U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2018, 12:00 PM

497 posts, read 675,505 times

Advertisements

I am overworked and stressed at my current job. I would like a job with more work life balance and less stess. I can not say that in interviews i feel. Some may think i am lazy or lack ambition. Is that true? What would be a better thing to say in interviews? If I say more challenge and responsibility, well I will have a position that is basically the same predictament. My position is challenging already lol
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2018, 04:38 PM

1,863 posts, read 718,513 times
Depends on what line of work you are in. I always used the line "low quality work environment". Unfortunately, the new jobs that I went to also fit that description.

Old 09-14-2018, 11:16 PM

7,148 posts, read 2,936,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobseeker2013 View Post
I am overworked and stressed at my current job. I would like a job with more work life balance and less stess. I can not say that in interviews i feel. Some may think i am lazy or lack ambition. Is that true? What would be a better thing to say in interviews? If I say more challenge and responsibility, well I will have a position that is basically the same predictament. My position is challenging already lol
IMHO, it sounds more as if you need to figure out what aspects of the work you do now (or within your chosen field) is stressful for you and what aspects of the work you enjoy or are energized by. Figure out what aspects you DO want more of and what you need LESS of. Do you do better directing others to deal with the day to day tasks or do you want to DO those day to day tasks and not manage or direct others to? It's probably not as simple as being "overworked and stressed out"....that doesn't really explain anything...those are sort of vague excuses. Everyone gets overworked at times in any job. Not all stress is bad. Consider being challenged by the work. Being challenged can be stressful, but it's not in a negative way. If you happened to enjoy the work even though it was more than you could get done in a given amount of time I'd suspect you wouldn't feel stressed out by it. If a job NEVER stresses you at all, chances are you'd be bored to sobs. Being bored and never stimulated or challenged by the work is also pretty stressful. If you get worn down and stressed when put in a situation where you have no control, no authority to make things happen, that's a very different situation from being worn down and stressed out by too much responsibility without any backup or relief.

I wonder if a career counselor could help you shed some light on just where your aptitude, skills, and interests would be best suited. Maybe you are "done" with the career you chose previously. Maybe it's evolved beyond your interests. Maybe you never really knew what it would turn out to become. Maybe it's time for a recap. As they say, if you have a job you love you'll never work a day in your life.

Old 09-15-2018, 08:47 AM

1,550 posts, read 403,540 times
Quote:
You need to answer the question with why you want to work for their company. So focus on that, because it offers something in the work environment such as growth that your current place doesn't. You dwell on what is wrong where you are at, they then view you as unprofessional because you are speaking negativity about it.

Remember, it is a job interview, not a place to give true confessions.

Old 09-16-2018, 07:28 AM

3,791 posts, read 1,381,466 times
Talk about what u learned at the current job and how u can use those skills to help you at the current job you are applying for

Old 09-16-2018, 03:47 PM

2,075 posts, read 601,920 times
"How is the department with managing expectations of multiple internal stakeholders?"

The reason I say internal - Is most of the extra work is political in nature and not truly necessary.

Old 09-17-2018, 07:27 AM

6,885 posts, read 7,286,872 times
YOU want more work life balance and less stress....what you say why you want to work for their company....and how your skills can be an asset to the company.

Interviewers/companies don't care what YOU want. YOU care what you want. You just have to play the game and say what they want to hear....in order to get what you want. (And pray that once you get in there it really is what they said it would be.)

Old 09-20-2018, 09:15 AM

1,590 posts, read 826,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
YOU want more work life balance and less stress....what you say why you want to work for their company....and how your skills can be an asset to the company.

Interviewers/companies don't care what YOU want. YOU care what you want. You just have to play the game and say what they want to hear....in order to get what you want. (And pray that once you get in there it really is what they said it would be.)
I agree 100%. Personally, the "why did you leave" question is the most difficult when you don't have a clear-cut reason for having left. I still don't really have a good answer, because you don't want to come across as negative, but at the same time, you want to be able to justify your reason for leaving. I just say I left to pursue another opportunity but things just didn't materialize. That doesn't sound great, but I think it sounds better than "personal reasons", "health issues", "toxic work environment", etc.

Old 09-20-2018, 12:37 PM

65 posts, read 53,302 times
submitting 2 weeks, IMO is better than being let go. i'm in the accounting field (came from the tasks such as p&l preparation and consolidaiton, billability reporting, billing rates comparison, reconciliation of both US and int'l accounts) and where i was before, i am now, it was in the fixed assets group, but none of the tasks i had done previously....a monthly basis of "going live" with assets within peoplesoft...and that's about it. I do say as a result of this my productivity was just a hair below the bell curve average, and i was given the option - resign with 2 weeks notice given or termination due to productivity.

not sure, but from what i read and was told, 2 weeks notice was more professionally and so i gave my 2 weeks. although i gave it a good 2 years, it wasn't my cup of accounting that was worth pursuing. so i said i wanted to go back into the consolidation/reconciliation, billability aspect of accounting and gave my 2 weeks.

now if they call my previous employeer i wonder if the employer would say - would they outright say "just below the bell curve productivity" or what? what i'm doing now, for a good 8 months is working with the asst director of finance/general accounting and have had good working relationship w/her and the other team members - i'm sure i'd be given a good review from them, but it's the previous employeer that has me wondering.

anyone else? tia for reading and my poor capitalisation on sentences.

Old 09-25-2018, 08:04 PM

1,319 posts, read 1,184,007 times
Quote:
I assume you want to stay in the same general field. If so, saying that you want to leave your current job for better "work life balance" may come across as you do not want to work hard and you want less to do. I would guess that would end most interviews unless the company interviewing you was going to offer you a lower value job with the corresponding lower salary.

Instead, if you are overworked, I would suggest talking about wanting to focus on a certain type of work. Pick those parts of your job you enjoy doing, look realistically at the value of that type of work and look for jobs that need someone who can focus on that type of work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search