U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2018, 10:34 PM

2 posts, read 517 times

Advertisements

Got a dilemma here, should I omit a 4 job switch during my 8 years in my current company(aka A)?

Here is the situation

I was working for 'Company A”, after 2 years working there (with great reviews), I left 'Company A” for 'Company B” to a different role. After 4 months into their 6 months probation in Company B, I was let go. I asked them for a reference letter, in the letter they said I did a good job with would recommend me for future employers and no mention of the reason for my departure. Not short after the departure of Company B, My old company A contacted me back if I would work form them, so I went back and 6 years later and I'm still working with them. But if now I'm want to look for a new job, and concern in explaining about this job switch. So the dilemma, should I omit this job switch or not?

In my resume should I just say I worked for Company A for 8 years and omit gap this 6 months job switch? I mean 8 years is a long time and not sure bringing this 4-6 month to switch into the light will cost more issue&confusion and if anyone really care, not to mention that the role in CompanyB is irrelevant to what I'm applying for right now.
However, most likely potential employers will call my HR to check my start/end date which might not match up with my resume if I choose to omit, if that is the case, is maybe then I can explain to them only when they bring it to my attention" saying that I thought it wasn't a big deal to mention this 6months gap from my 8 years in the company, which I believe is not a big deal anyway?

and if I do not omit it, probably it cost more confusion and issue as I seems quite hard to explain, I probably will lost confident and end up messing up the interviews altogether.. maybe I can say "at the end, didn't work out and it was mutual departure? ) or any other suggestion?

maybe I'm overthinking it? or maybe I'm just not understanding the potential issue of omitting work exp to properly evaluate the risk & issue here...

any advise will be great here
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2018, 04:44 AM

28,555 posts, read 62,318,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by showmanshow232 View Post
....should I omit a job switch during my 8 years in my current company?
Nope. Just don't feel you need to write a novel about it.

Quote:
...any other suggestion?
One sentence; maybe two. No more. Be accurate.
If THEY care or are just curious... they'll ask for more.

Old 12-13-2018, 07:40 PM

2,477 posts, read 708,263 times
If you leave a 4+month hole in your resume, they will ask questions.

Put the short term job in there.

Employers think more negatively of someone who is out of work than someone who was working.

Old 12-14-2018, 02:20 PM

11,179 posts, read 8,575,060 times
Did company A allow you to retain all of your tenure? If they did that, I would omit company B.

Old 12-14-2018, 06:14 PM

2,078 posts, read 607,501 times
On the fence about this one. It depends on how anal the new prospective employer would be.

Old 12-14-2018, 08:09 PM

3,808 posts, read 1,392,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsell View Post
If you leave a 4+month hole in your resume, they will ask questions.

Put the short term job in there.

Employers think more negatively of someone who is out of work than someone who was working.
Do you think employers will still care if the OP current job is 5 years or more? I mean why question someone about a gap if they been employed for 5 or more years?

Old 12-15-2018, 10:26 AM

9,801 posts, read 17,022,335 times
I wouldn't even mention it. A resume is not a history of every job you've ever held.

Old 12-15-2018, 12:29 PM

1,571 posts, read 408,247 times
Quote:
In my resume should I just say I worked for Company A for 8 years and omit gap this 6 months job switch? I mean 8 years is a long time and not sure bringing this 4-6 month to switch into the light will cost more issue&confusion and if anyone really care, not to mention that the role in CompanyB is irrelevant to what I'm applying for right now.
However, most likely potential employers will call my HR to check my start/end date which might not match up with my resume if I choose to omit, if that is the case, is maybe then I can explain to them only when they bring it to my attention" saying that I thought it wasn't a big deal to mention this 6months gap from my 8 years in the company, which I believe is not a big deal anyway?
If Company B is irrelevant to the position you are applying for, then leave it off. Just list Company A that you've been there 8 years.

This is how a background checks work. They are done by a third-party company hired by the employer to do the whole thing. If there is anything that is different than what you filled out on a job application for HR that needs further clarification or correction, they will contact you. As for the resume, it isn't transcription of every single place you have worked, it is a sales tool for you. So you only list on the resume what makes sense for the specific job you are applying for. If experience at Company B would greatly help you at the job you are applying for, then you want to devote part of your resume to it. But since it isn't leave it off.

If HR from your employer reports dates of employment of start/end and start/end again, they are likely going to think worst case, is they had a layoff and called you back to work there again. Going back to work for the same employer after having left for any reason is a very strong endorsement that your current employer really likes you and has no problem with you at all. 8 years is a long time these days, so leave it at that.

Going into details to explain about a 4-6 month gap in the middle of that isn't of interest to anyone. I seriously doubt if you were contacted about it during the background check your explanation would go against you. If contacted, you simply say that you left the company briefly to work elsewhere and then were hired back, and you didn't list it because the job you did there isn't relevant to the job you are applying for or your long-term career.

That's it. Now...if this is a government job, then you list every single possible place you worked, because they will check that, but highly doubtful they would hold it against you. Again, the same company hired you back so that says a lot.

4-6 months isn't a long time either, when you consider Family Leave is 3 months.

And people have all sorts of reasons why they left a company and then returned. They could have left to help out with a family business, and then returned.

Old 12-15-2018, 08:50 PM

2 posts, read 517 times
Thanks everyone and rummage for the detailed the explanation and suggestion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rummage View Post
Going into details to explain about a 4-6 month gap in the middle of that isn't of interest to anyone. I seriously doubt if you were contacted about it during the background check your explanation would go against you. If contacted, you simply say that you left the company briefly to work elsewhere and then were hired back, and you didn't list it because the job you did there isn't relevant to the job you are applying for or your long-term career.

I thought about just listing 8 years for Company A and omitting the gap.. definitely look cleaner and simpler to explain, but what concerning here is that when they contact my HR, they'll for sure tell them my start/end date with this gap and it'll not match my resume. If I'm the interviewer , it'll definitively raise my suspicion. I mean, why try hide this "gap" regardless is irrelevant or not, I would think something fishy going on that need further investigation or just throw out my resume altogether. I think some companies might think dishonest&hiding cost more harm than trying to explain a false start of a short the job... so I guess this is my dilemma , this short gap will be bad ether way... list or not.. just wondering which will cost less harm.

Sorry but I also forgot to mention, I did got a good reference letter from Company "B" during their 4 months probation. They did said " I did a good job and they recommend for future employee" not sure that will help support the option of not omitting it.

Once again, thank you everyone advises here.

Old 12-15-2018, 11:01 PM

1,571 posts, read 408,247 times
Quote:
Thanks everyone and rummage for the detailed the explanation and suggestion.

I thought about just listing 8 years for Company A and omitting the gap.. definitely look cleaner and simpler to explain, but what concerning here is that when they contact my HR, they'll for sure tell them my start/end date with this gap and it'll not match my resume. If I'm the interviewer , it'll definitively raise my suspicion. I mean, why try hide this "gap" regardless is irrelevant or not, I would think something fishy going on that need further investigation or just throw out my resume altogether. I think some companies might think dishonest&hiding cost more harm than trying to explain a false start of a short the job... so I guess this is my dilemma , this short gap will be bad ether way... list or not.. just wondering which will cost less harm.

Sorry but I also forgot to mention, I did got a good reference letter from Company "B" during their 4 months probation. They did said " I did a good job and they recommend for future employee" not sure that will help support the option of not omitting it.

Once again, thank you everyone advises here.
The reason to omit it, is to make it easier for them and not confuse them. Personally I would leave it off. But I have to tell you, if this is going to bother you, this is what you can do...

As part of the application process, did you actually fill out a background check form giving them permission to contact previous employers to verify dates? Usually on those forms it instructions how many years it will go back. Then you list each employer with their contact information and dates of employment. That's the information they use for actual background checks done by those 3rd-parties. The 3rd-party company comes back and says "verified" to the prospective employer, that's it. The hiring manager wouldn't have a reason to see this, just HR.

Your resume is entirely different. If you really think it will hurt you, to show you worked there for 4 months, leave it off the resume but put it on the background check.

If the only way for you to sleep at nights is to list it also on the resume, format the resume giving as little space to the 4 month job as possible. Don't go into a big explanation about the job or why you took it or left. Cause there can be a whole bunch of legit reasons why you took that job. Give all the space to Company A, and don't mention you returned to the company in the description or why, just list what you did there and accomplishments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search