U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2018, 07:53 PM

2,825 posts, read 4,930,687 times

Advertisements

I currently work in Financial Services as an Executive Assistant. I held several EA roles with different managers during my 13 year span with the company. My current job situation is not the most ideal at this very moment, which prompted the search. I've applied for 18 internal roles within the company, and I have been turned down for everyone of them. Not sure what's going on, as I have great performance evaluations. To get myself out of my current situation, I've started applying for jobs that can help me make by bills until I land the job that going to help with my career goals. But it seems, Im even getting turned down for Customer Service jobs as well outside of the company. Ive even asked for feedback and it varies...Ive heard not enough experience, or they with they knew of or had knowledge of their work. Either way...very frustrated....Looking for advice, as Im feeling very beat up right about now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2018, 02:11 AM

11,129 posts, read 8,540,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastbabe View Post
I currently work in Financial Services as an Executive Assistant. I held several EA roles with different managers during my 13 year span with the company. My current job situation is not the most ideal at this very moment, which prompted the search. I've applied for 18 internal roles within the company, and I have been turned down for everyone of them. Not sure what's going on, as I have great performance evaluations. To get myself out of my current situation, I've started applying for jobs that can help me make by bills until I land the job that going to help with my career goals. But it seems, Im even getting turned down for Customer Service jobs as well outside of the company. Ive even asked for feedback and it varies...Ive heard not enough experience, or they with they knew of or had knowledge of their work. Either way...very frustrated....Looking for advice, as Im feeling very beat up right about now.
1. Get a mentor in the company.
2. Start doing informational interviews with managers in the departments you want to go to. Ask them what skills and experience someone would need to get a job as a xyz.
3. Once you get more information, ask your manager if you can expand your duties to include some of the desired experiences.
4. Get any additional education or certifications in your desired area.

By the way, I once did an internal job search and I applied for over 100 jobs over a two year period before I landed a different internal job. Keep the faith.

Old 10-13-2018, 03:17 AM

5,684 posts, read 5,934,902 times
Quote:
I understand your frustration but do not create more problems for yourself because of emotion. If you cant find a job now, how marketable will you be with an entry level position unless it is in the field you desire?

Why dont you go to HR and request to use your vacation time to shadow people in the area you are seeking. Perhaps you can create your own cross training program. Are tbeir certificate programs that will help?

What do mean by the name of your thread? Did your boss leave or request another EA? EAs are very important to their bosses.

Old 10-13-2018, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
1. Get a mentor in the company.
2. Start doing informational interviews with managers in the departments you want to go to. Ask them what skills and experience someone would need to get a job as a xyz.
3. Once you get more information, ask your manager if you can expand your duties to include some of the desired experiences.
4. Get any additional education or certifications in your desired area.

By the way, I once did an internal job search and I applied for over 100 jobs over a two year period before I landed a different internal job. Keep the faith.

Thanks....Very tough right now. Worked for the current mgr. for 4 1/2 years, all of a sudden I cannot do anything right anymore for the manager. All of the madness started when I shared that I was ready to move on to a different role within the company for career growth. And for all those that said I should have not shared with the mgr., the mgr. would have found out anyway from the recruiter. Just very toxic right now between the mgr. and I . All of my performance evaluations have been excellent, and now the manager is bringing up how I'm not meeting her performance expectations.

Old 10-13-2018, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post
I understand your frustration but do not create more problems for yourself because of emotion. If you cant find a job now, how marketable will you be with an entry level position unless it is in the field you desire?

Why dont you go to HR and request to use your vacation time to shadow people in the area you are seeking. Perhaps you can create your own cross training program. Are tbeir certificate programs that will help?

What do mean by the name of your thread? Did your boss leave or request another EA? EAs are very important to their bosses.

You are right...trying not get emotional and take it personal.

Old 10-13-2018, 01:43 PM

5,684 posts, read 5,934,902 times
It is okay to be emotional and you should take it personal. Now you know the truth. She has most likely blocked you. Folks are truly terrible. She is trying to push you out of the company. I am sorry. It is not easy out there especially as you age.

Make sure your resume reflects experience not your age. The hiring managers get younger and younger. The struggle is real.

Old 10-13-2018, 03:15 PM

602 posts, read 453,197 times
Broaden your search scope. Look for EA jobs all over the USA, not just where you are.

Old 10-14-2018, 03:17 AM

11,129 posts, read 8,540,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 505HPC6Z06 View Post
Broaden your search scope. Look for EA jobs all over the USA, not just where you are.
I think the OP wants to move out of EA work. It's usually easier to make that transition internally. Of course, depending on the OPs timeline, she may have to begin to look externally.

Old 10-14-2018, 12:28 PM

602 posts, read 453,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
I think the OP wants to move out of EA work. It's usually easier to make that transition internally. Of course, depending on the OPs timeline, she may have to begin to look externally.

I think the OP asked for advice and you are not hearing about her dire situation.

Old 10-15-2018, 11:28 AM

28,497 posts, read 62,167,040 times
Quote:
I've applied for 18 internal roles within the company, and I have been turned down for everyone of them.
Not sure what's going on, as I have great performance evaluations.
Your immediate supervisor doesn't want to lose you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search