U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2018, 07:05 AM

2,078 posts, read 605,530 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I don't know, that's a long time even for a parent, child or spouse considering that others manage with a week or two. I would say "family matters" which is still true, but more general and leaves room for many different possibilities and a potential employer should not need further detail.
There is no set appropriate time for bereavement. I had a guy I worked with from another group his Father passed away this year. He only took a month off. He probably would have taken more if his business unit wasn't stretched to the max. Now sometimes getting busy and back to work helps. But if your parents affairs and paperwork aren't in order it could take 3 months. His Father was terminally ill for about a year. Now if it's a sudden death and they are healthy, emotionally it will take longer to get over in it.

I can't stand this country where you are expected to put on a fake smile, not show emotion or weakness even when loved ones die and watch for those vigilantly who shake your hand and the other hand is behind their back holding a knife. But I have to endure it until I build enough capital/resources and contacts abroad to permanently expatriate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2018, 10:14 AM

708 posts, read 779,126 times
“I was off due to family matters that have since been resolved...”

This is exactly the words I used if the question of my gap came up. I could further add that I remained in school full-time during that time, but since you cannot, I would state the above and leave it at that.

OP, I’ve been where you are. I was unemployed for an entire year. There is a long story around it, but very similar to yours. Don’t give more information than you need to.

The company that eventually hired me didn’t even ask about my gap. They were concerned with my experience and what I knew. No, I did not take low pay either.

Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or