Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2018, 04:05 PM

1,765 posts, read 4,348,256 times

Advertisements

I am in a job search...preferably part-time but for UI purposes have to pursue full time jobs. I am of retirement age so I am a tad slower on the learning curve for anything, I have found. e.g. About 15 years ago I took a 3-day course in InDesign...I was the oldest there. The 20somethings finished the project and were out the door for lunch. I had to spend most of lunch break on the project...I DID finish, but it just took me longer.

Many jobs I look at want "proficient use of microsoft Office products, including Outlook, Word, Excel and Powerpoint."

I am not "proficient" by their yardstick, I'm sure. I probably am okay in Outlook --use it at home -- but don't do anything fancy in Word other than type text and can boldface or underline...I know virtually no Excel other than the AutoSum key 0r making a column wider...and have never have had to use Powerpoint. though I am told it's not hard to learn?

I HATE learning software but I guess I should put my unemployed time to some use and get better at Office.

So...where is the best use of my time? YouTube videos? Microsoft website? GCLearnFree or whatever that site is... other?

Appreciate any input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2018, 06:17 PM

5,317 posts, read 3,225,838 times
When I see "proficient" that is very vague.

For example, to be "proficient" in excel, does that mean you can open, edit and make changes to a spreadsheet? Or do you have to know how to write macros and do vlookups?

To be proficient in Word, does that mean one is able to put together a decent looking paper, or write a properly formatted letter? Or is that about writing macros or other advanced functions?

There are plenty of free courses, you can search for "free microsoft office training online" and find places like https://edu.gcfglobal.org/en/subjects/office/

Old 12-28-2018, 07:37 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,529,606 times
Youtube.

It has everything you need, and then some. All for free.

Old 12-28-2018, 12:12 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,566 posts, read 81,147,605 times
Here there is also a requirement to use Sharepoint, for all employees, and if you HATE learning software, Sharepoint will drive you nuts. What you need and how expert depends on the job. I have 5 people of which only two need to know Excel to the level of macros and pivot tables. I have 3 that require expert skills with Word, including styles, change tracking and forms. They also use Adobe Acrobat. We rarely use Powerpoint and then only for simple presentations. In our accounting department everyone, including Admins must be skilled at using Peoplesoft Financials.

Old 12-31-2018, 06:17 AM

669 posts, read 581,979 times
I did one of those “assessments” on indeed.com. I learned that I “completed” the modules...but I did not earn “familiar” status on Excel. It was an eye opener regarding how much I did not know how to do on Excel. Interesting that I did better on the internet modules...lol! ( mostly guessed on those answers! )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search