U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2018, 10:53 AM

1,580 posts, read 824,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Itís not a big secret, when they see the graduation date, previous job dates, and see you at the interview. Most people will have a picture on LinkedIn or social media, so it seems futile to try and hide your age.
Yes, if an older person can make it to the interview stage. I agree about the other things, though. There really is no way to hide it - just Google the person. You are correct.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2018, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
If It's not a required field, skip it.
Yes, I would skip it if it was not required. The only optional fields seem to be race, gender and disability questions. Since age is protected along with those other things, I don't think they should be allowed to make it a requirment to ask DOB.

Old 11-06-2018, 01:54 PM

7,122 posts, read 2,921,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeko156 View Post
Yes, I would skip it if it was not required. The only optional fields seem to be race, gender and disability questions. Since age is protected along with those other things, I don't think they should be allowed to make it a requirment to ask DOB.
As was already mentioned, your age will come out. You would still have to provide proof that they denied hiring you because of age to push it. Consider that they can also get an idea of your relative age just from your employment history and the level of experience you'd need to hold those positions. Not very likely that a former department head or middle level supervisor of a staff of 10 was a youngster. It takes time to gain that sort of expertise. Present it in a positive light or no one will view it that way. All of my more recent job applications were public sector. They asked for DOB. Never bothered me, but then I've never seen much point in avoiding things that will be apparent eventually. Its sort of telling them you take reality head on, not wiggle out from under it.

Last edited by Parnassia; 11-06-2018 at 02:24 PM..

Old 11-06-2018, 02:18 PM
Status: "Wishing everybody a splendid summer!" (set 12 days ago)

30,147 posts, read 2,542,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
It’s not a big secret, when they see the graduation date, previous job dates, and see you at the interview. Most people will have a picture on LinkedIn or social media, so it seems futile to try and hide your age.
Exactly! Even if you're not on LinkedIn or social media your history is on your resume or application with dates. It is not too hard to figure out an age range from that information. Maybe people who don't want to give their date of birth really don't want their zodiac sign revealed.

Old 11-06-2018, 03:55 PM

11,128 posts, read 8,537,739 times
Quote:
No, I mean when you fill out the online form, will it allow you to skip it or will you get an error message saying it's required? If no error message, skip it.

Old 11-06-2018, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
No, I mean when you fill out the online form, will it allow you to skip it or will you get an error message saying it's required? If no error message, skip it.
It is required in order to move on to the next section.

Old 11-06-2018, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
As was already mentioned, your age will come out. You would still have to provide proof that they denied hiring you because of age to push it. Consider that they can also get an idea of your relative age just from your employment history and the level of experience you'd need to hold those positions. Not very likely that a former department head or middle level supervisor of a staff of 10 was a youngster. It takes time to gain that sort of expertise. Present it in a positive light or no one will view it that way. All of my more recent job applications were public sector. They asked for DOB. Never bothered me, but then I've never seen much point in avoiding things that will be apparent eventually. Its sort of telling them you take reality head on, not wiggle out from under it.
I'm not wiggling out of it. I just think it presents a barrier in getting to the interview stage. My resume only goes back 15 years and I'm not on social media, so it would not be so easy for them to immediately realize I am in my 50's. Plus, I am a recent college grad - again, probably not something they expect from someone in their 50's. I know they could Google me, but with 200 applications or more, I am guessing they don't have the time or desire for that. I am not planning on suing or complaining - just venting, I guess, and curious about what the rest of you in my boat think about it.

Age should have the same protections as race and disability - they shouldn't make it a requirement to answer. If they don't want to hire me, fine. But at least give me the same doorway as you would a 30 year old.

Old 11-06-2018, 04:37 PM

Just to be clear - I'm not saying anyone "owes" me a job - far from it. I just don't want my resume going into the shredder because they see I am in my 50's. I know they will realize it when they see me - I look my age. But I at least want that chance.

Old 11-06-2018, 06:29 PM

11,128 posts, read 8,537,739 times
What kind of job is it?

Old 11-07-2018, 08:17 AM

433 posts, read 257,519 times
Quote:
I'm not wiggling out of it. I just think it presents a barrier in getting to the interview stage. My resume only goes back 15 years and I'm not on social media, so it would not be so easy for them to immediately realize I am in my 50's. Plus, I am a recent college grad - again, probably not something they expect from someone in their 50's. I know they could Google me, but with 200 applications or more, I am guessing they don't have the time or desire for that. I am not planning on suing or complaining - just venting, I guess, and curious about what the rest of you in my boat think about it.

Age should have the same protections as race and disability - they shouldn't make it a requirement to answer. If they don't want to hire me, fine. But at least give me the same doorway as you would a 30 year old.
There's an important difference between an employer asking about your race vs. asking about your DOB: There is almost never a practical and legal reason for an employer to inquire about race (unless it's part of a survey) since it neither impacts job performance nor is it usually needed for identification purposes. With your DOB, even when age does not impact job performance, it is frequently needed for identification (e.g. when I mentioned that you have to provide it on the I-9 form). With disabilities (or other medical issues) you shouldn't have to disclose your condition(s) except what you need an accommodation for (since here the identification justification doesn't usually apply, but they may need to know for practical purposes if it affects your ability to do your job without accommodations).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or