U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2018, 05:50 PM

1,580 posts, read 824,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taffee72 View Post
Not sure if this would work for you but I don't put months on my resume, just the years. Sometimes I went immediately from one job to another and other times I didn't.

For example like this:

Big Sized Horrible Accounting Firm Staff Accountant 2013-2014
Medium Sized Horrible Accounting Firm Senior Accountant 2014-2016
Small Sized Horrible Accounting Firm Senior Accountant 2016-2017
Strange Horrible Family Office Tax Accountant 2017-2018
I like this a lot, but when I am completing online applications (which is pretty much all of them), 99% of the time they require the month fields be completed in order to move on to next page. But this works for my resume....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2018, 06:28 PM

8,942 posts, read 8,403,847 times
Quote:
Not sure if this would work for you but I don't put months on my resume, just the years. Sometimes I went immediately from one job to another and other times I didn't.

For example like this:

I view this as a red flag when applicants do this. It doesnít disqualify, but it does guarantee that I will ask for specific months in a phone interview and verify the dates prior to extending an in-person interview.

Old 10-19-2018, 05:05 AM

1,810 posts, read 314,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
I view this as a red flag when applicants do this. It doesnít disqualify, but it does guarantee that I will ask for specific months in a phone interview and verify the dates prior to extending an in-person interview.
Fortunately it's worked for me without the months on my resume, although I do fill it in on online apps.

I also don't put the graduation dates or years attended for my bachelor's, master's or accounting certificate on my resume, just my GPAs. If someone's dying to calculate how old I am, they can just google me.

Old 10-19-2018, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Fortunately it's worked for me without the months on my resume, although I do fill it in on online apps.

I also don't put the graduation dates or years attended for my bachelor's, master's or accounting certificate on my resume, just my GPAs. If someone's dying to calculate how old I am, they can just google me.
Most job hunting strategies are going to be hit and miss. This one worked for you, perhaps because the info is included in the online app, which is the document that I look at more than a resume in any case.

For the record, I don't really care about gaps myself, I do care if somebody leaves something important off of their employment history. If I see a two year gap, and I find out that they had a job during that time, I really, really want to know why it wasn't on the resume or application.

I also don't care about people's age. I have hired people in their 60s several times before. Some have only stayed a year or two, others that I thought would stay a year or two are still with me 5 years later and going strong.

Old 10-19-2018, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Most job hunting strategies are going to be hit and miss. This one worked for you, perhaps because the info is included in the online app, which is the document that I look at more than a resume in any case.

For the record, I don't really care about gaps myself, I do care if somebody leaves something important off of their employment history. If I see a two year gap, and I find out that they had a job during that time, I really, really want to know why it wasn't on the resume or application.

I also don't care about people's age. I have hired people in their 60s several times before. Some have only stayed a year or two, others that I thought would stay a year or two are still with me 5 years later and going strong.
How did you learn about their job that was not on their application or resume? Would this show up during a Level II background check? What if they were temp jobs - would that be bad?

Old 10-19-2018, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeko156 View Post
How did you learn about their job that was not on their application or resume? Would this show up during a Level II background check? What if they were temp jobs - would that be bad?
During a reference check I will ask references where they hired somebody from. A question similar to: I see Eeko worked for you from X to Y, are those dates correct? Where were they before you hired them, and do you think that they brought valuable industry knowledge with them? I assume that they were discreet about any trade secrets. I would not ask them to reveal any proprietary info about your company, in the same way that I am sure they didnít reveal anything about... what was the name of their previous employer again?

I donít care if people worked at a temp position. That isnít a disqualifying item, and I am ok if they had a rocky period where they bumped around from company to company for a bit while trying to work things out.

I care deeply if I ask them for a complete history, and they omit a company where they were fired for cause. Not so much because of the firing, but more because they are dishonest and willing to lie to me from the start.

Old 10-19-2018, 12:46 PM

2,419 posts, read 690,595 times
Quote:

For example like this:

This is a good idea, but you WILL be asked for months. Then the gap shows up and they'll question you.

Old 10-19-2018, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsell View Post
This is a good idea, but you WILL be asked for months. Then the gap shows up and they'll question you.
I wonder if these gaps that people are worried about are bigger issues in certain industries more than others? I was in education before and now accounting. I've never had an issue concerning gaps at all.

On my resume, I don't list my former teaching positions, nor on the online apps, and occasionally if I'm questioned about my previous to accounting experience, I just say something like, "I am a career changer and taught special education before. It's not relevant to accounting, so I don't reference it on my resume." Everyone has always accepted that explanation.

Wanted to add, I have a horrible history of job hopping so I am questioned about that extensively.

Old 10-19-2018, 08:44 PM

Quote:
I wonder if these gaps that people are worried about are bigger issues in certain industries more than others? I was in education before and now accounting. I've never had an issue concerning gaps at all.

On my resume, I don't list my former teaching positions, nor on the online apps, and occasionally if I'm questioned about my previous to accounting experience, I just say something like, "I am a career changer and taught special education before. It's not relevant to accounting, so I don't reference it on my resume." Everyone has always accepted that explanation.

Wanted to add, I have a horrible history of job hopping so I am questioned about that extensively.
Not sure if industry matters. I am in accounting, too (low level), but searching for a better job or even a different line of work. But at my age and with a major gap, it is seeming unlikely.

Old 10-20-2018, 04:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeko156 View Post
Not sure if industry matters. I am in accounting, too (low level), but searching for a better job or even a different line of work. But at my age and with a major gap, it is seeming unlikely.
Have you looked at small cpa firms? Small firms often aren't as obsessed with millennials, "fun events", utilization, and up-and-out practices like the bigger firms. In my experience, they just need people to step in and do the work, so they don't particularly care about gaps and job hopping that much.

The position I just accepted is basically cleaning up the books, preparing monthly financials and tax preparation for a particular subset of healthcare professionals.

A lot of people on the website's picture look older, there's no billable hours expectation (all fixed fee), you get a client caseload you're in charge of, so no having to deal with begging and brown nosing for billable work, and you can remain in the same role indefinitely if you prefer that and have no interest in trying to become a partner.

Maybe there is something like this in your area?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or