U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-05-2018, 05:46 AM
 
Location: Ypsilanti, MI
2,447 posts, read 3,666,532 times
Reputation: 4819

Advertisements

Our local school district is hiring a new Human Resources Director and my wife is part of the Interview Team. The open position was posted, 16-18 Resumes received, each member of the Interview Team individually reviewed all Resumes and selected their personal Top 6 choices. These 10-12 lists of personal Top 6 candidates were then compiled into a single Top 6 List. Each of the Top 6 was contacted and scheduled for an interview on the same evening.

Last night was the Interview session and two of the Top 6 candidates, who each had acknowledged and accepted their interview time, did not show!

Multiple attempts were made to contact the missing individuals, cell phone, text, home phone, email, etc., all the means of communication provided by the two 'No Show' candidates.


No response from either missing candidate!


Remember, this is for the Human Resources Director. The person who schedules and performs all other interviews and would be highly irked by No Shows they schedule for interviews. Being a Director's position the qualified candidates typically have 20 years of experience. This is not an entry level position.

Unbelievable!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-05-2018, 07:17 AM
 
9,778 posts, read 16,990,740 times
Reputation: 18395
There was an interesting article in USA Today a couple of months ago about ghosting applicants. Barring some significant life event, it is unacceptable at any level.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-05-2018, 07:22 AM
 
Location: USA
3,569 posts, read 855,745 times
Reputation: 4167
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
There was an interesting article in USA Today a couple of months ago about ghosting applicants. Barring some significant life event, it is unacceptable at any level.
I agree.

NO attempts should have been made to contact the no-shows; that's ridiculous.
They should have simply crossed their names off the list.
NEXT!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-05-2018, 07:58 AM
 
17,301 posts, read 10,212,749 times
Reputation: 28831
Quote:
Originally Posted by applej3 View Post
I agree.

NO attempts should have been made to contact the no-shows; that's ridiculous.
They should have simply crossed their names off the list.
NEXT!
Totally agree.

The applicants should have contacted if there was a legitimate reason to skip the interview.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-07-2018, 05:18 PM
 
602 posts, read 453,504 times
Reputation: 668
Is your wife complaining to you about this? Who cares? They could be bots or they could have accepted an offer, they could have decided many things. Take it personally because that is necessary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-07-2018, 06:29 PM
 
Location: Hockey Rulez, Texas
780 posts, read 253,526 times
Reputation: 1230
Yes, it is sad. But look at it another way. They are unreliable, and you dodged a bullet. You may have hired one of these guys...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-08-2018, 10:27 PM
 
4,069 posts, read 5,470,654 times
Reputation: 4920
Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post
Our local school district is hiring a new Human Resources Director and my wife is part of the Interview Team. The open position was posted, 16-18 Resumes received, each member of the Interview Team individually reviewed all Resumes and selected their personal Top 6 choices. These 10-12 lists of personal Top 6 candidates were then compiled into a single Top 6 List. Each of the Top 6 was contacted and scheduled for an interview on the same evening.

Last night was the Interview session and two of the Top 6 candidates, who each had acknowledged and accepted their interview time, did not show!

Multiple attempts were made to contact the missing individuals, cell phone, text, home phone, email, etc., all the means of communication provided by the two 'No Show' candidates.


No response from either missing candidate!


Remember, this is for the Human Resources Director. The person who schedules and performs all other interviews and would be highly irked by No Shows they schedule for interviews. Being a Director's position the qualified candidates typically have 20 years of experience. This is not an entry level position.

Unbelievable!
How far in advance are these interviews scheduled? If you are scheduling it 1-2 weeks from the phone call, the candidate has likely moved on to the offer stage with another employer. Some companies take only 1-2 weeks to decide on a candidate and notify them of a pending offer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-02-2018, 08:45 PM
 
Location: USA
3,569 posts, read 855,745 times
Reputation: 4167
It doesn't matter how far in advance the interview was scheduled.
It doesn't matter what some employers do or how quickly they decide to naje an offer.
There is NO EXCUSE for no show/no call so stop trying to pull one out of the air.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-04-2018, 09:57 AM
 
3,721 posts, read 3,921,257 times
Reputation: 3366
Imagine that. I had an employer do this to me before, but I guess that is acceptable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-04-2018, 12:00 PM
 
Location: Talmadge, San Diego, CA
13,325 posts, read 25,307,295 times
Reputation: 8117
It's better than hiring them, and being a no show on the their first day of work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top