U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2018, 11:24 AM

614 posts, read 430,937 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
The IT world is being overtaken by the idea of collaboration. Agile methodology advocates for workers to be co-located to facilitate open communication when developing. The model scrum meeting is a group of folks standing in a corner for 15 minutes a day discussing their development work.

Gotta justify the existence of worthless middle management positions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2019, 01:20 PM

4,071 posts, read 2,936,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
The IT world is being overtaken by the idea of collaboration. Agile methodology advocates for workers to be co-located to facilitate open communication when developing. The model scrum meeting is a group of folks standing in a corner for 15 minutes a day discussing their development work.

Big companies like Google and Microsoft aren't on the remote bandwagon. HP was but they've pulled back from remote work in recent years.
So are other industries. Two different companies I've worked for have called people back into the office in the name of "COLLABORATION."

It makes me want to scream.

Old 01-31-2019, 01:40 PM

1,856 posts, read 714,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
So are other industries. Two different companies I've worked for have called people back into the office in the name of "COLLABORATION."

It makes me want to scream.
Collaboration, shmelaboration. That is just an excuse for bringing people back into the office since they are no longer trusted to work from home. It was once more fashionable to allow people to work from home, but now all of a sudden they want people to collaborate. Well then, why was remote work allowed to begin with? And with the march of technology, it is easier than ever to collaborate with people remotely.

Old 01-31-2019, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusinessManIT View Post
Collaboration, shmelaboration. That is just an excuse for bringing people back into the office since they are no longer trusted to work from home. It was once more fashionable to allow people to work from home, but now all of a sudden they want people to collaborate. Well then, why was remote work allowed to begin with? And with the march of technology, it is easier than ever to collaborate with people remotely.
Totally agree. They may as well call it "indirect layoffs" because so many people quit (or will quit) as a result. It's a nefarious way to cut headcount without paying for unemployment benefits, exit packages, etc.

Corporate America is sickening.

Old 02-04-2019, 11:20 AM

23,542 posts, read 17,535,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusinessManIT View Post
I'm a business analyst.

90% of what I do is conducted via emails, Skype, or WebEx meetings. Recalling telecommmuters into the office is just a way to put the workers under the thumb. The technology for effective telecommuting has been in place for over a decade.

Old 02-04-2019, 07:06 PM

2,404 posts, read 684,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I'm a business analyst.

90% of what I do is conducted via emails, Skype, or WebEx meetings. Recalling telecommmuters into the office is just a way to put the workers under the thumb. The technology for effective telecommuting has been in place for over a decade.
And that same technology can and will be used to offshore your job to a third world country, where the pay is a fraction of what you're making.

I'm not surprised companies demand their highly paid employees come into the office. I don't defend it, I think it is just another corrupt double standard (US Citizens no work from home for you! But someone in ThirdWorldistan, can work from home all he wants!)

Old 02-06-2019, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsell View Post
And that same technology can and will be used to offshore your job to a third world country, where the pay is a fraction of what you're making.

I'm not surprised companies demand their highly paid employees come into the office. I don't defend it, I think it is just another corrupt double standard (US Citizens no work from home for you! But someone in ThirdWorldistan, can work from home all he wants!)
Ironically, my company is doing this too - offshoring to India. Even creating a "Company XYZ India". All the talk of how important their employees are, how much of a family we try to be....hogwash. They'll get NOTHING out of me but the bare minimum from now until I retire.

Old 02-06-2019, 07:49 PM

1,856 posts, read 714,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
Ironically, my company is doing this too - offshoring to India. Even creating a "Company XYZ India". All the talk of how important their employees are, how much of a family we try to be....hogwash. They'll get NOTHING out of me but the bare minimum from now until I retire.
It was exactly the same situation for me in my last IT job. My company was offshoring to India in the same manner.

Old 02-08-2019, 10:10 AM

3,377 posts, read 6,592,710 times
I think the truth about offshoring for software development lies somewhere in the middle, and it is a moving target that ebbs and flows with the economy like waves on a beach. In the early 2000's I read "My Job Went to India: 52 Ways to Save Your Job" and promptly freaked out at the impending doom. I live in a major city with several Fortune 500 headquarters, and luckily the ominous prophecy never really happened here. From what I have read, there was backlash at outsourcing due to thing like quality of work and communication barriers due to distance and social customs. So while offshoring still occurs, it isn't as widespread as predicted. And there are still lots of developer job openings all the time here in Texas.

Old 06-02-2019, 09:15 AM

5,936 posts, read 4,666,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
As a Lead developer and now manager in an organization that has a few remote employees, it looks great on paper but doesn't work in reality. The only reason why we have remote employees is because they offer a skill set or niche knowledge base that is difficult to find in all locales (and they are located too far for commute). There is a good reason why many large tech companies that have tried/open to the idea of 100% remote working are now moving away from it.

We do allow part time remote employees... I have been with the company since its inception (I have seniority) and even I have to be in the office to be effective/productive. I only work from home on Fridays or when family obligations require me to be home.

The key here is that you have to be top of your game.... offer something so compelling that a company is willing to work/manage your time as a remote employee. This also means projects that you own on your own with little collaboration. Most people I know at this level of expertise are not interested in full time employment but rather are a corp-to-corp as they've built a business from this skill set.
Telepresence was a big deal in the 90s. Do you see that making a return?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or