U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2018, 11:59 AM

298 posts, read 126,266 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, just wanted to hear how you all deal with being turned down for an offer.

I'm honestly a bit bummed today (also happens to be my birthday so that kind of stinks). I was thrilled about getting an interview for a position at a company in my city. I've used the company's services regularly and I love its mission. The position sounded quite interesting, the company office culture is awesome (freebies, casual work environment, dog friendly) and the pay was phenomenal.

I made it through several rounds of interviews ending with the final interview -- in-person with multiple managers. I had thought the in-person interview went really well overall.

Well I open my email today and it's a generic "we've decided to move forward with other candidates" email.

I'm not sure what went wrong. I guess I just wasn't quite what they were looking for, my experience not quite the right fit, I can only speculate. I'm moving forward with other jobs but it's hard not to take it personally. How do you deal with rejection? Do you ever email the recruiter back and ask for feedback? Thanks everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2018, 03:40 PM

3,779 posts, read 2,994,985 times
Happy Birthday! I'm so sorry that you didn't get the job offer. This has happened to me before and I don't have much advice to offer. I have asked on one or two occasions for feedback but typically they decline to offer specifics. If you made it this far, your experience was probably a good fit and it was just the perceived fit with company culture that wasn't a match. The most you can probably do is to reply to thank them for their consideration and let them know you would be interested in being considered for future openings. Typically, when I have ended up not getting a job I really wanted, I have found myself happy about it down the road. Good luck with your search!

Old 10-01-2018, 06:57 PM

298 posts, read 126,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsChick View Post
Happy Birthday! I'm so sorry that you didn't get the job offer. This has happened to me before and I don't have much advice to offer. I have asked on one or two occasions for feedback but typically they decline to offer specifics. If you made it this far, your experience was probably a good fit and it was just the perceived fit with company culture that wasn't a match. The most you can probably do is to reply to thank them for their consideration and let them know you would be interested in being considered for future openings. Typically, when I have ended up not getting a job I really wanted, I have found myself happy about it down the road. Good luck with your search!
Thanks for the nice message, I appreciate it. I replied and thanked them and said exactly that -- I would be interested in future openings. I figure they may have liked me but there may have been someone else they liked just a bit better -- or who had slightly better experience. You never know.

I agree about asking them for a reason why -- it didn't feel right, especially since the news was delivered by the recruiter who was getting the decision secondhand anyway.

Last edited by xxthinkpinkxo; 10-01-2018 at 07:12 PM..

Old 10-01-2018, 07:24 PM

1,854 posts, read 713,275 times
Don't feel bad about this. There may have been a ton of qualified job applicants that applied and were interviewed for this position.

Also remember that you can't really tell how a job is going to turn out to really be by just going through a series of interviews and looking at the benefits no matter how enticing they may be.

Old 10-01-2018, 08:57 PM

17,249 posts, read 10,169,578 times
It stings but you just move on.

In general, when these things happen, best thing is to look ahead and never look back. Do not try to contact them back, either the recruiter or anyone at the company. They will never give you an honest answer, if they even give you an answer.

I got rejected for a job that I applied to few months ago. I was referred to the position and I thought the interview went well enough. I got a generic "the interview panel decided to move on, if there's any openings in future.." response. My referral told me to inquire about other openings there, but I told him no, I'm not wasting my time. I didn't ask him to try and find out why I wasn't chosen or any of that. I just let it go.

Sometimes you just aren't a fit, it could be anything. You simply could have been just a number that a company needs to check the boxes (as I suspect it was for me). You could have turned off any of the interviewers (which I also suspected).

Old 10-02-2018, 11:14 AM

9,778 posts, read 16,962,550 times
I figure it was for the best and that there is good but yet unknown reason I didn't get the job.

Old 10-03-2018, 07:16 AM

10,608 posts, read 13,138,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusinessManIT View Post
Don't feel bad about this. There may have been a ton of qualified job applicants that applied and were interviewed for this position.

Also remember that you can't really tell how a job is going to turn out to really be by just going through a series of interviews and looking at the benefits no matter how enticing they may be.
I agree. Everyone goes through rejection in a job search. I searched for a year, while employed for a job in my area of experience and got rejected from dozens upon dozens of jobs. Out of those, I got 5 actual interviews and got rejected from those too. Even other jobs where I had relevant experience and applied and interviewed for I got rejected from. After attending a job fair of all things (these are usually not effective for most people) I got a job in my field. The old job still has me around too, so I have that now too.

Point here is that hundreds of people apply, and that decisions are not often easy, as several candidates may have been impressive. The margin for this is often thin, and you should never wrack your brain over the dozens of possible reasons why you may have not gotten the job. Sometimes it's "right place, right time" also and clicking with the interview. I knew one guy who had a shaky track record for holding jobs. He went to one interview after being out trashed drunk all night, showed up hungover and got a great job. Life can be strange. Never give up!

Old 10-03-2018, 07:45 AM

1,881 posts, read 801,112 times
It happens to everyone. I doubt you did anything wrong.

Old 10-03-2018, 10:21 AM

2,614 posts, read 2,240,870 times
Sounds like a great place to work, so they will have a ton of applicants.

You got far in the process so you are more qualified than most. That is great news. Be happy about that.

Try to keep in touch with the people you interviewed with, let them know you are interested if another position opens up or if they know of any other openings. Network with them.

Old 10-04-2018, 01:37 PM

1,541 posts, read 399,025 times
If people only knew what goes on in many places during the hiring process. Don't beat yourself up over it, and keep in touch because if you made a great impression on everyone they will think of you again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or