Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2018, 02:56 PM

2 posts, read 617 times

Advertisements

I am in the process of having a background check completed. They told me it would take 3 to 5 business days to complete. We are on day 3 and they are waiting for one more work verification. My biggest concern was my credit was not 100% great and I didnt know if that would affect my offer. Do you think if it was they would have notified me already, or do they wait until everything is complete, then let people know there was a issue. I in order to give my current job a two weeks notice, I would need the background check to be done tomorrow.

Last edited by amil4b; 11-08-2018 at 03:34 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2018, 06:45 AM

6,131 posts, read 7,987,444 times
Are you sure they are even checking your credit? Many employers don’t, even though the release you sign to authorize the background check says they can.

It’s probably exactly what they told you.

If you’re really worried about it, pull copies of your credit report yourself and look at the inquiries section to see if any background check companies got a copy recently.

Old 11-10-2018, 06:51 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,897,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amil4b View Post
I am in the process of having a background check completed. They told me it would take 3 to 5 business days to complete. We are on day 3 and they are waiting for one more work verification. My biggest concern was my credit was not 100% great and I didnt know if that would affect my offer. Do you think if it was they would have notified me already, or do they wait until everything is complete, then let people know there was a issue. I in order to give my current job a two weeks notice, I would need the background check to be done tomorrow.

First off, it's unusual for employers to do a credit check with the background unless the position you will be working in is going to have significant fiscal responsibility. The only time I include a credit check in the background reports is when company policy requires it--for positions like Finance Manager, Controller, etc.

It's not uncommon for a background check to take several days to come back; usually it's 3-4 days for them to complete them on average for applicants I have had. Longest one was 5 days for a guy who had lived in 5 states from frequent transfers with his former job. A background check usually has a SSN verification, a county/state criminal background check that goes back 7 years, and verification of past employers/schools. The pain is verifying schools and employers because sometimes they take their time getting back to the background check service.

I wouldn't stress too much about it. If something is found in your background that the hiring company finds objectionable, they will send you an adverse action report which you can respond to.

Unless you are applying for a job with fiscal responsibility,it is doubtful they are even checking your credit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search