U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2018, 08:19 AM

9,039 posts, read 8,455,286 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerwrecker2018 View Post
To respond to the 2 previous replies to this thread.

1. - Any employer who decides to not offer you a job without notifying you is in my opinion complete ignorance especially after they conduct an interview.
2. - Being notified that they are not considering you for anything is better than being completely ignorant and not notifying you at all.
3. - Sending 2 different E-Mails telling you that they are not considering you is too redundant they only need to send 1 E-Mail to inform you of any such decision.
Sorry, I try not to be a grammar cop on forums, but this item struck me as particularly funny. Using redundant wording while complaining about redundancy is difficult to pass on.

Back to the thread, no, I don’t think that I have ever gotten contrary rejection messages like that, but I don’t really track or take particular note of them either. I do remember one particularly tortured series of rejections though.

I once got ignored for several months, then received a physical letter notifying me that they weren’t going to interview me, a few days later I got an email notification that my application status had been changed from “received” to “under review”. I was then rejected by email, then they called me for an interview. A few days before the interview, they called me and told me that the job had been suspended temporarily, but they would be in touch to reschedule. About 6 months later I was talking to an industry colleague who told me that she had just been hired for that position. She is still working there 15 years later and loves it.

Life is messy that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2018, 03:00 PM

36 posts, read 10,719 times
I think the first email was sent in error. They used the wrong template, realized the mistake, and then sent you the standard rejection email.

Don't give up the search. Hopefully you'll find something even better than this one.

Good luck.

Old 10-18-2018, 03:07 PM

3,825 posts, read 1,397,950 times
Quote:
I had managed to get these 2 E-Mail messages today and both of them we're received 2 minutes apart both of them were regarding the same Job Application that I had filled out with them for the same position.

Here's what the first E-Mail had said.

We want to thank you for taking the time to apply with us for the position of Customer Service Advocate - Pittsburgh, PA, 784589 at UnitedHealth Group.

Unfortunately, the opening for this specific position is no longer available at this time. If you have expressed interest for other positions, we will continue to review your qualifications and will keep you informed about your status on those positions.

We value you as a potential contributing member of our accomplished team and encourage you to apply for other positions that match your talents and interests. We will inform you of jobs matching your criteria if you selected this option during your application process.

If you have questions regarding positions of interest or would like to know more about the process, please join us during one of our regularly scheduled recruiter chat sessions. For more info regarding these, please click here. Additionally, please feel free to check in our candidate portal to check on your status for any other positions you may have applied to. You can view a list of all positions you have applied to from your profile by clicking into the tab "My Jobpage" and sub tab "My Submissions". To view your status on a completed application, refer to the Submission Status for more information.

We hope that you will continue to consider our company when you are searching for new opportunities. At UnitedHealth Group, we are constantly seeking to reinforce our team to make healthcare work better than ever and hope you will explore other positions and continue to consider UnitedHealth Group as a prospective employer.

Again, we appreciate the time and effort you have taken to apply with UnitedHealth Group. We hope to see your name among the candidates for other positions in the future. It’s the first step in finding an opportunity that could very well lead to your life’s best work.SM

Best regards,
Talent Acquisition

And you think that's bad check out the E-Mail message that came in 2 minutes later.

Thank you for taking the time to apply with us for the position of Customer Service Advocate - Pittsburgh, PA, 784589. We truly appreciate your interest in this position and in UnitedHealth Group as a prospective employer.

Unfortunately, we will not be able to consider you for this position at this time. To be considered for this position, applicants need to meet the qualifications listed in this posting. Although your skills and qualifications are impressive, we have identified other candidates whose experience more closely fit the specifications of the position.

To view additional opportunities with us, please visit our Careers website at careers.unitedhealthgroup.com. If you have expressed interest in other positions, we will be glad to review your qualifications and will keep you informed about your status as we evaluate candidates. Please feel free to log in to our candidate portal to check on your status for any other positions to which you may have applied. You can view a list of all positions applied to from your profile by clicking into the tab "My Jobpage" and sub tab "My Submissions". To view your status on a completed application, refer to the Submission Status for more information.

Again, we appreciate the time and effort you have taken to apply with UnitedHealth Group. We hope to see your name among the candidates for other positions in the future. It’s the first step in finding an opportunity that could very well lead to your life’s best work.SM

Best regards,
Talent Acquisition

These E-Mail messages in my opinion do cause some confusion as which one should be taken seriously what is your opinion.

It's a response by their computer system which usually fake job opening.

Old 10-18-2018, 03:09 PM

7,254 posts, read 2,991,828 times
Sorry, I try not to be a grammar cop on forums, but this item struck me as particularly funny. Using redundant wording while complaining about redundancy is difficult to pass on.

It WAS just too tempting to pass up!

Life is messy that way.

We have to remind ourselves that life is never a perfectly wrapped little package. People as well as the systems they create mess up occasionally. Yes, the first response was over the top and the second not necessary. At least they attempted to acknowledge the application. On the scale of calamities this one's pretty close to the bottom.

Old 10-18-2018, 03:10 PM

8,772 posts, read 10,876,703 times
You need to understand that the purpose of a resume is only to get you past HR to the interview stage. If you did not get past that stage, for whatever reason, you will only get a perfunctory (or form letter) response.

Instead of taking it personally, figure-out how to spruce-up your 'water walking capabilities' in your resume - so you get to the actual interview stage next time.

Most often, the problem is that people do not thoroughly read and respond to the specific requirements of the job description in their 'one-size-fits-all, form letter' resume and cover letter.

Old 10-23-2018, 11:52 AM

15 posts, read 5,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
You need to understand that the purpose of a resume is only to get you past HR to the interview stage. If you did not get past that stage, for whatever reason, you will only get a perfunctory (or form letter) response.

Instead of taking it personally, figure-out how to spruce-up your 'water walking capabilities' in your resume - so you get to the actual interview stage next time.

Most often, the problem is that people do not thoroughly read and respond to the specific requirements of the job description in their 'one-size-fits-all, form letter' resume and cover letter.

One of the problems is that I can't afford to even so much as sprucing up anything in my resume including the 'water walking capabilities'

Also what was you meaning about the phrase water walking capabilities

Old 10-23-2018, 09:02 PM

7,254 posts, read 2,991,828 times
Quote:
The overblown verbiage in a resume that tries to convince a potential employer that you can handle anything they throw at you no matter what. That you are not a mere human....that you can walk on water...like Jesus supposedly did.

Old 10-25-2018, 05:24 AM

1,094 posts, read 632,309 times
It's tough enough to be rejected, but being rejected twice is a little overkill.

I feel what OP's saying - it's likely that neither explanation is true and there was possibly another reason in the background, hence the heartless stock message responses. But still it leaves you with only one option, continue looking.

Also, you could try the "chat sessions" they mention, maybe they will offer a better answer; they might be offering other positions not listed, etc. could be worth a shot - if you're unemployed you don't have much of a reason not to

Old 10-26-2018, 10:53 AM

8,772 posts, read 10,876,703 times
Quote:
One of the problems is that I can't afford to even so much as sprucing up anything in my resume including the 'water walking capabilities'

If your resumes are often getting rejected with form letters, you can't afford NOT to update it to ensure you present yourself with good grammar, spelling and some focused skills, education and experience. (I've helped others with this. If you want to send me your resume via personal message, I'll give you some specific feedback for free).

'Water walking' is simply a term used to describe the 'over-selling' many try to do in their resumes. Frankly, there are so many 'over-the-top' resumes floating around, it's probably better to work the job market through personal contacts.

Old 11-01-2018, 03:36 AM

668 posts, read 226,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Altitude View Post
The worst is when you spend all the time it takes to fill out the online application, send it, and within seconds you get a rejection email.

That is a nice punch in the gut for you.
Wow!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or