U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2018, 09:51 PM

376 posts, read 155,667 times

Advertisements

Any companies you know that offer 100% remote work for software development or related IT work that pays equal to onsite work? Looking for employers that offer remote work not as a benefit but rather as their primary mode of work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2018, 06:28 AM

15,353 posts, read 17,594,081 times
Go to dice dot com. This is a tech only job site. Do an search and check the box for Telecommute.

Also in indeed, do keyword searches on remote (instead of city). Also try "home office" and "telecommute" in indeed.

There are jobs out there that are 100% remote and pay normal market rate, but not as many compared to on-site jobs. So you have to search harder. If your skills are very specialized it might be easier since not as many people to compete against.

As you search and find companie, make notes for yourself which companies have remote jobs. You'll be constantly adding to this list as you find more of them.

Old 12-18-2018, 11:20 AM

Thank you for your reply! Yes I'm familiar with Dice, Monster and other job search engines. I will keep you suggestions in mind. I was wondering if there're specialized job boards for jobs like this or other well known employers in the IT space that routinely hire remote full time software engineers and the like and if people on CD board had experiences with those.

Ironically software/computer type jobs are the ones that can be done remotely and those employers would know first hand but there's still resistance to this idea in the IT industry. It would be one heck of situation where an IT worker can work from anywhere in the country and adjust their cost of living accordingly to the geography there are in vs tied to say big metros.

Thanks again for sharing your thoughts!

Old 12-18-2018, 01:22 PM

11,118 posts, read 8,523,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamanewuser View Post
Thank you for your reply! Yes I'm familiar with Dice, Monster and other job search engines. I will keep you suggestions in mind. I was wondering if there're specialized job boards for jobs like this or other well known employers in the IT space that routinely hire remote full time software engineers and the like and if people on CD board had experiences with those.

Ironically software/computer type jobs are the ones that can be done remotely and those employers would know first hand but there's still resistance to this idea in the IT industry. It would be one heck of situation where an IT worker can work from anywhere in the country and adjust their cost of living accordingly to the geography there are in vs tied to say big metros.

Thanks again for sharing your thoughts!
The IT world is being overtaken by the idea of collaboration. Agile methodology advocates for workers to be co-located to facilitate open communication when developing. The model scrum meeting is a group of folks standing in a corner for 15 minutes a day discussing their development work.

Big companies like Google and Microsoft aren't on the remote bandwagon. HP was but they've pulled back from remote work in recent years.

Old 12-18-2018, 01:31 PM

9,499 posts, read 5,356,621 times
Quote:
Ironically software/computer type jobs are the ones that can be done remotely and those employers would know first hand but there's still resistance to this idea in the IT industry.
As a Lead developer and now manager in an organization that has a few remote employees, it looks great on paper but doesn't work in reality. The only reason why we have remote employees is because they offer a skill set or niche knowledge base that is difficult to find in all locales (and they are located too far for commute). There is a good reason why many large tech companies that have tried/open to the idea of 100% remote working are now moving away from it.

We do allow part time remote employees... I have been with the company since its inception (I have seniority) and even I have to be in the office to be effective/productive. I only work from home on Fridays or when family obligations require me to be home.

The key here is that you have to be top of your game.... offer something so compelling that a company is willing to work/manage your time as a remote employee. This also means projects that you own on your own with little collaboration. Most people I know at this level of expertise are not interested in full time employment but rather are a corp-to-corp as they've built a business from this skill set.

Old 12-22-2018, 08:48 PM

I agree that some employers are simply not into it and don't want to hear about it. I'm looking for ones for whom it's not a big deal. Open to people who have had experiences with companies big or small.

Some companies in fact advertise the fact that they are 100% remote. Not saying that's a majority but at least something.

Old 12-23-2018, 11:28 AM

2,404 posts, read 683,329 times
Quote:
Any companies you know that offer 100% remote work for software development or related IT work that pays equal to onsite work? Looking for employers that offer remote work not as a benefit but rather as their primary mode of work.
The only way this is the case is if you live in a third world country and are willing to work for third world wages.

If you live in the first world, forget it. It is not happening. Why would a company hire someone who is remote in the USA when they can hire someone from the Third World who is cheaper?

Old 12-24-2018, 07:24 AM

4,339 posts, read 7,984,165 times
I can only speak to what I've seen. But this is fairly normal in the Federal contracting world depending on position. Particularly in information security. This certainly depends on the agency/client and the contract of course. But HHS, IRS, and VA seems to have a sizable telecommute population. You just need to find the right contractor.

Old 12-24-2018, 11:40 AM

2,404 posts, read 683,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macroy View Post
I can only speak to what I've seen. But this is fairly normal in the Federal contracting world depending on position. Particularly in information security. This certainly depends on the agency/client and the contract of course. But HHS, IRS, and VA seems to have a sizable telecommute population. You just need to find the right contractor.
Federal Government jobs do allow telecommuting, but it is usually not 100% of the time. People can work 2-3 days a week, but usually have to be in the office 2-3 days a week for required meetings, face time with various people who deal with the agency from the outside, and the like.

In addition, you need to be a Veteran. Non-Vets usually cannot get these jobs.

You must also be a US Citizen. Green Card holders are not hired for Federal Jobs.

For Contractors, you also have the same requirements. Also, you need to get a security clearance too. Those are hard to get and those jobs tend to go to those who already have them (catch-22)

Old 12-28-2018, 10:01 AM

743 posts, read 457,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsell View Post
The only way this is the case is if you live in a third world country and are willing to work for third world wages.

If you live in the first world, forget it. It is not happening. Why would a company hire someone who is remote in the USA when they can hire someone from the Third World who is cheaper?
Not true, there are 100% remote opportunities, but they're not as common and you have to know how to look for them.

OP, I just saw a few listings pop up for SFDC developers/architects 100% remote. These came up through one of the recruitment firm email bulletins I subscribe to. Salary was in the low 6 figures.

Here are my suggestions to find remote work:

1. Contact your local recruitment firms with a summary of your resume (note, I say summary, don't include all your contact info or you'll get a bunch of irrelevant nonsense). If they have something you like, you can ask them to contact you only for the jobs that match the criteria you are looking for. If you work in a specialized field or with a particular platform, there are a number of firms that work in staffing just those roles. For something more generic like SWE or devleoper, you may have to fish around more.

2. Check with the large consulting firms and specify up front that you want to be staffed remote. It's a longer shot, but sometimes they staff for specific projects and the end client may not have the budget to fly people onsite every week; this can be a good opportunity.

3. Finally look at contract roles if you are open to it. Remote work is relatively common for backfilling and such; if you're a citizen and want to set yourself up to do c2c, the daily or hourly rates can be enticing and you may be able to negotiate a bit better with the recruitment firm than if you go on W2. This of course is riskier and involves more paperwork than a salaried position, but depending on your goals and flexibility and willing to manage your own taxes/insurance can be a good option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or