U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2018, 04:15 PM

1,580 posts, read 822,717 times

Advertisements

Can a potential employer view a job that was omitted from your resume when they do a level 2 background check or any other pre-employment check? I know they can view criminal records and credit scores (for which I have no concern), but what about a past employer (recent, within the past few years)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2018, 07:38 PM

2,404 posts, read 683,329 times
Every employer who hires W2 employees pays unemployment taxes, so they report peoples' wages to the state. The background checkers see this information. So yeah, they'll see your employment.

Maybe if you worked for a small employer, who didn't file the paperwork, or worked on a 1099 basis, then they may not see it.

Old 11-30-2018, 04:51 AM

Ok, thank you. Yeah, all of my employers have been fairly large, so I guess my work history is a fish bowl, visible to all.

Old 11-30-2018, 05:15 AM

4,646 posts, read 2,286,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsell View Post
Every employer who hires W2 employees pays unemployment taxes, so they report peoples' wages to the state. The background checkers see this information. So yeah, they'll see your employment.

Maybe if you worked for a small employer, who didn't file the paperwork, or worked on a 1099 basis, then they may not see it.
What about if you signed an offer letter and then backed out and declined before actually starting the job? Will that still show up on a background check?

Old 11-30-2018, 09:37 AM

9,778 posts, read 16,962,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsthetime View Post
What about if you signed an offer letter and then backed out and declined before actually starting the job? Will that still show up on a background check?
No. Someone has to dig really deep to find something like that, and most jobs aren't worth that kind of investment.

Old 11-30-2018, 07:39 PM

2,404 posts, read 683,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsthetime View Post
That is not likely to show up.

Old 11-30-2018, 08:50 PM

Quote:
That is not likely to show up.
I have done, that, too - backed out after an offer letter. But since they do BRC's prior to offer letters, I would think it would show up?

Old 12-01-2018, 12:20 PM

1,541 posts, read 399,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeko156 View Post
Can a potential employer view a job that was omitted from your resume when they do a level 2 background check or any other pre-employment check? I know they can view criminal records and credit scores (for which I have no concern), but what about a past employer (recent, within the past few years)?
I wouldn't be concerned about this. Your resume should be tailored to the specific job you are applying for. If you had a successful IT career for example, but you worked at a sandwich shop for 3 months 5 years ago between jobs, you can leave it off. You only put on your resume what is to your credit that pertains to the job you are applying for. That's all HR and the hiring manager really care about. You ever hear the advice about leaving off anything 10 or 15 years old off your resume? That's considered OK, cause you don't include a 30 year work history unless those things are to your credit that pertain to the job you are applying for.

If in doing a background check it shows you worked at a sandwich shop for 3 months 5 years ago, it is highly doubtful this is going to be sent as an alert to the hiring manager to somehow reject you or put you into question about your honesty.

But if you were applying for a corporate IT job with a fast-food nationwide franchise, it could be to your benefit to mention you worked in a sandwich job for 3 months once, that you may have a better understanding of their business needs than those that didn't.

If you are providing specific information for a background check, such as a government clearance, then you provide all the information as truthfully and as accurately as you can. And this will be a form with information that has you list all the dates of where you lived, if/when you left the country, places you worked, etc.

There is a huge difference between applying for a job that is going to do a background check and if you are part of a legal proceeding where everything is fully examined and questioned. Such as a police investigation.

The only thing current employers care about where you worked before is if there is any sort of non-complete or non-disclosure agreements. A friend of mine told me he applied for a job with a huge company, and HR wanted to see a copy of his non-complete and non-disclosure agreement from previous employers before going further with his candidacy to make sure their weren't any conflicts.

Old 12-01-2018, 12:23 PM

1,541 posts, read 399,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeko156 View Post
I have done, that, too - backed out after an offer letter. But since they do BRC's prior to offer letters, I would think it would show up?
Rejecting an offer or not starting a job after accepting an offer is reported nowhere except possibly in that company or organization's HR department's system. And backing out isn't always considered negative on you, there can be many different circumstances why you'd do that. You accept their offer, go to tell your boss giving 2-weeks notice and he says, "If I promoted you to senior manager would you stay?". So you accept the promotion and get back to the other company you won't be taking the job.

Old 12-19-2018, 11:06 PM

9,249 posts, read 11,799,248 times
Quote:

Correction: 20 CFR 603.4 makes it a violation of federal law to disclose unemployment compensation information to anyone outside an approved government need. Private entities can not see who received unemployment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or