U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2018, 12:49 PM

918 posts, read 1,040,730 times

Advertisements

The person that is tossing out resume because they don't have gmail.com prob should be the person that needs to be replace.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2018, 02:23 PM

11,155 posts, read 8,563,629 times
Whatever. Just get a gmail address. Why waste time being angry when the solution is free and simple.

Old 11-16-2018, 03:36 PM

708 posts, read 779,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
It's more about what's in front of the @ than what's behind it.

drugsboozeguns@gmail.com will get less results than Bob.Smith@angelfire.com
Exactly.

I remember in my 20’s, advising a friend not to use her then email address on her resume. It was not something that you would want an employer to know was yours.

Anything with “sexy”, “hotmama”, “badb***h”, etc.... no, just no. I wouldn’t recommend an email with any of your favorite drinks or something like “wine lover” either.

Amazing that some people don’t know this already though.

Old 11-16-2018, 05:49 PM

2,465 posts, read 703,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Whatever. Just get a gmail address. Why waste time being angry when the solution is free and simple.
The solution is getting a mail.com email.

200 different domains (the part after the @ in an email address) plus using a professional username (the part before the @ in an email address) and you make a great first impression.

b.smith(at)consultant.com m.james(at)techie.com - that looks great on a resume.

Gmail is so inundated with users that creating a new account requires you to use large numbers (i.e. johndoe2398723423424(at)gmail.com to finally get one that works) - and that doesn't seem very nice on a resume. I don't recommend getting gmail.

Old 11-17-2018, 05:33 PM

3,800 posts, read 1,387,644 times
I used my first name, middle initial, and last name with a yahoo email address.

Old 11-18-2018, 06:42 AM

1,565 posts, read 405,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsell View Post

HOW TO GET AROUND THIS PROBLEM:[/color]

I use mail.com - it has over 200 different domains and you can create a great custom domain. And it is free.

For example: consultant.com europe.com techie.com engineer.com accountant.com contractor.net workmail.com

Getting a nice domain and a professional username = brings great attention to your resume and it is one of the first things they see, making a positive impression.
Nope, sorry, those don't work. Because it either looks like you are using your company's e-mail address, or you have a side-business and too sloppy to have your own personal e-mail address at gmail like everyone else does.

Gmail is free and very useful, it has many other features, and it shows you are clueless to not be using it.

I'm constantly surprised how people continue to work against their own best interests. Drinking, smoking pot and then taking the company drug test, come on, it's just an e-mail account and takes you less than 5 minutes to setup gmail. bob@techie.com is really tacky.

Old 11-18-2018, 06:49 AM

1,565 posts, read 405,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie Joseph View Post

If someone can't look beyond something as trivial as a domain in an email address then how are they going to be able to look objectively at the resume since they've already judged the person?
*sigh*, you really don't get it. Gmail is an industry standard thing to use in technology and it works with all these other products and features. Gmail is your gateway to using them and technology employers except you to know them and the fact that you went out of your way to use some days gone by AOL account just shows how clueless they can be. It isn't about the domain gmail.com, it is about ignoring an entire part of the successful highly used high technology industry.

Do you really think that's going to make a good impression applying for a job at Facebook, Amazon, Google, IBM, etc., using an AOL account?

Old 11-18-2018, 09:21 PM

2,465 posts, read 703,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rummage View Post
Nope, sorry, those don't work. Because it either looks like you are using your company's e-mail address,
Seriously, what company uses techie.com? Many companies use gmail, so your objection doesn't fly. I could argue that using gmail is using my company's email address.

Quote:
or you have a side-business
So someone using a consultant.com email when they are a consultant is wrong according to you. And nobody ever uses a gmail account for side businesses, right?

Quote:
and too sloppy to have your own personal e-mail address at gmail like everyone else does.
I do have a personal email on gmail, I don't use it for work. I have a professional looking email on mail.com.

Are you also using the "Everyone else does it" thing? This is real life, not freaking high school peer pressure.

Quote:
Gmail is free and very useful, it has many other features, and it shows you are clueless to not be using it.
mail.com also is free, very useful, and has a lot of great features. Should I also say you are clueless to not be using it since you don't even know what features they have?

Quote:
I'm constantly surprised how people continue to work against their own best interests. Drinking, smoking pot and then taking the company drug test,
Irrelevant to this discussion. What's next, you're going to bring up more irrelevant stuff?

Quote:
come on, it's just an e-mail account and takes you less than 5 minutes to setup gmail. bob@techie.com is really tacky.
Are you working for Google's marketing department?

I've been using a mail.com email for many years when I worked in IT, and recruiters ROUTINELY tell me they like my email address. Not one of them think I am using my company's email address. They liked how professional it looked. Over a decade of consulting in IT and not once have I heard anything bad about my email address on my resume.

I believe it is a great way to make a good impression on the resume, and I have years of experience that backs this up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rummage View Post
Do you really think that's going to make a good impression applying for a job at Facebook, Amazon, Google, IBM, etc., using an AOL account?
Yup. You are working for Google's marketing department. This explains the out of touch stereotyping.

Old 11-19-2018, 07:32 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,826 posts, read 33,236,319 times
My email is my first name @ my last name dot something. It has been that since the late 1990s. It's right there at the top of my resume and I don't think a single employer I've interviewed with has ever commented on it.

I think the only time an email address would be a disqualifier is if it implies something negative about the candidate. shoplifter22@gmail.com probably wouldn't get picked for an interview, even with the OP's prestigious view of the domain.

Old 11-19-2018, 07:38 PM

3,548 posts, read 2,240,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Maybe so when I tell my sister in an email that I'm thinking about getting a new car I won't be bombarded with car ads for a month on my internet feed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or