I looking for and why did I want to leave my current employer.

Once they found out I was the real deal (and apparently I amazed them enough with my answers), I got a email immediately the day after requesting an on-site interview. Cheers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2018, 05:14 AM

711 posts, read 779,432 times
All of my recent interviews started with an initial phone screen with HR, followed by a first round phone interview. I like this way better because 1) I don’t have to get full-on business professional, 2) I have more time to prepare, 3) I’m in an environment of my choosing, 4) if the job isn’t what I thought, I didn’t waste my time getting professionally dressed, driving to their location, and keeping myself from showing too many facial expressions indicating that “you just wasted my time”.

If a hiring manager doesn’t want to do a phone interview, it could mean that they have a quick hiring process or, based on your experience, they know you would be a good fit already and are skipping the phone round or they just want to see what you look like. The last one is weird, but it can be true when in sales or high profile public facing roles.

Old 09-08-2018, 06:57 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,827 posts, read 33,243,305 times
I've both done them for my own job search and been on search committees that conducted them within the last year. They're definitely not dead!

Old 09-08-2018, 06:18 PM

5,685 posts, read 5,945,248 times
Quote:
Has not been my job search experience.....
Really? The majority were phone interviews. Only one wanted me to come in for an in person interview before screening. I regret that exchange.

Old 09-10-2018, 09:30 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
29,866 posts, read 54,568,102 times
I did one just last spring, but would never hire someone without a face-to-face interview. In this case the person was out of the state during the interview dates so we did the phone. If she had been the top candidate we would have scheduled an interview at the office when she returned.

Old 09-10-2018, 11:42 AM

4,357 posts, read 8,005,077 times
Most of mine has started with some type of phone screen. Even if it was just 10-15 min with the HR person making sure you actually want the job, etc. Even ones where I was personally referred by a colleague/friend.

And it's more that way now than before. If I think back to where the HR person just called to setup a F2F interview, it would be like 10 years ago. I actually prefer it this way. I rather realize things weren't going to work out on the phone. It'd be a waste of maybe 15 minutes as opposed to an hour plus of preparation, driving, parking, waiting, etc.

Old 09-10-2018, 12:31 PM

1,799 posts, read 1,028,410 times
As HR Manager I first do a phone screen before scheduling in person interviews with hiring managers.

By this point the resumes have been been evaluated by the hiring manager that shows candidates show qualifying knowledge and experience.

The phone screen is basically 15 minutes to determine candidates have some knowledge of our industry, knows our location and business hours, the listed wage, and general communication skills.

I'm happy to answer general company questions (benefits, 401-k etc) but ask they leave specifics to the hiring manager.

Old 09-16-2018, 03:57 PM

2,078 posts, read 606,160 times
Phone interviews can be great (IF STRUCTURED PROPERLY!) for both the candidate and the employer.

Old 09-16-2018, 06:04 PM

18 posts, read 4,702 times
I do not like telephone interviews. I prefer to interview in person.
telephone interviews eat up my cell phone minutes and don't get the job, leaving me unable to reach out to other jobs.
I do like a a very short phone interview to get some insight into the company. Do i like the person. Are they respectful of my time. etc.

Quote:
Are they old school? I like phone interviews. I think they are a great screening for both sides prior to an actual face to face interview. Thoughts?

Old 09-17-2018, 09:57 AM

5,091 posts, read 2,153,937 times
The seem "new school" to me, as I never previously did them. I wish they'd go away since they just an extra hurdle, since you always have to do the in-person one. Another added layer of b.s. to pile on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or