U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2018, 10:30 PM

15,024 posts, read 21,736,236 times

Advertisements

Krmb if they are making you worse have your doctor change your medicine. Something else may work better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2018, 04:58 AM

4,367 posts, read 3,550,496 times
Yeah. It's just annoying to not always be able to control my own thoughts. That's all. I can function when I'm like this, but it causes me to have anxiety attacks and pay in the form of severe stress and worry that can last for months.

Plus, without a good job, I don't have access to health insurance, and that's probably influencing my decision on whether or not to see the doctor.

Old 12-07-2018, 11:40 AM

2,063 posts, read 598,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krmb View Post
These "shutdowns" are real. There are times where I can't even talk to people, like at all. Luckily, though, somehow my boss has never caught me having an episode. I guess it's amazing I've lasted this long. Because of all of this, I don't really feel like going back to work, but since I haven't been declared eligible for disability benefits, I suppose I will have to. I never imagined it could get this bad until I was dealing with it. I'm not sure anti-depressants are to blame or not, but I have been taking medication in attempt to "control" these symptoms. I hate how treatments for this kind of stuff are so hit-or-miss. I can almost promise you that some of this stuff makes me feel worse, not better.
You need to be more open and honest about this condition and apply to companies that are disability friendly. Many F500s have programs for individuals such as yourself.

Old 12-10-2018, 12:32 AM

38 posts, read 16,054 times
I think I know you from one of the autism forums; your writing style and story sound so familiar. I'm sorry you couldn't make it in teaching. Our stories are so similar -- I also tried to make it into the field, and I have two partial Master's degrees, but even substitute teacher aide work had too many ups and downs for me due to social challenges. Right now, I've gone back to direct care, assisting individuals with disabilities in their homes. You can get insurance through some companies in this line of work, so that could help you. It doesn't pay as well as full-time teaching, but it pays about as well as subbing, and sometimes better because there's high turnover and it's not unusual to work overtime if you're open to that. I chose the night shift because there's less social interaction. I've actually been in the line of work before, and it can be unpredictable, but do your research and try to find the companies with the best ratings. There are some good direct care companies out there; I've had some successes in the field. Hopefully this can be a viable option for you.

Old 12-13-2018, 12:15 AM

Well, the latest development is I was told that they are going to try to give me "job placement assistance," which sounds good. The bad news is it isn't until January. I was also told I could probably qualify for benefits. My question is what benefits? Here in Texas, I would need to be elderly or permanently disabled to qualify for what I'm thinking about. My dad told me I should try to get on disability or SSI benefits, but I'm almost positive I won't be able to qualify. i can work; I just might need some help staying organized and on-task, and I need to be in an environment where my coworkers are understanding and don't take everything I say / do to them personally. Of course I'm not trying to make my supervisors or senior coworkers angry and lose my job, but if you've ever worked before, you know that whatever the person with the most power says is considered "right," and everyone else just plays along.

Old 12-13-2018, 10:30 AM

15,024 posts, read 21,736,236 times
You need to ask them what the benifits are, we would have no idea.

Old 12-13-2018, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
You need to ask them what the benifits are, we would have no idea.
She made it sound like it was disability benefits, but like I said, I'm pretty sure I'm not eligible for those because my understanding is you have to be completely disabled and unable to work to qualify. Yeah, some days I may fit that criteria but most of the time I'm physically and mentally capable of holding down a job. Assistance might be required, but that's about it.

Old 12-16-2018, 08:46 PM

2,000 posts, read 1,188,969 times
May I offer a general employment tip? I think I can safely say that this is true across many if not most fields out there.

There will be many coworkers that actually want to help you. But few will have the time to help you outside of giving you quick tips. In this economy, and unfortunately its the world that we live in today, people don't even have the time to do their own jobs.

I get the feeling from reading your posts that what you consider to be 'help' and what most people at the job will consider to be 'help' are wildly different.

Old 12-17-2018, 01:43 PM

2,063 posts, read 598,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dysgenic View Post
May I offer a general employment tip? I think I can safely say that this is true across many if not most fields out there.

There will be many coworkers that actually want to help you. But few will have the time to help you outside of giving you quick tips. In this economy, and unfortunately its the world that we live in today, people don't even have the time to do their own jobs.

I get the feeling from reading your posts that what you consider to be 'help' and what most people at the job will consider to be 'help' are wildly different.
It's not what HE considers to be help. It's what's already well understood in the autism research medical and education community (the latter of which was ironically the industry he was in) that those on the spectrum require extra clarification. If the employer is not providing that (which I believe is a reasonable and not onerous request) then they are in violation of federal law depending on the company size. The larger the company, the higher the standard and accommodation required.

Old 12-17-2018, 03:21 PM

8,976 posts, read 8,104,989 times
I have a grandson with the same problems. You will not be a able to hold down a teaching position, as you when under stress, have a hard time handling things. You need the ability to make a lesson plan, but you found that impossible to do.

You need to do as so many I have known had to do, and that is to go down to the services your dad said you should use, and let them lead you into where you go from here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or