U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2018, 11:13 AM

16 posts, read 3,933 times

Advertisements

Please excuse the length of this. I appreciate any input from job hunters and hiring managers, if both are here...

I interviewed 3 weeks ago with the 'boss to be' and Director of Operations for a professional position that is a definite fit skill-wise (their opinion and mine). I think we all felt the interview went well, and I sent hand-written thank you notes to both of them, as well as the company president who briefly met with me as well. I should mention that I was recommended to the boss to be a few years ago by a former supervisor/mutual acquaintance, and we met then and really hit it off, so we already had a relationship before this.

Before leaving the initial interview, they asked me to take the 'next step' of completing 3 hours of online assessments a few days later. She (boss to be) called two days later with a question about a job I had that is not on my resume. I honestly explained what happened - it was one bad 3 month stint in a 30 year career - and she said what I told her wasn't a deal-breaker for her, but she'd share with the team. She also told me they were going over my assessments, and that everyone was shooting looks at her and laughing, because "you are exactly like me!" She is well-respected, so this seemed a good sign to me. She thought I'd hear within a few days from the HR manager, who initiates the 2nd interview. I waited a full week, then sent her a short email asking if there was an update, but no reply from her yet, nor any word from the HR manager.

They are in their busiest work season, so I really don't want to push, and I'm hopeful that's all it is, but even a 'please sit tight, we're just slammed' would relieve a lot of anxiety. I want to think no news is just no news, not necessarily *bad* news, but that's all speculation, and feedback from them would help. Am I expecting too much? I also hope they'll review the assessments with me at some point, either way.

How long do I wait before contacting her again? Since she is on the front lines in the busy department, could I try the Director of Operations (my gut says no on this, just tossing it out there), or just bite the bullet for another 2-3 weeks, assuming someone will be in touch eventually. I do think it's fair and reasonable to ask for an update at some point and do not think they'd disagree with that - it's just a matter of timing.

Help - and thanks.

Last edited by 57Bailey; 11-06-2018 at 11:47 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2018, 07:53 PM

17,284 posts, read 10,206,664 times
Sorry but looks like you've been 'ghosted.'

I know it's not what you want to hear or do, as it appears you really wanted this job and felt it was a great fit on both sides, but the best thing for you to do is to move on and NOT contact her or anyone else at the organization.

All of the things the would be boss said, taking an online assessment a few days later, and HR getting back in touch in a few days (as well as the statement about being exactly like you), were all fluff designed to mislead you. They didn't want to give you any bad news then, so they gave you false hopes instead of being the 'bad guy.'

The thing that strikes me is that you already contacted this lady after waiting a week with no word. And you still didn't receive a response. That should tell you something. It's bad enough you took no assessment and no one from HR contacted you, but they're ignoring you altogether AFTER you e-mailed them for an update.

Please, save your self respect and dignity, and do NOT contact them any further. Why would you even want to work for an organization that treats you like this in the first place?

Look, if they do in fact call you back for another interview, great, go for it. But writing back to them a second time after they ignored you the first time (after no assessment and no contact from HR), why waste your time on this? Put your energies into finding another place to apply and interview for.

Old 11-06-2018, 08:20 PM

Thanks. What do you mean 'no assessment'? I did the assessments before we last talked. It's a small industry where everyone knows everyone, and I can't imagine they could treat candidates that way, and still have the good reputation they have. Given the industry, odds are very good that our paths would cross again at some point, so I'm really not sure you're right, but it's food for thought anyway. Incidentally, she has been less than responsive to emails in the past, so it's not unusual for her responses to be delayed. It's only been a few days.

Old 11-07-2018, 04:04 AM

To clarify: I completed the assessments 3 days after the interview, then she called me 2 days after that. The next step in their process is a 2nd interview that is always initiated by HR, and attended by HR and the boss to be, et al...

Old 11-07-2018, 07:07 AM

15,024 posts, read 21,743,419 times
I have to concur, it really appears you have been ghosted. That said, I personally would send another note to ask for an update.

Old 11-07-2018, 08:42 AM

Thanks, veuvegirl. I agree that it's worth one more email, this time to the HR manager - instead of the boss to be, who specifically said next contact would be from HR. I have nothing to lose. The worst they can think is that I'm persistent. I can live with that.

Old 11-10-2018, 09:23 PM

2,425 posts, read 693,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 57Bailey View Post
She (boss to be) called two days later with a question about a job I had that is not on my resume. I honestly explained what happened - it was one bad 3 month stint in a 30 year career - and she said what I told her wasn't a deal-breaker for her, but she'd share with the team.
If they're being so nit picky at the candidate stage, imagine how badly they'll be nit picky when you actually get the job.

Some say you've been ghosted. That's a good thing. You dodged a bullet that you're not working for this company.

Remember, how a company treats their candidates, is how they treat their employees.

Old 11-12-2018, 05:48 AM

Indeed. I'm floored and insulted by the entire situation. The 'boss to be' has known me for more than 2 years, yet she says nothing. I also haven't heard back yet - nor do I expect to - from the HR manager, to whom I wrote Friday (heck, why not) with a request for an update, along with reiteration of my qualifications and interest in the company.

As a corollary: Another company I applied to sent an email within a week indicating they would not be moving forward. I wasn't surprised since the job really wasn't a perfect fit, but I was so impressed by the respect they showed me. The email was from a 'no reply' address, so I sent my contact there a note asking her to please convey to the emailer my sincere thanks, and that this indicated to me the high integrity of the company.

The situation in my original post is hardly unusual. It is atrocious how candidates are treated these days. When did it become such an exception when one is treated with respect and consideration that a simple "thanks but we won't be moving forward" email calls for lauds and applause? When did it become okay to treat people with so little regard?

Old 11-12-2018, 09:29 AM

17,284 posts, read 10,206,664 times
Well, you were advised not to write back but you did, and it looks like you are still being ignored.

I don't see why you should get so worked up, when you could just have moved on without contacting them again. All it did was upset you more.

Lesson learned, trust your gut instinct and be ready to move forward when you don't get timely response back. That way, if you do get contacted later, good, but if you don't, you moved on.

Old 11-12-2018, 10:43 AM

Wow... Um, I am not "worked up." I was told that HR was the next person I would hear from, and that I very likely would not hear from she-who-would-be-boss. So I wrote to HR. No harm, no foul. To my mind, this was a reasonable thing to do. I appreciate the input here, but will do what I feel I need to do to be okay with a situation. Any number of things could have caused a delay in my hearing back and I believe in giving people a second chance. Now I have confirmation, know I've done all I can, and I'm okay with how I handled it, even if you think I'm an idiot for doing it. Thanks for the input.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or