U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2018, 04:14 PM

112 posts, read 28,056 times

Advertisements

I'm 28 yrs.old and I've only worked at jobs that pay $14.00/hr.How can I find entry jobs that pay more? I'm trying to save enough money to move out but I feel trapped because car payments and school I can't save enough money and plus I'm unemployed right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2018, 05:30 PM

9,778 posts, read 16,966,691 times
You've gone from $20 an hour to $18 an hour. As a posted in your last thread, do you have a skill set and/or education that supports a $20.00 an hour job? FYI, a lot of people can't find high paying jobs.

Old 12-04-2018, 08:11 PM

7,092 posts, read 2,905,107 times
Without having the slightest bit of information about you, what you can do or have done I'd say you need to search through job listings in local newspapers, on job boards, through the local employment office.

Old 12-05-2018, 04:43 AM

12,351 posts, read 7,501,291 times
Raw, unskilled labor is like any other commodity; it has a "market" price at which to which ambitious. motivated people are attracted, and at which the complaining stops (We're talking a couple of bucks above the "burger flipper" / motel housekeeper / counter help level here -- things like picking orders or packing them in an Amazon center or similar location,)

Wages for that sort of work around where I live (Northeastern Pennsylvania) are about $15.00 per hour. These jobs are fairly demanding physically (an order picker walks about 20 miles in a 10-hour shift, but most people can handle these, even well into middle age). The really strenuous stuff calls for what have come to be called "industrial athletes" -- people who probably played sports in high school or college. It might pay more, but you'll have to earn it, and it won't last too long.

Once you've proven yourself in this role, you can try for something better; but unless you have a specific skill, it will probably involve supervising other people, and all the responsibility (and extra headaches) that go with it. Beyond entry level, the "soft" jobs are fewer and further between at each step up,

If you're trying to save up for your own place, "part" less and be prepared to work some overtime; should be plentiful with a healthy economy at this time of year. but beyond that, as Margaret Thatcher used to say to the British unionists, "Lower your expectations.'

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 12-05-2018 at 04:53 AM..

Old 12-06-2018, 02:18 PM

1,627 posts, read 746,397 times
Since you're unemployed right now, go apply for a seasonal job with UPS. That may or may not be as a helper on a truck. With seasonal work this time of year, there's also an opportunity for overtime.

Sometimes you can parlay a seasonal job into a regular position though you probably would start out part time. Sticking around and putting in the effort can truly pay off over time: It has for my son.

You're likely to be able to earn some money AND have time to job hunt for another job you might prefer.

Old 12-06-2018, 03:48 PM

112 posts, read 28,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatzPaw View Post
Since you're unemployed right now, go apply for a seasonal job with UPS. That may or may not be as a helper on a truck. With seasonal work this time of year, there's also an opportunity for overtime.

Sometimes you can parlay a seasonal job into a regular position though you probably would start out part time. Sticking around and putting in the effort can truly pay off over time: It has for my son.

You're likely to be able to earn some money AND have time to job hunt for another job you might prefer.

I'm 28 yrs.old so I should be making $20+ by now. $15.00 is not going to help with anything like pay for my school or car notes. I don't have any set skills, nor do I have any connections

Old 12-06-2018, 07:57 PM

9,778 posts, read 16,966,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzureKite View Post
I'm 28 yrs.old so I should be making $20+ by now. $15.00 is not going to help with anything like pay for my school or car notes. I don't have any set skills, nor do I have any connections
You are 100% wrong. Education and skill set drives wages -- not your age. There are people twice your age making $10 an hour because that is the wage of their skill set. No one owes you $20 an hour, and you've done nothing to earn $20 an hour.

Old 12-06-2018, 08:00 PM

2,410 posts, read 684,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzureKite View Post
I'm 28 yrs.old so I should be making $20+ by now.
Why? What skills and experience do you have that is worth $20/hour or more?

Old 12-07-2018, 06:46 AM

111 posts, read 44,812 times
Have you considered UPS? You have to start at the bottom (like everywhere else) but it's sometimes a good fit for college students. Just perusing their website I see an astounding number of openings in the Houston area. I did this during college and it was nice to have a regular schedule and full health benefits too. After a few years I was eligible for a driver slot and was making 70K* as a 22 year old. I think it's pretty good pay for a high school education.

I have a kid your age and he did this too right after high school, starting as a loader on the 2am shift. It is very, very hard work and about half the new hires don't last the first week. But he stuck with it and gradually worked his way up through the various jobs, through sorter and eventually to supervisor. He was making pretty good money by then and still only had to work 4 hours a night. (His hire number came up too, but he decided not to be a driver and continued his training for another career)

I don't know if they still offer this, but 8 years ago my kiddo had his own health benefits, vacation and was socking some away in his 401K. At 28 you can't be on any parent's insurance (that I'm aware of) so the benefits would be a nice addition too.

Best of luck to you. I don't know of any jobs that don't make you start at "the bottom" for awhile. But the time's going to pass anyway, so might as well be working your way up at a job like this. IIRC, it took my eldest about 3 years to get to supervisor.

*adjusted for inflation

Old 12-08-2018, 12:01 PM

2,410 posts, read 684,967 times
UPS is good, so is FedEx and DHL. They also have everyone start as package handlers. The work is hard, you'll be tired, but you do have a chance to move up. If you're not afraid of hard, manual labor, this is a good place to go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search