U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2018, 07:37 AM

1,353 posts, read 3,204,239 times

Advertisements

What excuses do you use when you have to leave for an interview? I am currently looking out of town for positions. I have taken 2 days of vacation previously - but we are on a "busy schedule" where no vacations may be scheduled. I have an interview this week - it's 1-1/2 hours away from where i currently live. I need to leave at noon. Last week I had another interview and just told them I had an "appointment". they assumed it was regarding a doctor's appointment I recently had....

suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2018, 09:50 AM

17,318 posts, read 10,218,998 times
Got an interview? 9 excuses to fool your boss

Old 10-10-2018, 06:27 AM

2,075 posts, read 602,953 times
Some of these states must be terrible to work in. I heard about the medical note requirement and think it's ludicrous. In NY State sick leave is guaranteed for employees of companies larger than a certain size and it's no questions allowed. To my knowledge this also includes you can take a sick day if your child is sick. I mean that's a waste of time going to Urgent care for a bad cold for an adult just to get documentation. They will write a note saying you have a cold and tell you to buy Tylenol. At best $20 in wasted co-pay and making you sicker dragging yourself down to the Dr Office for something that will resolve itself in a few days. Seems counterproductive.

How about paying employees well and treating them good and letting them see what's out there and having an open door policy. The reason I haven't left is because right now I have the best offer on the market given my situation. It is up to the employer to retain good talent by keeping working conditions favorable and pay at the current market rate based on supply and demand.

OP if you feel like you are being watched then it's time to leave. My only caution would be to really make sure the grass is greener on the other side. Take time to do due diligence and ask them about work culture, flexible work etc. I made sure to clarify that with my now current employer in the interview process.

Old 10-10-2018, 07:53 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
29,829 posts, read 54,503,450 times
I'd hate to work at a place that's so strict about leave. When one of my staff wants an hour, afternoon or day off I don't ask (or care) the reason. They have earned PTO and sick leave, and it's there to be used. Busy or not I never forbid vacations, as long as no more than 2-3 are gone at the same time. I hope the OP gets away for the interview and then gets a job where the management is not so rigid about time off.

Old 10-12-2018, 08:25 AM

12,185 posts, read 10,373,719 times
The best advice I can give is try to get on a schedule as early as possible. I work 6-2:30 so I always have time to schedule things after work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or