U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2018, 01:06 PM

1,817 posts, read 318,219 times

Advertisements

Ever have a super bad interview? I had two phone interviews last week for a position I've been in the interviewing process for over five weeks and it had been going well. Well, the phone interview with one of the offsite managers was so horrible, it was almost unbelievable.

Basically this manager was totally dead set against me and said a number of condescending, insulting things, lies, even ageist remarks like asking if I could handle technology and excel. Gee, no, I still use an abacus, sorry. This person also asked questions about travel and I could tell she was trying to figure out if I had children or not to determine how much she could bully and harass me into overwork and overtime.

They insulted and questioned me on my prior work experience, my education, my goal of obtaining work related licenses and technological skills and treated me as though I was a total loser. Any thing I said, she'd argue with me and made it sound like I wasn't fit for this job.

This manager even told lies trying to get me to not want the position. They claimed duties that I knew I wouldn't have to do, at least not at the level I would be coming in at.

Well, guess what? It worked! I am no longer interested in this job. I do NOT want to work with that workaholic, bitter, angry, lying weirdo. I saw her picture on LinkedIn and she looks insane as well.

It's too bad because I had applied as a contractor, met some people from the local office which is less than 10 minutes from my house, and they seemed like normal people. They liked me and one of those managers asked if I'd consider a full-time position instead of being a seasonal contractor.

Due to the change in position type, I had to go through more rounds of interviews, which is why I had these additional phone interviews with these nut jobs. I have a suspicion they are H1b visa employees, overworked so much that they're now totally out of their minds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2018, 04:20 PM

5,685 posts, read 5,943,783 times
Yes. Thank God you found out before. Move on.

Old 10-14-2018, 09:21 PM

1,870 posts, read 722,038 times
The employer must also understand that they are under the microscope as well. The potential employee is judging and deciding on how to proceed.

Old 10-15-2018, 03:41 PM

1,565 posts, read 405,831 times
Sorry you had a bad experience. Do the world a favor and document this on Glassdoor to warn other job seekers to steer clear of this horrible place.

Old 10-15-2018, 04:03 PM

1,226 posts, read 525,632 times
Be thankful they didn't put on a fake show to lure you in

Old 10-15-2018, 05:12 PM

2,078 posts, read 605,530 times
Agree with all the above points. When I was younger and first starting out. But I am mostly able to sniff these types out before the in-person interview. Glassdoor is also a huge time saver.

Old 10-15-2018, 08:35 PM

It was a bait and switch and complete time waster. I turned down other jobs waiting for this one.

Old 10-15-2018, 10:30 PM

2,614 posts, read 2,247,409 times
One thing I was pretty shocked about when I started to interview after my long layoff and getting my second degree, compared to when I was interviewing after my first degree, was just how rude and snobby the interviewers where. They would literally talk down to you. I never ran in to that before. It was actually pretty shocking to me. I was also pretty shocked at just how blatant hiring managers where when it came to ageism. Many didn't even try to hide it.

Taffee72, I hear stories like yours all the time now.

I am not exactly sure what happened, but hiring managers bring you in to fail today, instead of concentrating on why you would be a good hire.

Old 10-16-2018, 03:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Altitude View Post
One thing I was pretty shocked about when I started to interview after my long layoff and getting my second degree, compared to when I was interviewing after my first degree, was just how rude and snobby the interviewers where. They would literally talk down to you. I never ran in to that before. It was actually pretty shocking to me. I was also pretty shocked at just how blatant hiring managers where when it came to ageism. Many didn't even try to hide it.

Taffee72, I hear stories like yours all the time now.

I am not exactly sure what happened, but hiring managers bring you in to fail today, instead of concentrating on why you would be a good hire.
I've never experienced such rude interviewing encounters before. Normally interviewers are just polite and ask questions/listen and it's a professional exchange.

I haven't ever had someone shouting me down, arguing my answers and debating everything I say before.

It was really bizarre.

Old 10-16-2018, 03:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
Agree with all the above points. When I was younger and first starting out. But I am mostly able to sniff these types out before the in-person interview. Glassdoor is also a huge time saver.
I had expected and anticipated people from this company to be smugly pretentious and judgmental, but not outright insulting. That is what really shocked me.

And the local guys I met with were not like this at all. But I live in a blue collar town with an underdog mentality, so people here tend to be more down-to-earth.

This is a big international company, so you can really only go by the Glassdoor reviews pertaining to a particular office, not the company as a whole, and this local one doesn't have any reviews. I didn't know about also having to deal with this other bigger office until I had my phone interviews.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or