U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2019, 07:38 AM

2,419 posts, read 689,094 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
And how do you know who can do the job best if you don’t know them and never worked with them? Exactly.
Because High Altitude is not limited by the dogma of employer infallibility unlike some people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2019, 02:34 PM

1,544 posts, read 2,066,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsell View Post
NEVER get emotionally attached to ANY job interview, or job application.

Apply, move on.

Interview, move on.

Always keep moving. Always apply for more jobs.

Always assume you're not getting the job due to some insanely ridiculous reason. Remember, employers are spoiled at the huge amount talent applying for their jobs, so many times they get several candidates with identical qualifications so they wind up rejecting people for stupid reasons.

Now, if you get the job offer, then you can pause and evaluate the job offer. BUT DO NOT GET EMOTIONALLY ATTACHED. You may not like the job offer, or if you attempt to negotiate, they yank it.

Remember, you're not employed until you're on the job collecting a paycheck.
Bingo. No matter how well the interview went, no matter if this is your 5th interview and you got to meet all your future co-workers, you saw your desk etc... you don't have the job until you have the job.

Old 05-01-2019, 04:35 PM

4,653 posts, read 2,290,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsell View Post
NEVER get emotionally attached to ANY job interview, or job application.
100% spot on, Bob.

Years ago, I applied for a position which I thought was perfect for me. I had a phone conversation with the hiring manager who was very impressed. She said I'd be hearing within the week. I never heard anything so I reached out and she said "I'm sorry but I actually hired a friend for the position. I did not know she was looking for a job when I posted the ad. You would be a great fit for a position like this. Good luck!" Bummed, but oh well.

And then two months later I saw the job re-posted online! I wondered what happened, did the friend quit? Or someone else? Who knows, but I figured I'd re-apply since she seemed to like me and she was already familiar via the phone screen two months prior. Well, about a week afterwards, I got an e-mail saying they already moved forward with candidates with 'more impressive qualifications.' WTH? I was a great fit before, and not now?

I was really upset and wasn't sure what to think. I wonder if the friend story was true? Did she just say that to everyone? I'll never know, but I would have appreciated more than just a generic email the second time around.

That is when I realized to NEVER get emotionally attached to any job, or any company. Ever. You brought back some bad memories with your statement Bob.

Old 05-03-2019, 12:41 PM

2,080 posts, read 1,856,307 times
Been down that road.

Don't ever get emotionally attached.

Apply, apply, apply until you get that offer in writing.

Old 05-03-2019, 08:31 PM

27,306 posts, read 15,772,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deposite View Post
Been down that road.

And yet it may not be. They could lose the funding, find something in your background check, etc. Until you show up for work day 1 and ultimately pass your probationary period, it isn't set. Even year to year it isn't, even with the same bosses. Often it is what have done for me lately and if you are a single issue or what. It is the recency bias.

Anywho, it is really tough to NOT get emotionally attached with some jobs. It can be a dream job with a company you love and are passionate for; it can be a job with an in from a friend, family or co-worker; it can be an interview that went really well and you seemed to connect with the interviewer. I find these are hard ones to accept even if you aren't offered the job and show up day 1. I find it easier when you don't have a connection to it. That said, the worst part is when you interview and then nothing for weeks if not months. If they say we'll be in touch, please keep to your word.

Old 05-07-2019, 12:37 PM

9,519 posts, read 13,442,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
And yet it may not be. They could lose the funding, find something in your background check, etc. Until you show up for work day 1 and ultimately pass your probationary period, it isn't set. Even year to year it isn't, even with the same bosses. Often it is what have done for me lately and if you are a single issue or what. It is the recency bias.

Anywho, it is really tough to NOT get emotionally attached with some jobs. It can be a dream job with a company you love and are passionate for; it can be a job with an in from a friend, family or co-worker; it can be an interview that went really well and you seemed to connect with the interviewer. I find these are hard ones to accept even if you aren't offered the job and show up day 1. I find it easier when you don't have a connection to it. That said, the worst part is when you interview and then nothing for weeks if not months. If they say we'll be in touch, please keep to your word.
This the worst.

What I hate more than a flat-out rejection, is hearing nothing @ all.

Old 05-07-2019, 12:43 PM

299 posts, read 135,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deposite View Post
Been down that road.

I think most people get emotionally attached when they've put in many hours for the interview process. This could be the numerous hours spent with phone interviews, a face to face multiple times, and maybe even a presentation. If I've only invested an hour or so I don't get that upset, but if I've invested possibly 40 hours in addition to taking 3 or 4 days of vacation I get upset when I receive a rejection.

Old 05-13-2019, 11:31 PM

4,977 posts, read 4,518,889 times
Just had the second interview on Thursday (the last day of interviews) and not a word (Monday). They were moving fast to hire someone is the impression I got. I should have heard something by now if I got the job. Dang! Here I go again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or