U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2018, 07:18 AM

4,367 posts, read 3,549,717 times

Advertisements

I've been unemployed since August, well really since the summer, but the summer does not count for teachers anyway. I saved enough money while I was teaching to take care of a few months of expenses, but now I'm getting to where I need to find some form of income.

I've registered with vocational rehabilitation services, but my guess is they don't have enough resources to help everyone who applies. I was told that I might be able to get job assistance help in January. It was recommended that I maybe even try to apply for benefits until then. I don't know what benefits the employment assistance counselor was talking about (to my knowledge there's social security--which I would have to be much older to apply for and there's disability--which, although I do have a mild disability, I doubt I could prove that it keeps me from being able to work because then why would I be getting help from vocational rehabilitation services?)

I'm wondering if I should just keep going to the employment office anyway on the off chance I will find some kind of part time work, even though I'm pretty sure I won't be able to perform the job well without some form of assistance. I get distracted too easily and have trouble focusing under stress, to the point that I can't easily perform most jobs. To qualify for disability, though, I'm getting the impression I would have to be almost dead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2018, 07:35 AM

35,324 posts, read 25,165,179 times
You're a teacher? What do you need vocational rehabilitation services for?

Presumably you have a degree, and a license, to teach. At least a degree which will be adequate for any number of admin jobs if you can't find a teaching gig.

Old 12-13-2018, 07:44 AM

12,351 posts, read 7,505,330 times
It's a bit late for this year, but there are lots of places involved in distribution / warehousing which "ramp up" in anticipation of the Holidays.

Amazon is one of the best (clothiers like American Eagle also seem to be a good fit -- no pun intended); the pace is fairly fast, but not all the jobs require that much strength or stamina, and particular skills, which can help match specific individuals to specific roles, can be identified. As a teacher, you probably understand this, and might make a good supervisor if you decide to stay. Best of luck!

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 12-13-2018 at 08:18 AM..

Old 12-13-2018, 07:51 AM

4,367 posts, read 3,549,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
You're a teacher? What do you need vocational rehabilitation services for?

Presumably you have a degree, and a license, to teach. At least a degree which will be adequate for any number of admin jobs if you can't find a teaching gig.
I have ASD; it affects me in ways I'm not really aware of, but one pattern has been an inability to keep work / perform to a satisfactory level at work, resulting in me having disciplinary action, firing, or lay-off threatened, depending on the industry I'm working in. (It's normally because the employer didn't train me on how to properly do the job). This is one of those "invisible disabilities" that's pretty hard to prove to an employer, so I normally leave it off during job interviews.

It came to my attention, though, that this probably wasn't the best strategy when I had to resign from my most recent teaching position due, once again, to job performance issues. It may be that I'm just not a great teacher, but that doesn't account for why I've had trouble holding down certain other jobs that didn't even require a degree. No, at this point I feel like it's disability related.

Last edited by krmb; 12-13-2018 at 08:05 AM..

Old 12-13-2018, 08:18 AM

35,324 posts, read 25,165,179 times
Ok, fair enough. I don't have much advice other than don't expect, or blame, training for positions. I've had, oh, 23-24 years of professional post undergrad employment and almost never received any training, except at an early gig on a proprietary database. It's just not something you can count on.

Old 12-13-2018, 05:15 PM

1,829 posts, read 2,596,763 times
If they are telling to see if you qualify for benefits you need to ask them directly what kind of benefits they are talking about. You need concrete, specific information to survive and this is a good example of the type of question you NEED to ask. As for checking with the unemployment office, why not? What do you have to lose? Itís late in the season but are you willing to do retail work for the holidays? Are you wiling to take a fast food job? No, itís not what youíve been trained for and not in your comfort zone, but if you need money, it is a way to make money. I know someone who was unemployed from a high paying professional job and he worked at Radio Shack (and thatís dating me now!) for Christmas just to make money for his family. You do what you need to if you need to work to live.

I really do hope you get some success with job placement from voc rehab services. Keep asking them questions and follow up on whatever they suggest. Good luck.

Old 12-14-2018, 05:31 PM

5,684 posts, read 5,932,384 times
Temp.

Old 12-16-2018, 01:23 PM

1,627 posts, read 747,341 times
I've said it before and I'll say it again: Look into working for UPS.

Old 12-16-2018, 03:44 PM

28,494 posts, read 62,136,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krmb View Post
Ideas on how to find a "survival" job while I look for work?
You go backward to jobs you've done before.

Maybe even the same company but surely in the same business.
Offer to take over some of the scuttier tasks on a concentrated schedule.
Get paid better than you did when you did it before.

Old 12-16-2018, 04:02 PM

1,810 posts, read 313,614 times
Can you go to a trade school and become an electrician or a mechanic? I can never seem to get either of those very easily, must be a shortage as none can be bothered to work on the weekends or take my calls. You could open your own business and not deal with "finding a job" ever again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search