U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2018, 07:14 PM

5,876 posts, read 8,856,052 times

Advertisements

I'm not signing this or moving forward with this because this is a red flag to me, but I wonder what you think of it. I'm employed FT now but am just putting out some feelers.

A recruiter contacted me about a six-month contract that sounded intriguing. Had a good conversation with the recruiter via phone and it seemed like a good fit. I asked who the client is and he said I need to sign a confidentiality agreement first. Fine, no problem.

I get the agreement and it also has a noncompete clause that covers six months after I stop contracting with the client through the recruiter. Not a huge amount of time, BUT, it's only a six month contract anyway, I don't even know who the client is to agree not to work for them, I hadn't even had the interview yet, and what if I work for another company that has them as a client?

Just seemed weird to me to ask me to agree to that with only a job description as knowledge of the situation. Do you think so?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2018, 08:08 AM

12,190 posts, read 10,384,008 times
Unacceptable. I'd never do this in a million years.

Old 12-19-2018, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
Unacceptable. I'd never do this in a million years.
Thank you! It seems like an established recruiter, and I was starting to question myself for not doing it. I can only assume that a lot of people don't read things before they sign. The contact there didn't mention this clause at all - just called it a "confidentiality agreement" - which I have no problem signing.

Also frustrating: this guy graduated from college a year ago. This situation would potentially have been a very big deal. I don't want to get all "get off my lawn" ancient person, but I am not thrilled with this trend in my field of recruiters blasting out sales scripts to people. This isn't the purchase of a carpet, this is preferably the rest of my working career (I'm 51)!

*rants*

Old 12-19-2018, 08:49 AM

12,190 posts, read 10,384,008 times
Maybe try speaking with someone else at the recruiters company. It is very odd to say the least that they won't give you the name of the company without signing a non-compete clause.

Old 12-19-2018, 06:31 PM

2,465 posts, read 701,111 times
I would demand to know what the name of the client is. Tell the recruiter you want to make sure there is no double-submittals. (If you are submitted to the same client by two or more recruiters, you'll get rejected.)

Then you can choose if you want to go and apply to the client directly. This recruiter is out to lunch.

Old 12-20-2018, 04:30 AM

So once I told the recruiter I wasn't comfortable signing that noncompete clause just yet, the guy never responded again. That is maddening as the opportunity itself, that I believe does exist, was a good one. Not thrilled with this person so I will double check above his head - maybe management won't care, but ghosting someone who won't sign a mysterious noncompete is probably not the most professional way to do business.

I'm so sick of these people. I get multiple cold calls daily. Sometimes it is clear the person has just walked off another sales showroom and have no info about what I do. I often ignore the linkedin messages but this was the rare perfect fit!

Old 12-20-2018, 03:41 PM

So weird. I did contact a manager there who confirmed that a "nondisclosure" agreement had to be signed before they would reveal the client. I thanked him and told him a nondisclosure would have been fine, but signing a noncompete agreement before even knowing who the client is won't work for me, but to let me know if that requirement changes.

I mean, COME ON.

Old 12-20-2018, 07:47 PM

2,077 posts, read 604,678 times
The Psychosis is amongst employers (hiring managers) and recruiters is now at pandemic levels.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search