U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2018, 07:46 AM

4 posts, read 1,834 times

Advertisements

Here is my story. Three hours after an onsite interview, the recruiter notified me that my interviewers gave me strong recommendations so I got the job. She briefly went through the package and I accepted it over the phone. When I asked her about the official letter, she told me that I have to clear the background check before an official letter can be made, and she will send me an bg check application in next week. Is this normal? I thought the standard process is offer letter -> accept -> background check. I really feel unsecured to cancel other interviews.

Last edited by littledoodoo; 11-08-2018 at 08:20 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2018, 09:19 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
30,148 posts, read 54,995,333 times
No, here the offer is verbal, contingent upon the background/reference checks. The reason is to avoid the cost of the background check and time calling references without verbal confirmation that the person would accept the pay and benefits being offered. I have never had anyone fail, though, they have always gotten the written offer eventually, usually within a week. Still, I would never cancel other interviews without the written offer.

Old 11-10-2018, 09:37 PM

2,534 posts, read 739,077 times
Don't cancel any other interviews. Until you have a written job offer, operate under the assumption you don't have a job offer. Don't get attached to any job application.

Old 11-22-2018, 05:38 AM

137 posts, read 56,023 times
This just happened with one of my adult kids. After an in-person interview, an afternoon of testing to prove he could do the work, and a drug test, he got a call saying he would get an offer after the background checks were complete.

Maybe it's common now.

Old Today, 03:44 AM

727 posts, read 337,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsell View Post
Don't cancel any other interviews. Until you have a written job offer, operate under the assumption you don't have a job offer. Don't get attached to any job application.
Good advice. I was just offered a job. I know the background check is in progress...upon verbally accepting the job I asked about benefits.....still waiting for the answer. The supervisor that I would be reporting to who extended the job to me did not know what the benefits were for this full time job. Hmmm. Seriously? I requested that HR send me an offer letter spelling out the specifics. Including the hourly rate verbally quoted. This was Tuesday....still waiting. No, I have not resigned from my current job.

Actually, they can drag this out some...I would like to hear back from a different job that i would prefer to have but their wheels turn slowly...i am still receiving rejection letters from employers who never even extended an interview to me. Some of my apps go back to April or May. Hey, i got the hint weeks ago, good thing I have a sense of humor!

Old Today, 03:03 PM

727 posts, read 337,502 times
Background check is complete...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or