Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2018, 06:49 AM

2,679 posts, read 2,901,987 times

Advertisements

What?!!!

Recently had a convo with an associate who has a hand in the hiring process at a company... This guy said he immediately discarded resumes if the email the candidate used was anything other than Gmail.

Mod cut.

Is this really a widespread practice?

Someone still using that old Angelfire email is gonna get their resume tossed although they might be a purple squirrel and the best fit...

Amazing.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 11-16-2018 at 08:43 AM.. Reason: Language.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2018, 06:57 AM

6,830 posts, read 3,219,854 times
It might be now. When I was evaluating resumes (7 years ago), it would not have been an issue.The really important information was a history of previous jobs, time at each job, duties, and contact information for previous supervisors.

Old 11-11-2018, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willamette City View Post
It might be now. When I was evaluating resumes (7 years ago), it would not have been an issue.The really important information was a history of previous jobs, time at each job, duties, and contact information for previous supervisors.

Right.... and I would think the duties performed, too... It just seems so superficial and utterly ridiculous to discount a candidate immediately because they @yahoo.com behind their email handle as opposed to gmail.

Old 11-11-2018, 07:26 AM

6,830 posts, read 3,219,854 times
I was actually referring to applications more then resumes. Resumes are important, but sometimes contain a lot of fluff.

Old 11-11-2018, 08:18 AM

5,317 posts, read 3,226,802 times
This is true, one of many ridiculous reasons that employers reject people.

https://www.inc.com/alison-green/is-...ob-search.html

Quote:
No reasonable employer is going to reject you because of your email address's domain, but it does contribute to an overall impression of you. In most cases, using an AOL address does make you look behind the times when it comes to technology. Yahoo and Hotmail also have a dated feel to them, but not nearly to the same extent.

It's not likely to take you out of the running for most jobs, but there absolutely are stereotypes about those email addresses, and you should at least be aware that you might get branded with them.
Also, make sure your username is professional sounding. Do not use stuff like HotStud or SexyBaby.

And don't put your year number in your username, like janedoe55 or mikesmith65 - avoid the age discrimination trap.

HOW TO GET AROUND THIS PROBLEM:

I use mail.com - it has over 200 different domains and you can create a great custom domain. And it is free.

For example: consultant.com europe.com techie.com engineer.com accountant.com contractor.net workmail.com

Getting a nice domain and a professional username = brings great attention to your resume and it is one of the first things they see, making a positive impression.

Last edited by bobsell; 11-11-2018 at 08:30 AM..

Old 11-11-2018, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsell View Post
This is true, one of many ridiculous reasons that employers reject people.

https://www.inc.com/alison-green/is-...ob-search.html

Also, make sure your username is professional sounding. Do not use stuff like HotStud or SexyBaby.

And don't put your year number in your username, like janedoe55 or mikesmith65 - avoid the age discrimination.

HOW TO GET AROUND THIS PROBLEM:

I use mail.com - it has over 200 different domains and you can create a great custom domain. And it is free.

For example: consultant.com europe.com techie.com engineer.com accountant.com contractor.net workmail.com

Getting a nice domain and a professional username = brings great attention to your resume and it is one of the first things they see, making a positive impression.

That Inc. article... good gracious ... and yeah, mail.com is cool. I think sometimes their emails have more of likelihood to end up in the spam folder, though. What's your experience with it?

Old 11-11-2018, 08:28 AM

5,317 posts, read 3,226,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UserNamesake View Post
That Inc. article... good gracious ... and yeah, mail.com is cool. I think sometimes their emails have more of likelihood to end up in the spam folder, though. What's your experience with it?
It rarely happens - but sometimes mail.com domains are blacklisted due to spam - this same issue happens with yahoo, AOL, hotmail and many other providers. Spam is pervasive on the internet and constitutes like 90% of emails sent.

The solution to this is to use a backup email. I have a gmail account specifically for backup, but I use my mail.com special domain email on my resume and job applications.

Old 11-11-2018, 08:58 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,045,846 times
I would never reject an application for using an old-fashioned domain, although I do find it slightly odd that there are a few people still using .aol addresses.

Bobsell does make some excellent points though. Your email address, because it is something within your control, does give people an impression of you. Your email prefix should be some variant of your name, and the domain should not be your current work address. That says you are doing inappropriate things on company time or resources.

I use two different email addresses, depending on the purpose. For most things I use fish.brains@gmail.com, but for my side consulting gigs I use fish.brains@fishbrains.com. It doesn’t cost much to register your own domain and it gives a professional appearance.

Think of your email address like wearing a tie to an interview. It won’t make or break your application, but it will contribute to the employers overall impression of you.

Old 11-11-2018, 12:13 PM

2,702 posts, read 2,765,228 times
I use my first and last name @gmail.com.

Old 11-11-2018, 12:18 PM

602 posts, read 505,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deposite View Post
I use my first and last name @gmail.com.
Some people, especially those with common full names, can't get an email like that unless additional characters are used (already taken in some cases a long time ago by someone else with the name). Nonetheless, unprofessional handles are best avoided with an email address used for job searching.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search