U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2018, 08:12 AM

4,648 posts, read 2,287,789 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
These types of questions are sometimes used by more laid back interviewers just to see about personality and sense of humor, (like asking who your favorite Star Wars character is and why)
I guess being truthful and answering "I've never been a fan of Star Wars" isn't going to go down very well...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2018, 10:38 AM

10,610 posts, read 13,138,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsthetime View Post
I guess being truthful and answering "I've never been a fan of Star Wars" isn't going to go down very well...
Probably not. Neither would saying how Spock was your favorite. Its basically away to see about camaraderie, shared interests. People gravitate towards other's with similar interests especially with entertainment.

Old 09-15-2018, 02:14 PM

8,974 posts, read 8,096,455 times
People still do not understand the real purpose of the questions not related to your ability to do the job itself. Lets look at from the HM point of view.

I am going to interview several people who on the surface ca do the job, with the experience and education to do the job. We know that the applicant has in most cases practice being interviewed, and has the job related questions covered with practiced answers. Lets say there are 10 applicants all qualified on paper for the job. They have all as I said, done practice interviews, and as long as I stay on questions related to the job, they all give me the same type of answers. On the surface they all see equally qualified for the job.

Now I come down to the important part of selecting who gets hired.

1---Can they think and react immediately if there is a problem. I need to find out of they can think and respond under slight pressure. To do this, I will ask them questions from out in left field. The answers may not be important at all. Asked to see if they get flustered and cannot answer and react in an intelligent way. OR. Can they think under pressure enough to answer the question, no matter how out of left field it is. Some people will become so upset, they will just get up and walk out. Some people will stammer and actually shake, and cannot come up with an answer. Those people thrown off their ability to think and react if asked a to them stupid question, they will just sit there and shake, unable to answer. People in those categories, are worthless if having to work under pressure. These people are eliminated from further consideration. The important thing is, the answers to those questions are not important, but asked to see if you are able to come up with a reasonable answer, showing you can handle pressure and are a problem solver.

2: Some questions are asked, to see if you have a personality that will fit in with your coworkers in that department. In many jobs, your ability to fit in with the type of customers they attract, and how you will fit in with co-workers is #1 priority of a new employee. A bad fit, can disrupt the department enough to lower production in the department.

These are the two major reasons that the employer, HR, and HM ask what have been in all appearances to employees, very odd ball questions, with no relation to the job that you are applying for. Yes they have nothing to do with the job you are applying for, but the help the one conducting the interview, get answers as to your fitting into the company, and help them to know if you can think on your feet when confronted with a problem.

Yes, people fail the tests confronting them with odd ball questions. In most cases, the answer you give, has not determination on who gets hired. The big thing is not the answer, but your ability to be able to give an an answer when you are under pressure is what is being sought. The big thing is, are you able to think on your feet well enough to give some type of answer, or are you so upset you just walk out of the interview.

The questions may very well determine who gets hired and who does not get the job.

Old 09-18-2018, 08:42 AM

5,091 posts, read 2,138,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLgaltoo View Post
(Twenty something interviewer) Where do you want to be in five years

(60 year old me). RETIRED!
I can relate to interviews with "young-uns", 20-something kids. So weird...

Old 09-18-2018, 09:30 AM

1,991 posts, read 864,081 times
Tell me about yourself is not a crazy interview question and pretty common.

Old 09-18-2018, 09:36 AM

1,991 posts, read 864,081 times
With that being said arenít tech companies known for asking insane questions during interviews?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or