U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2018, 05:59 AM

4,367 posts, read 3,556,691 times

Advertisements

Yeah, I know life is hard, and some of you might want to lecture me for quitting my teaching job, but I felt really confused. The principal already noticed I wasn't doing a good job anyway and put me on a "growth plan," and I really didn't feel like having a non-renewal on my record my first year of teaching, so I thought it was a better move than getting non-renewed and possibly not being able to find another teaching job.

I'm really trying to be honest with myself this time, though. I have problems that i think need to be addressed concerning finding and keeping work. I signed up for help with vocational rehabilitation services in the area, took a few competency tests, but I still haven't found a job placement. I'm thinking about re-applying as a teacher, but does anyone have any ideas on how I can spin all of these negatives into positives during a job interview?

Negatives:

I couldn't follow the curriculum guide because I didn't know where to find it / how it worked. (I did my student teaching at schools that used pacing guides, and the youth center where I worked used a scripted curriculum). It never really occurred to me to ask someone for more details about this, as I just assumed it was something they expected me to pick up on my own, but the few people I did ask were confused why I didn't get sufficient training on this. It never occurred to me that was a hint to go ask someone for help, though. I just expected someone to eventually notice and fix the problem.

I had terrible classroom management, because I didn't really have a system for keeping the kids in line. A few older teachers tried to help with that, but I was so stuck on trying to figure out how to plan and deliver good lessons (which I never succeeded at by the way) that I more or less ignored their advice because I didn't understand what they were trying to tell me, and I thought they were just trying to be polite? I didn't want to get on anyone's bad side, admit that I didn't know what I was doing, and maybe have someone laugh in my face or start treating me poorly.

Yes, typing this out and actually reading it, I, too, think I was being a bit of a dunce, but I wasn't really sure what to do. I felt like my coworkers assumed me to be the expert, and I didn't want to go against that and admit that I thought I was more or less incompetent on the job. I mean, I finished teacher training and worked as a tutor for a number of years, so I'm pretty sure they expected more of me than what i was able to show them.

I also can't seem to get people to understand that people with an ASD usually have a hard time finding and keeping work because we have severe communication difficulties at times, but they're subtle enough to miss if you don't know you're interacting with an autistic person, and I imagine I rub a lot of coworkers the wrong way without realizing it. Social interactions are fairly uncomfortable for me because of this, and I prefer to limit them unless they are absolutely necessary.

I know, I really should have done my research before choosing to earn a teaching degree. I thought interacting with people was something that would come with time and practice and assumed that the reason I hadn't found a job with a bachelor's degree was because of the poor job market. I didn't get my ASD diagnosis until I was close to graduating with my masters, and there really wasn't much I could do about it at that time except try to make the best of it.

TL;DR?

I feel like my poor performance on the job is perhaps directly or indirectly related to a mild disability I have. I'm currently registered with the local vocational rehabilitation program and have been in touch with one of their counselors. So far, though, not much seems to have been done concerning finding me a job placement. I want to know (a) whom should I speak with about these issues that could impact my ability to successfully find and keep employment and (b) how should I phrase all of this to a future potential employer? You may think pursuing another teaching position is stupid after all of this, but the way I see it, it's the thing I'm most qualified for because it's the thing I went to school for.

If you would recommend I share these concerns with the vocational rehab counselor first, how do you think I should phrase all of this so that they really understand what's going on?

Last edited by krmb; 11-27-2018 at 06:26 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2018, 06:02 AM

15,034 posts, read 21,767,703 times
Sorry you are going through this. You know teaching wasn't for you. Use the vocational services to help you find you a new job.

Old 11-27-2018, 06:49 AM

9,792 posts, read 17,010,948 times
I applaud you for quitting your teaching job; you have no business being in a classroom. Does your county also have a "Disability" office in their social service network?

Old 11-27-2018, 06:57 AM

5,478 posts, read 2,360,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
Sorry you are going through this. You know teaching wasn't for you. Use the vocational services to help you find you a new job.
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
I applaud you for quitting your teaching job; you have no business being in a classroom. Does your county also have a "Disability" office in their social service network?
Agree.

Old 11-27-2018, 10:12 AM

The issue now, though, is I feel like vocational rehab is "dragging their heels" and not really providing me help in a timely fashion. I've applied for unemployment. I don't know if I'm going to get it. I've gone for vocational training and taken a few tests, I'm not sure what's going on and why it's taking so long.

I failed from sheer lack of experience and problems communicating with my coworkers and boss, but I doubt it looked that way to my boss and coworkers. I suspect they expected me to know a whole lot more, or at least to be able to express what I didn't know in a better way, than I did. I felt like a fraud the whole time i was there, but why? I passed all of my tests.

I will agree that, as it stands, I had no business in that classroom because no one trained me on what to do, but from what I've heard from other teachers, it's normal for teacher training and education programs not to fill in all of the gaps, and it was my responsibility to seek additional training from my principal, but when I asked, I just got put on that "growth plan;" they clearly thought hiring me was a mistake.

...or maybe they weren't equipped to deal with my communication problems? I'm not sure. I tried to explain all of this--not really being sure how to plan lessons or communicate well with people--before they hired me. The people who hired me seemed fairly sure I would catch on and my concerns weren't really something to worry about. When I started working, though, I quickly discovered help just wasn't available, at least not in an acceptable form. A lot of people who tried to be so helpful in the beginning quickly adopted the attitudes expressed on this thread.

It's actually pretty frustrating. I can attend training and pass tests, but I can't really apply what i learn and wonder if I even learned anything to begin with...

I'm also a bit perplexed as to why, since whatever my problem is seems to have such a great impact on my life--can't hold down a job, can't easily make friends, can't even explain what's wrong, get frustrated and confused when looking for help, resort to going to school, etc---I still have so much trouble finding help. When I lived in Alabama, I didn't even find support for ASD, but I could always find some low level work at inner city schools. Here, in Texas, I haven't even been offered low level work, but they at least understand that I have a disability and did qualify me for job training, but what else? Why has it taken so long for someone to come up with a concrete plan for me, and should I bring it their attention that I feel like they are kind of ignoring me?

Last edited by krmb; 11-27-2018 at 10:35 AM..

Old 11-27-2018, 11:45 AM

9,792 posts, read 17,010,948 times
It is reasonable to ask about their plans and timeline for you.

Old 11-27-2018, 12:32 PM

I called them again today and was transferred to one of the counselors. She wasn't in, so I left another message. I did the same thing yesterday.

Old 11-27-2018, 06:34 PM

2,465 posts, read 703,112 times
Quote:
I thought it was a better move than getting non-renewed and possibly not being able to find another teaching job.
Getting non-renewed is equivalent to layoff, which is superior to quitting.

Employers discriminate against those who are out of work, and you're now behind the laid off people in line to get new jobs.

Old 11-27-2018, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsell View Post
Getting non-renewed is equivalent to layoff, which is superior to quitting.

Employers discriminate against those who are out of work, and you're now behind the laid off people in line to get new jobs.
I thought non-renewal was equivalent to being fired, not getting laid off. They even ask about it during teaching interviews. I got the idea it was an automatic red flag. Besides, it's not like I quit in the middle of the year or anything. I just resigned after that year. I would think that would be about the same, since people resign from work for various reasons.

Old 11-28-2018, 01:22 AM

2,078 posts, read 605,530 times
I wouldn't necessarily blame your experience on ASD. The fact remains the education field is rife with political land mines and is next to impossible for the "average" person to navigate. I was just watching a TED talk where a guy said 50% of people leave teaching within 5 years. Yep 1 out of every 2 people are not teaching after 5 years.

Our system and society is deeply dysfunctional and illogical. As someone with no formal ASD diagnosis I many times do feel I can relate to those with one in their perceptions. I wish I had some advice but "average" people are having a hard time in this "good economy".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or