U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2018, 10:06 PM

2,614 posts, read 2,248,036 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
You’re resume is primarily for determining how good or skilled you are, not your interview. There could be 100s of equally qualified people. Interview is about soft skills and fit and making sure you aren’t lying.
People can put anything they want on a resume. It doesn't mean anything until verified they actually have the skills to accomplish what they said they accomplished. I would much rather determine skills through the interview. Then you can talk about problem solving, strategy, what they have accomplished, how the went about it and why, critical thinking etc.... I actually never cared too much about cultural fit, communication skills absolutely for certain roles, technical skills right at the top, hired a lot of engineers and very rarely had any issues with fit. Sure it happened some, but no more than any other department in the company that spent a ton of time trying to find that candidate with the exact cultural fit.

IMO, thinking every single candidate you interview has the skills to do the job and the only thing that then matters is fit, is a pretty poor way to go about interviewing and finding the best qualified for the position.

Last edited by High Altitude; 10-15-2018 at 10:45 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2018, 03:14 PM

1,922 posts, read 816,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Altitude View Post
People can put anything they want on a resume. It doesn't mean anything until verified they actually have the skills to accomplish what they said they accomplished. I would much rather determine skills through the interview. Then you can talk about problem solving, strategy, what they have accomplished, how the went about it and why, critical thinking etc.... I actually never cared too much about cultural fit, communication skills absolutely for certain roles, technical skills right at the top, hired a lot of engineers and very rarely had any issues with fit. Sure it happened some, but no more than any other department in the company that spent a ton of time trying to find that candidate with the exact cultural fit.

IMO, thinking every single candidate you interview has the skills to do the job and the only thing that then matters is fit, is a pretty poor way to go about interviewing and finding the best qualified for the position.
You apparently didnít read the last 5 words of my sentence.

Old 10-16-2018, 03:49 PM

832 posts, read 218,802 times
cultural fit can be very important:

entreprenurial vs. bureaucratic environment
individualistic vs. team decision making
policy/regulations vs. on-the-fly environment
high product quality/safety/long lead times vs. time to market focus
engineering driven vs. marketing driven
adaptability to high paced rapidly changing environments

Old 10-18-2018, 09:28 AM

2,078 posts, read 605,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
You apparently didnít read the last 5 words of my sentence.
There has to be a way to screen them out prior to the interview.

Joe Average #1 - #100 all claim to have semi-conductor gauge test control QA experience with a 0.1% error rate. How do you verify that prior to the interview without conducting 100 phone interviews? This is why I don't believe in 1 page resumes with just bullet point accomplishments and sound bytes.

Old 04-29-2019, 01:17 AM

39 posts, read 6,202 times
There may have been a ton of qualified job applicants that applied and were interviewed for this position.

Old 04-29-2019, 10:48 AM

2,477 posts, read 703,112 times
NEVER get emotionally attached to ANY job interview, or job application.

Apply, move on.

Interview, move on.

Always keep moving. Always apply for more jobs.

Always assume you're not getting the job due to some insanely ridiculous reason. Remember, employers are spoiled at the huge amount talent applying for their jobs, so many times they get several candidates with identical qualifications so they wind up rejecting people for stupid reasons.

Now, if you get the job offer, then you can pause and evaluate the job offer. BUT DO NOT GET EMOTIONALLY ATTACHED. You may not like the job offer, or if you attempt to negotiate, they yank it.

Remember, you're not employed until you're on the job collecting a paycheck.

Old 04-29-2019, 06:06 PM

5,685 posts, read 5,945,248 times
Happy Birthday! Yes, I know. It sucks but there isn't anything you can do. Move on and good luck!

Old 04-30-2019, 04:04 AM

668 posts, read 319,132 times
Adopt the mantra of sales people...keep applying...eventually a stream of “no” will turn into a “yes”.

Old 04-30-2019, 01:07 PM

2,722 posts, read 4,799,409 times
I had a second interview last week, which went great. Got the notice today that due to a change in business needs they are no longer filling the position at all.
What a waste of time that was.

In my waiting period I did keep applying and hope I get another interview soon and a job offer right after. I never thought getting a job would be so hard.

Old 04-30-2019, 02:13 PM

9,528 posts, read 13,470,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxthinkpinkxo View Post
Hi everyone, just wanted to hear how you all deal with being turned down for an offer.

I'm honestly a bit bummed today (also happens to be my birthday so that kind of stinks). I was thrilled about getting an interview for a position at a company in my city. I've used the company's services regularly and I love its mission. The position sounded quite interesting, the company office culture is awesome (freebies, casual work environment, dog friendly) and the pay was phenomenal.

I made it through several rounds of interviews ending with the final interview -- in-person with multiple managers. I had thought the in-person interview went really well overall.

Well I open my email today and it's a generic "we've decided to move forward with other candidates" email.

I'm not sure what went wrong. I guess I just wasn't quite what they were looking for, my experience not quite the right fit, I can only speculate. I'm moving forward with other jobs but it's hard not to take it personally. How do you deal with rejection? Do you ever email the recruiter back and ask for feedback? Thanks everyone.
Sometimes it is for silly reasons.

I once went to an interview that a friend who worked @ the co helped me get. It was for a high-end fashion brand.

I'm not rich & can't afford high-end clothes.

They thought the other candidate dressed better & more to their clientele than I did, and they got the job over me. (and this was WITH "knowing someone")

Most of the time rejections are for dumb stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or