U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2018, 08:45 AM

23,579 posts, read 17,561,360 times

Advertisements

A bit of a dilemma here.

I've been casually looking around for a few months now. I have a target list of cities I want to move to, and have basically been focusing on those locations.

I live in a small metro of about 200,000 that is about an hour and a half from the nearest decent sized metro with jobs. All of my other destinations are three to five hours away. There's no way for me to get to any of these places without burning at least one day of PTO. I don't want to take the PTO unless I feel fairly confident that it's a good fit and I have a good chance. I'm not going to burn a day's PTO for a job that pays less than what I make now.

Most of these firms are wanting a quick phone screen, then a snap onsite interview a few days later. I had a phone screen Monday that I thought went poorly. They wouldn't give a salary range or overview of the benefits. The interviewer seemed confused - the job was pitched to me as a contract through a staffing agency, but the interviewer said it was a direct hire with the company. It seems like a fly-by-night operation.

The company wants me to come onsite Tuesday. It's 150 miles one way, and I can't get off that soon. I can flex lunch to two hours for a Skype interview. Most places don't want a Skype interview. Not only can I not take off, but I wouldn't drive that far at my expense without a good picture of job. And I don't have that.

Do other employed candidates face frustrating barriers like this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2018, 11:57 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
29,789 posts, read 54,440,540 times
If you are unable or unwilling to drop everything and travel for an interview, it just limits your opportunities. Your current situation wouldn't bother me because it's just a 2 hour drive (?) and I have plenty of PTO available. The biggest problem is not knowing whether it's worth the effort and that means knowing the pay range. Based on what you mentioned from your brief phone screen I would pass on this one. It's not always possible, but in many cases you can do some research and find more about an employer and their pay. Here, being a public agency in WA state, a local newspaper does an annual public disclosure request and list the salaries for all 2,000 employees on their website. If a company does not reveal their name, or has no internet presence, it raises a red flag.

Old 10-12-2018, 12:35 PM

9,778 posts, read 16,979,525 times
If you don't want to burn PTO, don't apply to as many places/positions that will require you to burn PTO. You can't have it both ways. Perhaps be more selective in how many apps you send out. Based on the phone interview, I would pass on this recent interview offer.

Old 10-12-2018, 12:58 PM

23,579 posts, read 17,561,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
If you are unable or unwilling to drop everything and travel for an interview, it just limits your opportunities. Your current situation wouldn't bother me because it's just a 2 hour drive (?) and I have plenty of PTO available. The biggest problem is not knowing whether it's worth the effort and that means knowing the pay range. Based on what you mentioned from your brief phone screen I would pass on this one. It's not always possible, but in many cases you can do some research and find more about an employer and their pay. Here, being a public agency in WA state, a local newspaper does an annual public disclosure request and list the salaries for all 2,000 employees on their website. If a company does not reveal their name, or has no internet presence, it raises a red flag.
I had an interview with a state agency a few months ago. The salary range was listed. They were willing to do a Skype video interview. Living where I am, hours away from any job center, is just a huge hassle now.

Old 10-12-2018, 01:17 PM

7,119 posts, read 2,921,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I had an interview with a state agency a few months ago. The salary range was listed. They were willing to do a Skype video interview. Living where I am, hours away from any job center, is just a huge hassle now.
Then I guess you will simply need to be satisfied with the job you have. Things could always be a lot worse.

Old 10-12-2018, 01:35 PM

2,067 posts, read 598,252 times
Yes, I regularly get NJ jobs and reject them immediately without a thought. MTA and throughways, highways etc. are all terrible. 10 years ago it took 30 minutes to get where I am into Downtown Manhattan. Now it takes 1 hour. It takes 2 hours to get to anywhere significant in NJ. I am not commuting 2 hours as my job can be done entirely remote (which I do with my current employer).

Supposedly this job market is tight. If they find someone that quickly then they will just take anybody. Is that a company you want to work for? I understand them having to move on if you say "No" but it can't all be on their terms. They can't even tell you what the job is properly. You are already getting conflicting information and presumably no apologies either. This is what working for them will be like. Decline to proceed further.

I actually have a lot of flexibility right now when it comes to interviewing. But you should always test them just as much as they test you. If NJ employers think they can get NY talent to come to them - They're not just crazy they are LOCO. Same applies in your situation. Get the pay and full details on the JD and general working hours or flexibility. If it's not to your liking and you're not in a terrible situation presently, pass on them.

Old 10-12-2018, 09:01 PM

15,024 posts, read 21,739,781 times
You have to be picky about where you interview. I just had to take two days PTO to interview for a job. If you’re unsure, don’t interview with the company.

Old 10-12-2018, 10:18 PM

4,069 posts, read 5,467,673 times
Call in sick, when it's short notice. My manager rarely took sick days. Out of the blue, he seemed depressed and kept calling in sick every week for a day or two. He was gone within 2 months for a new job.

It's been a bit of a joke for the past 20 years at every one of my previous employers. When a employee calls in sick frequently over 2-3 weeks, everybody assumes he is looking for the work. Their new job announcement is no surprise at all.

Old 10-12-2018, 11:08 PM

1,550 posts, read 401,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
A bit of a dilemma here.

I've been casually looking around for a few months now. I have a target list of cities I want to move to, and have basically been focusing on those locations.

I live in a small metro of about 200,000 that is about an hour and a half from the nearest decent sized metro with jobs. All of my other destinations are three to five hours away. There's no way for me to get to any of these places without burning at least one day of PTO. I don't want to take the PTO unless I feel fairly confident that it's a good fit and I have a good chance. I'm not going to burn a day's PTO for a job that pays less than what I make now.

Most of these firms are wanting a quick phone screen, then a snap onsite interview a few days later. I had a phone screen Monday that I thought went poorly. They wouldn't give a salary range or overview of the benefits. The interviewer seemed confused - the job was pitched to me as a contract through a staffing agency, but the interviewer said it was a direct hire with the company. It seems like a fly-by-night operation.

The company wants me to come onsite Tuesday. It's 150 miles one way, and I can't get off that soon. I can flex lunch to two hours for a Skype interview. Most places don't want a Skype interview. Not only can I not take off, but I wouldn't drive that far at my expense without a good picture of job. And I don't have that.

Do other employed candidates face frustrating barriers like this?
OK, let's slow this down.

Don't go any further with a job unless there is a written job description and they can tell you the salary range and entire compensation benefits and any other questions you have. No reason they can't answer these questions on the phone and/or through e-mail. I've done both. Any real place to work with a real job is going to be able to do these things. I got contacts by HR departments for several companies recently through e-mail and I was able to answered the salary range, bonus and other information even before I scheduled a phone interview with HR. Because to me, there is no point in going forward if you don't have these things. I also had a complete job description e-mail to me at first contact from HR.

Seriously, anyone who tells you to go on an interview without that information is just being stupid, because it puts you in the worst possible negotiation situation. Because from their prospective the more time they waste of yours preparing for the job and answering their questions without giving you important information is done on purpose to weaken your position. They know from experience the more they make you travel, like 150 miles, etc., that when they finally throw you a bone they know you are much more likely to take it.

Now they are people who are going to post telling you the opposite of this and how it worked out great for them, because they simply don't have any idea how they were taken advantage of. They bought the sales pitch by HR and the hiring manager who claimed, "I don't know the salary, we won't know that until the team meets" is a huge pile of baloney. The second they talk about creating a new position they talk about what it is going to cost and if they have budget for it and what is the market rate. By them not telling you the numbers is on purpose so you shouldn't fall for it.

If they answer all your questions through phone and e-mail, and I mean every single one of them, and you like the job description and you have really checked out the company and they look good, then you can consider the situation more seriously. But to just jump in the car because someone in HR is interesting in filling up their calendar to look busy for their boss, don't do this.

Old 10-13-2018, 03:03 PM

17,274 posts, read 10,194,544 times
Agree with rummage.

And I don't get these employers and hiring managers that want a potential candidate to expect to drop everything at moments notice and interview NOW. That to me is always a red flag.

Reputable employers will always have some consideration for potential applicants. Anytime someone reached out to me for an interview, they always asked me what day would work within the coming few weeks. They were willing to work with me to find a convenient time. Any employer that isn't willing to do that, it's not about the applicant, it's about them and meeting their interview quotas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search