Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2018, 03:10 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,507,892 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriank7 View Post
How does it not match up? I have 20 years working with customers and sales.
You may have had jobs for the past 20 years but your resume does not indicate 20 years of true experience in any one area.

Everyone works with customers, whether internal or external. Were you selling? Order processing isn't sales.

I don't think anyone reading your resume would think you have 20 years experience in anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2018, 04:36 PM

12,847 posts, read 9,055,079 times
I won't repeat what's already been said, but what kind of job(s) are you looking for? This reads like you are applying for an admin assistant type job. Even the various buying jobs read more like a clerk level position than a buyer, contracts manager, or related job. We could probably give better advice on how to rewrite it to emphasize the critical skills if we knew what type and level of position you are looking for.

Old 12-20-2018, 10:19 AM

538 posts, read 385,920 times
The info I have listed is exactly what I have done. Entered orders and quotes, fix sales rep errors. Worked in different data entry systems.

Old 12-20-2018, 12:21 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,378,508 times
Quote:
Should I add the classes I took in college? There were only 3.
I would leave it off honestly b/c then they may ask why you didn't finish and it could seem like you don't stick with things (hence you won't stick with the job)

May I ask why you didn't graduate college?

Old 12-20-2018, 12:22 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,378,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post
You can't hide your age. Hiding anything on a resume looks shady. My daughter is in her 40's and does well on job intervews. It's all about how you present yourself at the interview, your personality, your honesty. I don't think age discrimination is what it was in the past. Employers are realizing older workers have as much to offer as younger ones.
Age discrimination is real.

It's not so much age solely, it's the fact that older people are generally more experienced, hence wanting more $$ and companies are cheap and want the people they can pay bupkis.

This is why older people are discriminated against.

Old 12-20-2018, 12:57 PM

538 posts, read 385,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
I would leave it off honestly b/c then they may ask why you didn't finish and it could seem like you don't stick with things (hence you won't stick with the job)

May I ask why you didn't graduate college?
Because at the time I was undecided. That was over 20 years ago though. I needed to work and I did since I was 18. My friend has a masters degree and can’t handle the work I do. She has been fired from 3 different companies and can’t find a job in her field which is education. So a degree while shows more ambition, doesn’t make you smarter. One of her reviews said she asked too many questions and didn’t do her own research for example she had and email on something and said she didn’t remember she had it....I told her you have to do a search in your emails with keywords etc....before you ask a question because you might already have the info, and never tell anyone you didn’t remember you had the email. She thought my advise was wrong.

Old 12-20-2018, 08:16 PM

23,297 posts, read 18,837,889 times
Quote:
So a degree while shows more ambition, doesn’t make you smarter.
A degree demonstrates that you can set a pretty significant goal and achieve it. That you can persevere and put yourself through a lot of stuff you may not think has much value in order to get it. That you are willing to sacrifice or give other less important things up for it (like money and time). Of course a degree doesn't make you smarter, but it does teach you how to work smarter, take on challenges, stick to something, keep your eye on the prize. If you have a goal, you have ambition. If you don't have a goal you can just drift as circumstance takes you and not think about the future. Then before you realize it, you are there and stuck regretting the past.

Old 12-21-2018, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Age discrimination is real.

It's not so much age solely, it's the fact that older people are generally more experienced, hence wanting more $$ and companies are cheap and want the people they can pay bupkis.

This is why older people are discriminated against.
None of that has anything to do with the OP.

Old 12-21-2018, 07:38 PM

5,317 posts, read 3,227,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
None of that has anything to do with the OP.
It does, since part of the discussion for the OP is about age discrimination. OP was recommended not to put dates on degree due to age discrimination.

Old 12-22-2018, 03:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsell View Post
It does, since part of the discussion for the OP is about age discrimination. OP was recommended not to put dates on degree due to age discrimination.
Looking at the resume, do you really think dates and ages are the real reasons the OP isn't getting responses?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search