U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2018, 09:45 AM

1,624 posts, read 836,263 times

Advertisements

I am updating my resume and have a lengthy gap of several months. I was having some mental health issues at the time, brought on by the death of a loved one (not making excuses, just explaining the circumstances - non-drug related). I can't say I had health issues, for numerous reasons.

How do I address this on paper? I did not volunteer and I was not in school (although, I did take some on-line classes when I started to get better). I have no children, can't say I was raising kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2018, 09:52 AM

538 posts, read 313,550 times
You can't tell the truth? I don't see why not, it's better than telling a lie.

Good luck, Rg

Old 10-18-2018, 09:56 AM

8,769 posts, read 10,867,395 times
Several months is not really a problem, compared with 'several years.' Don't lie, but, also don't obsess over things you cannot control.

Nobody "hires" a resume (the resume is only to get you an interview). Simply use dates on your resume (2012 - 2015). When/if the 'gap' subject comes up, tell them you had some personal health issues in your family, that have now been corrected -

- If you feel like you must say more, tell them you chose to take some online courses while you were off - and point-out how that education helped make you a better job candidate.

Old 10-18-2018, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
Several months is not really a problem, compared with 'several years.' Don't lie, but, also don't obsess over things you cannot control.

Nobody "hires" a resume (the resume is only to get you an interview). Simply use dates on your resume (2012 - 2015). When/if the 'gap' subject comes up, tell them you had some personal health issues in your family, that have now been corrected -

- If you feel like you must say more, tell them you chose to take some online courses while you were off - and point-out how that education helped make you a better job candidate.
This sounds good.

Old 10-18-2018, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raggedjim View Post
You can't tell the truth? I don't see why not, it's better than telling a lie.

Good luck, Rg
It's just that an employer might be concerned about health care costs, and secondly, they might think I am a "sickie" who will call out all the time if I tell them I had prior "health" issues.

Old 10-18-2018, 11:13 AM

28,555 posts, read 62,318,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeko156 View Post
...gap of several months ...brought on by the death of
The term is bereavement.
Deep details aren't required.

Old 10-18-2018, 01:53 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
29,885 posts, read 54,596,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
The term is bereavement.
Deep details aren't required.
I don't know, that's a long time even for a parent, child or spouse considering that others manage with a week or two. I would say "family matters" which is still true, but more general and leaves room for many different possibilities and a potential employer should not need further detail.

Old 10-18-2018, 03:02 PM

1,831 posts, read 320,586 times
Not sure if this would work for you but I don't put months on my resume, just the years. Sometimes I went immediately from one job to another and other times I didn't.

For example like this:

Big Sized Horrible Accounting Firm Staff Accountant 2013-2014
Medium Sized Horrible Accounting Firm Senior Accountant 2014-2016
Small Sized Horrible Accounting Firm Senior Accountant 2016-2017
Strange Horrible Family Office Tax Accountant 2017-2018

Old 10-18-2018, 03:19 PM

7,214 posts, read 2,975,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I don't know, that's a long time even for a parent, child or spouse considering that others manage with a week or two. I would say "family matters" which is still true, but more general and leaves room for many different possibilities and a potential employer should not need further detail.
This is probably what I'd choose. It could mean anything from your personal issue to to settling an estate, to needing to care for an elderly parent. It tells them you acknowledge the time, not that you ignore it (and possibly prompting a question about it).

Old 10-18-2018, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I was thinking this, too. Granted, we all grieve at our own place, most people do have to return to work in a week or two (or sometimes right away).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or