U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-11-2018, 12:24 PM
 
437 posts, read 259,328 times
Reputation: 552

Advertisements

I think the impact of the email domain (not the handle as I said above) largely depends on the "tech culture" of where you're applying. A "dated" domain is less likely to be an issue somewhere where the attitude tends to be "if it ain't broke don't fix it" than for example a job in the tech industry. (With Hotmail and Yahoo! it's more of a "fashion" thing but AOL is a bit worse because it's associated with an outdated technology, namely dial-up Internet.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-11-2018, 02:25 PM
 
Location: Erie, PA
2,882 posts, read 1,269,494 times
Reputation: 6485
Quote:
Originally Posted by UserNamesake View Post
What?!!!


Recently had a convo with an associate who has a hand in the hiring process at a company... This guy said he immediately discarded resumes if the email the candidate used was anything other than Gmail.



[snip]


Is this really a widespread practice?




Someone still using that old Angelfire email is gonna get their resume tossed although they might be a purple squirrel and the best fit...





Amazing.
Wow, your associate sounds like a real 'gem'.

Does he also judge candidates on things like age, race, sex and neat stuff like that? This guy sounds like he is pretty much everything that is going wrong with recruiting/HR.

I get resumes from people who use Gmail, Yahoo, and yes, even AOL.

If someone can't look beyond something as trivial as a domain in an email address then how are they going to be able to look objectively at the resume since they've already judged the person?

Sorry but your colleague is a freaking idiot and needs his arse kicked up around his shoulders

Last edited by PJSaturn; 11-16-2018 at 08:45 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2018, 11:11 AM
 
Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
29,895 posts, read 54,596,860 times
Reputation: 31277
As a hiring manager I have never even noticed the email address of an applicant. It's nothing that I would consider as having anything to do with their worthiness as a potential employee. I wouldn't be emailing them anyway, since I only review the resumes and indicate whether or not I want to interview them, for HR to either send a rejection letter or schedule the interview.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2018, 03:28 PM
Status: "Didn't work out as planned, eh?" (set 2 days ago)
 
3,774 posts, read 2,044,586 times
Reputation: 5216
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie Joseph View Post
If someone can't look beyond something as trivial as a domain in an email address then how are they going to be able to look objectively at the resume since they've already judged the person?
Exactly. I look at this type of situation as a win/win. You get to pass on a candidate that doesn't fit your "culture", and I get to avoid working for a place that values appearances over everything else. This is something I would have been concerned about in my younger years but not anymore. If the email address still works, why should I...get a new one because "everyone else is doing it"? Google is Big Brother nowadays (moreso than similar companies). It might actually be smarter to not have a Gmail address.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2018, 05:26 PM
 
6,878 posts, read 3,738,459 times
Reputation: 18149
I would never look at an email address any more than a street address when reviewing a resume. Has absolutely nothing to do with the qualifications. I focus on content, not superficial things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-14-2018, 10:01 AM
 
Location: North Carolina
2,034 posts, read 1,754,161 times
Reputation: 1538
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie Joseph View Post
Wow, your associate sounds like a real 'gem'.

Does he also judge candidates on things like age, race, sex and neat stuff like that? This guy sounds like he is pretty much everything that is going wrong with recruiting/HR.

I get resumes from people who use Gmail, Yahoo, and yes, even AOL.

If someone can't look beyond something as trivial as a domain in an email address then how are they going to be able to look objectively at the resume since they've already judged the person?

Sorry but your colleague is a freaking idiot and needs his arse kicked up around his shoulders

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
I would never look at an email address any more than a street address when reviewing a resume. Has absolutely nothing to do with the qualifications. I focus on content, not superficial things.




I hear y'all and good stuff. At least there are some reasonable people left in this world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-14-2018, 01:23 PM
 
Location: S.W. Florida
2,226 posts, read 940,997 times
Reputation: 6268
Quote:
Originally Posted by UserNamesake View Post
What?!!!


Recently had a convo with an associate who has a hand in the hiring process at a company... This guy said he immediately discarded resumes if the email the candidate used was anything other than Gmail.



[snip]


Is this really a widespread practice?




Someone still using that old Angelfire email is gonna get their resume tossed although they might be a purple squirrel and the best fit...





Amazing.
Never heard of that when I was interviewing candidates. That being said, a company may look at an outdated provider as an indicator that the candidate may not be up on the latest greatest whatever.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 11-16-2018 at 08:46 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-15-2018, 05:17 PM
 
2,213 posts, read 695,535 times
Reputation: 1632
Quote:
Originally Posted by UserNamesake View Post
What?!!!


Recently had a convo with an associate who has a hand in the hiring process at a company... This guy said he immediately discarded resumes if the email the candidate used was anything other than Gmail.



[snip]


Is this really a widespread practice?




Someone still using that old Angelfire email is gonna get their resume tossed although they might be a purple squirrel and the best fit...





Amazing.

Not sure that company is worth my time.

"Fire the customer." Find the company that sees your worth, and give them that worth. Show your worth.



Don't waste time with people that do what you said...

Last edited by PJSaturn; 11-16-2018 at 08:46 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2018, 07:24 AM
 
Location: Los Angeles
12,199 posts, read 10,402,078 times
Reputation: 33306
It's more about what's in front of the @ than what's behind it.

drugsboozeguns@gmail.com will get less results than Bob.Smith@angelfire.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2018, 08:55 AM
 
Location: NW Indiana
40,269 posts, read 15,212,820 times
Reputation: 102373
That's very odd, OP. I can't imagine an employer caring about someone's email address, unless it were something vulgar or reflected bigotry or hatred. My email address, which I used during my last job search, was (still is) [my real name]@frontier.com. Frontier is my local ISP and unless I want to remain anonymous I always use that email account.

This topic brings to mind a comedian's bit I heard recently on satellite radio. He was talking about job applicants and said he's probably pass over one where the person indicated his email address was "imaplaya@hustler.com."

I think your associate either misspoke or was outright lying about rejecting all candidates who used any address besides GMail.

.
__________________
My posts as a Moderator will always be in red.
Be sure to review Terms of Service: TOS And check this out: FAQ
Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Automotive, Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.
___________________________
~ Life's a gift. Don't waste it. ~
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top