Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2018, 12:06 AM

359 posts, read 301,899 times

Advertisements

I was browsing job ads tonight and came across a potential employer's careers site that asks:
  1. Current employer's company name, address, supervisor name, contact info
  2. Past employment again company name, etc.
Here are my issues. I don't want them to tip off my current employer. If they google my name and linkedin, they can find the company name. Should I temporarily disable the Linkedin profile - I was thinking of tapping into my former classmates' network to see if any work for the companies I plan to apply to. However I don't want my current supervisor to be contacted until I have a new written offer in hand and am ready to leave the company.

Past employment: I was fired from my last job after less than 2 months. Looks bad but it was my first experience in the field since graduating. Their careers form has options for terminated, laid off, resigned, currently, employed, etc. and a box for explanation. What would you write if avoiding the negative sounding terminated choice?

Also, if I have to attend an out of state interview and am unable to make it back to my current employer on time but don't have any official sick days, what would you say to both the current and potential employers? If possible, I'd request a Skype interview, but have found they consider you more serious if you actually show up to the interview in person, especially at your own expense. I've drivem up to 20 hours round trip for an interview.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2018, 08:23 AM

5,317 posts, read 3,223,226 times
Employers discriminate against people who are out of work. That is complicated by why one is out of work.

Fired/Quit are worse than laid off. But the reason many times doesn't matter. You're out of work, you must be inferior goods is the false stereotype.

A solution to this problem:

Why were you fired? You can reword it to sound like a positive.

Old 11-11-2018, 06:42 PM

29,509 posts, read 22,620,513 times
When Prospective Employers Ask to Contact Your Current Boss

How to Complete a Job Application After Being Fired

Old 11-12-2018, 06:40 AM

10,611 posts, read 12,115,646 times
-- You do know it's not realistic to apply for a job and not want them to know where you work now, right? So, just apply and ask that they not contact your current employer.

-- Use references from previous jobs
-- Couch your being terminated in the best terms you can. No suggestions on what to write. Sorry I'm not good at that part of things.

Old 11-12-2018, 08:00 AM

12,104 posts, read 23,262,756 times
We ask for all of that information. It is easier to get it up front than try to collect it later. We don't contact anyone unless you sign a background release form.

Old 11-12-2018, 08:20 AM

5,896 posts, read 3,895,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedonaverde View Post
Past employment: I was fired from my last job after less than 2 months. Looks bad but it was my first experience in the field since graduating. Their careers form has options for terminated, laid off, resigned, currently, employed, etc. and a box for explanation. What would you write if avoiding the negative sounding terminated choice?
Do you really need to list this employer on there?

Old 11-12-2018, 12:09 PM

359 posts, read 301,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsthetime View Post
Do you really need to list this employer on there?

Maybe. I have an unemployment gap after graduating and this partially fills it. Without it, it would show a 9 month period of unemployment after graduating while most of my peers were employed then. Also, although it lasted less than 2 months, I was exposed to valuable industry specific software.

Old 11-12-2018, 03:15 PM

7,759 posts, read 3,879,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedonaverde View Post
Maybe. I have an unemployment gap after graduating and this partially fills it. Without it, it would show a 9 month period of unemployment after graduating while most of my peers were employed then. Also, although it lasted less than 2 months, I was exposed to valuable industry specific software.
Don't list a 2 month employer and don't divulge unless they grill you about it. Remove it from your LinkedIn and Resume.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search