U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2018, 10:55 AM

1,580 posts, read 822,717 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyXY View Post
There's an important difference between an employer asking about your race vs. asking about your DOB: There is almost never a practical and legal reason for an employer to inquire about race (unless it's part of a survey) since it neither impacts job performance nor is it usually needed for identification purposes. With your DOB, even when age does not impact job performance, it is frequently needed for identification (e.g. when I mentioned that you have to provide it on the I-9 form). With disabilities (or other medical issues) you shouldn't have to disclose your condition(s) except what you need an accommodation for (since here the identification justification doesn't usually apply, but they may need to know for practical purposes if it affects your ability to do your job without accommodations).
An I9 is not submitted until the person has been offered the job. There is no need to ask DOB on an employment application. Many applications ask if the applicant is over the age of 18 to ensure minors are not applying. I do not have an issue with that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2018, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
What kind of job is it?
Mostly low level accounting jobs. I could almost understand it if they were jobs that required a very attractive or youthful appearance, such as sales or marketing. I could almost justify it if they were jobs that required a great deal of physical strength such as a CNA or physical therapist. But even in those cases, I still think age should be protected in the application process.

Old 11-08-2018, 12:05 PM

7,072 posts, read 2,899,892 times
In the end, you can think whatever you want. If an employer's application asks for DOB and it is not an optional piece of information, you have three choices...provide the DOB, don't apply, or argue over it. If you protest something as basic as completing a form and decide to argue the point they may decide you are too much trouble or would be a high maintenance employee. There are other candidates who won't let this stand in the way of a job they want.

Old 11-08-2018, 02:36 PM

433 posts, read 256,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeko156 View Post
An I9 is not submitted until the person has been offered the job.
I already mentioned that in another post to this thread (in case you thought you could get by without ever disclosing your age to your employer).

Old 11-08-2018, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
In the end, you can think whatever you want. If an employer's application asks for DOB and it is not an optional piece of information, you have three choices...provide the DOB, don't apply, or argue over it. If you protest something as basic as completing a form and decide to argue the point they may decide you are too much trouble or would be a high maintenance employee. There are other candidates who won't let this stand in the way of a job they want.
No, I have never argued the point to a potential employer. I usually just complete the application. I just feel it is very discriminatory and prevents a barrier to an initial interview. I guess we will have to agree to disagree on the matter, but thank you for your input.

Old 11-09-2018, 06:33 AM

5,509 posts, read 6,124,485 times
Iíve only come across a few sites that ask for things like DOB or SSNs at the initial application stage, but when I do (not currently looking) I skip it if I can. If itís a required field I give obviously fake information. Then I will include a statement in my cover letter, or in an additional attachment if allowed, that I do not provide that kind of personally identifiable information in online job applications as a matter of personal security. I will specifically state that if their system did not allow me to leave the fields blank I provided inaccurate information and that if I move forward in the process I will provide the correct data at the appropriate time.

I have no idea if thatís ever knocked me out of the running for a job or not, but if it does itís probably not a company Iíd want to work at anyway.

Old 11-09-2018, 06:38 AM

5,509 posts, read 6,124,485 times
Quote:
No, I have never argued the point to a potential employer. I usually just complete the application. I just feel it is very discriminatory and prevents a barrier to an initial interview. I guess we will have to agree to disagree on the matter, but thank you for your input.
It’s not just potentially discriminatory it also is very likely placing you at a higher risk of identity theft. Companies have no need for this type of information at this stage and by collecting it, they are adding an unnecessary and expensive obligation on themselves to protect it. It’s a sign that the HR Department is not being run well. Considering that, how likely is it that the information is being properly protected, and not disseminated inappropriately?

Old 11-10-2018, 08:37 PM

2,387 posts, read 683,329 times
https://www.humanresourcesmba.net/fa...b-application/

Quote:
Applicant’s Age
The Age Discrimination in Employment Act protects employees 40 years of age and above. Job applications cannot ask for the candidate’s date of birth. Generally speaking, age is not relevant in most hiring decisions with the exception of young candidates who are under the age of 18. Most HR professionals simply calculate the candidate’s approximate age by asking for the year that the candidate graduated from high school and college in the education section. Once the employee is hired, they will need to disclose their date of birth for I-9, W-4 and insurance documentation.
I once saw a company that DID require date of birth AND year of oldest degree. (not year of latest degree, but your oldest degree) - I reported that to the state attorney general (who was on an anti age discrimination platform) and two months later, that form miraculously had the date of birth and oldest degree requirement removed.

Old 12-19-2018, 02:32 PM

9,519 posts, read 13,433,244 times
Quote:
I thought this was not legal, but I am running into this all the time in my search for a better job. I am in my 50's, so it is an issue. Then there will be a disclaimer about "this information will not be forwarded to the hiring manager..." DUH. That is because they will never see it! It will end up in the trash. It is just frustrating. Needless to say, I don't hear back. I see questions regarding gender and race, too, but those are always optional or a box to select "I don't wish to answer".
I never answer anything related to my race, disability, or veteran status. I am female so I do answer that one, it may help some.

The fact that I do not have a disability, I'm white and not a veteran does me no favors. They can keep wondering Ö

I do have a picture on LinkedIn so I mean I guess if they wanted to figure out my race they could (though some people do not always appear to actually be the race they really are)

Still, look, there are ways to figure it out Ö I just hate making it easy for them.

They most def do see it and they most def do use it to hire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or