U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2018, 04:59 AM

22 posts, read 6,075 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are moving to the Raleigh area but we'll need to look for jobs beforehand. Our current apartment lease is up end of May. I work in healthcare administration (credentialing) and my husband works in purchasing/business administration. From what it looks like, we shouldn't have issues finding either one of those jobs. But, when do we get the ball rolling? Do I start looking in January?

I got a Google voice number with a NC area code to help me not get turned away due to a non-local number. I've also have acquired connections on LinkedIn to help me. Any advice is appreciated!
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2018, 05:12 AM

5,684 posts, read 5,928,269 times
I read January is the biggest hiring month of the year.

I would love to read about your journey. I seriously considered Raleigh but decided against it. Good luck!

Old 10-23-2018, 05:31 AM

28,484 posts, read 62,084,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpar417 View Post
My husband and I are moving to the Raleigh area but we'll need to look for jobs beforehand.
Our current apartment lease is up end of May.
Have you talked to your landlord about breaking the lease early?
Have you reviewed your lease (and local law) to KNOW what obligations you really have?
Do you know the term 'mitigation'?

Quote:
But, when do we get the ball rolling? Do I start looking in January?
If you're serious there is little reason to delay starting. Just go about it well.
Don't sign a lease in NC until you have at least one job.

Quote:
I got a Google voice number with a NC area code to help me not get turned away due to a non-local number.
And when the employer invites you to meet TOMORROW... what do you do?
To start the process with a deception? That doesn't bode well.

Quote:
I work in healthcare administration (credentialing)
and my husband works in purchasing/business administration.
Those are rather broad and general descriptors.

Quote:
From what it looks like, we shouldn't have issues finding either one of those jobs.
Finding something close to what you want/expect will still take some time.

Finding exactly what you want/expect, especially twice over, will take a year or two...
and depend more on the LOCAL contacts you can make living there during the interim.

Good luck.

Old 10-23-2018, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Have you talked to your landlord about breaking the lease early?
Have you reviewed your lease (and local law) to KNOW what obligations you really have?
Do you know the term 'mitigation'?

If you're serious there is little reason to delay starting. Just go about it well.
Don't sign a lease in NC until you have at least one job.

And when the employer invites you to meet TOMORROW... what do you do?
To start the process with a deception? That doesn't bode well.

Those are rather broad and general descriptors.

Finding something close to what you want/expect will still take some time.

Finding exactly what you want/expect, especially twice over, will take a year or two...
and depend more on the LOCAL contacts you can make living there during the interim.

Good luck.
Thanks for the advice! We won't be breaking our lease early. I'm willing to drive/fly down for an interview if the opportunity is worth it. We've been planning this since May of this year so it will be about 1 year in the works by the time our lease is up. Most apartments won't lease to people who don't have jobs within the state so we will probably get a room in an extended stay hotel & keep our belongings in storage if we don't have anything lined up by the time our lease is over. But, I am really trying to secure a telecommute position which would make things a lot easier.

Old 10-23-2018, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post
I read January is the biggest hiring month of the year.

I would love to read about your journey. I seriously considered Raleigh but decided against it. Good luck!
Yes, January is always a good time because that's when company budgets go into effect for the new year and they designate money to job openings needed in the company.

Thank you!! We are so excited. What made you change your mind about Raleigh?

Old 10-23-2018, 07:52 AM

28,484 posts, read 62,084,629 times
Quote:
We won't be breaking our lease early.
Yeah? What if you get solid offer next week?

Quote:
I'm willing to drive/fly down for an interview if the opportunity is worth it.
That isn't the point of my comment.
It's about what they do once they learn of your deception and who else they'll tell about it.
Don't start off on the wrong foot.

Quote:
...trying to secure a telecommute position which would make things a lot easier.
You'll probably have better luck finding that wherever you are now than in Tech Central

Quote:
...we will probably get a room in an extended stay...
I'll suggest that almost every relocating aspirant really has to expect this stage;
to include the temp type of get by jobs needed to start making local contacts.

Old 10-23-2018, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the advice! We won't be breaking our lease early. I'm willing to drive/fly down for an interview if the opportunity is worth it. We've been planning this since May of this year so it will be about 1 year in the works by the time our lease is up. Most apartments won't lease to people who don't have jobs within the state so we will probably get a room in an extended stay hotel & keep our belongings in storage if we don't have anything lined up by the time our lease is over. But, I am really trying to secure a telecommute position which would make things a lot easier.
I recently went through this myself. Extended stays are too expensive. I was able rent an apartment in an awesome complex before securing employment. They did a credit check, criminal check and required a certain amount of reserve. I suspect you should not encounter any issues because so many people are moving there.

I got a 6 month lease which I regret. A year is cheaper. I did not know how things would work out.

Old 10-23-2018, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Yes, January is always a good time because that's when company budgets go into effect for the new year and they designate money to job openings needed in the company.

Thank you!! We are so excited. What made you change your mind about Raleigh?
It was close. I think there are too many people for the resources available. Everywhere I went I had to wait an hour to eat. I felt securing employment would be difficult. It is very competitive.

I have a friend that lives in Apex. She is happy but she has to travel to Chapel Hill for work. I was looking for an all in one deal.

I enjoyed my time there. Check out the flea market. I went to this museum with amazing grounds. Great science museum for kids. Nice! I am curious how you find it.

Old 10-24-2018, 09:42 AM

3,718 posts, read 2,129,453 times
I don't think you need the Google voice number. I don't have a local phone number in the area where I live and it hasn't impacted the number of callbacks on job searches that I have done in the past decade.

Some advise leaving an address off of your resume. I'm not entirely sure what you should do here. In the early 2010s, I moved to a city with a vibrant economy without a job and started looking for jobs once I got on the ground in that city. I was having issues as a non-local candidate before the aforementioned move. You could omit an address from your resume, you could use the address of an extended stay hotel, or you could use a friend's address. All have their pros and cons.

The key question is...Can you show up in Raleigh to interview in person on a moment's notice (essentially 1-2 days)?

Old 10-24-2018, 11:53 AM

I agree. They know exactly where you are from. Many will not pay for airfare or relocation costs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or