U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2018, 10:55 AM

15,028 posts, read 21,748,212 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Well, you were advised not to write back but you did, and it looks like you are still being ignored.

I don't see why you should get so worked up, when you could just have moved on without contacting them again. All it did was upset you more.

Lesson learned, trust your gut instinct and be ready to move forward when you don't get timely response back. That way, if you do get contacted later, good, but if you don't, you moved on.
Because it is rude and beyond frustrating.

OP, I get it. My husband had a very similar situation to yours. It was a friend of his for years. He interviewed, was more than qualified, and the guy just ghosted him.

It takes two minutes to write an email and say 'thanks but no thanks'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2018, 11:26 AM

16 posts, read 3,933 times
Thanks, veuvegirl. My point exactly.

Old 11-13-2018, 07:46 PM

2,424 posts, read 693,558 times
Don't get emotionally attached to any job application. Just move on. You'll find an employer who actually wants talent.

Old 11-14-2018, 05:04 AM

I heard back from the HR Manager who said they're narrowing down to final candidates and she'd be in touch 'very soon.' So appears I'm still in the mix, as she surely would have said 'we're moving forward with others' if I wasn't... I continue to search and interview with others, of course. Stay tuned.

Old 11-15-2018, 05:49 AM

1,590 posts, read 825,990 times
How did they learn of your job that was not on your resume? From the assessment?

Anyways, glad you heard back, but keep pushing forward with other companies - I think they put you off for too long and I didn't like her "not a dealbreaker" comment.

Old 11-15-2018, 07:07 AM

Small industry in a big town. Turns out there are people there who were working at the other company during my brief stint and who heard I was being considered (not sure how that came about), and said, "Oh, I knew her at XXX." Seems to be a matter of name recognition, but it made them curious why it wasn't on my resume. Not an unreasonable thing in my mind.

I checked LinkedIn and their website, where they show pics of all key employees, recognized only one name, and it wasn't anyone with whom I had any direct dealings, so it is unlikely this person knew what actually transpired. I appreciated them asking me for the truth, rather than just dismissing me out of hand. The 'deal breaker' term was mine; she just said it wasn't... And of course, I'm continuing to pursue others.

Given how slowly some companies move, and my personal feelings about it aside, I'm not sure 3 weeks post-assessment is 'too long' but my caution flag is up. Fact is, HR wrote back in 2 days. She could have been out sick or out of town - no way of knowing, and to judge or dismiss because of that would be useless and self-defeating. I personally would never let an email sit that long, but that's me. Not everyone is as responsive, right or wrong.

Old 01-12-2019, 06:38 AM

36 posts, read 11,062 times
In my experience I've never heard of someone sending a follow up and HR writing back:

"Oh wow, yeah! Totally forgot about the role we needed filled and budgeted thousands for. Here's an offer attached."

Thank you note and then move on. Hope you got the job and are kicking butt!

Old 01-13-2019, 10:19 AM

2,075 posts, read 600,385 times
Interested to hear what happened in this situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or