U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2018, 07:16 PM

14 posts, read 5,388 times

Advertisements

Is there a good chance for an interview if you have been referred . Below is what the complete statement says on the website: You are among the best qualified candidates and have been referred for the next step in the selection process...

Any help would be appreciative.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2018, 01:46 AM

7,191 posts, read 2,954,384 times
Still no way to be sure, but you've gotten over the first hurdle. You met the position's basic requirements (the appropriate degree, time in grade experience, required certifications or licenses, can legally be hired, crossed all the Ts, dotted the Is), so your name/application was included in a list of best eligibles (aka: a "cert") sent on to hiring officials for consideration. There could be veterans above you on that list, so they might not be able to "reach" you if the vets are equally or better qualified. The list could be huge.

Hiring officials aren't always required to interview everyone on a cert...but at this stage I think they have to provide a justification to HR for each candidate they choose not to consider. Certs are only "good" for a limited amount of time...if no one on the list fits what they want they can let the list "expire", go back to HR, and ask them to prepare and announce a new vacancy, possibly modified to get closer to what they want.

As for time frame to receive an interview request, it can vary a lot. Good luck anyway!

Last edited by Parnassia; 12-19-2018 at 02:02 AM..

Old 12-19-2018, 02:12 PM

4,353 posts, read 7,999,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizz19991 View Post
Is there a good chance for an interview if you have been referred . Below is what the complete statement says on the website: You are among the best qualified candidates and have been referred for the next step in the selection process...

Any help would be appreciative.
define "good".

Not to burst your bubble - But I've had a number of 'referred' responses. And it ended up that was the last time I heard from them.

Old 12-19-2018, 06:48 PM

2,465 posts, read 701,111 times
Keep applying.

Being referred means you cleared one hurdle out of many.

Old 12-20-2018, 07:43 PM

Ok thanks for the reply everyone. I email the HR about how many applicants reach the Best Qualified category.

Below is what she said:

Hello ******,

I don’t know how long it will take to hear. I can’t give out any information about how many applicants were referred. I can only tell you that Veterans get preference over Non-Veterans.

Parnassia WAS RIGHT.

Old 12-21-2018, 07:30 PM

Of course Vets get the preference for Federal jobs.

If the job ad was for only 1-2 open vacancies in one location, you pretty much don't stand a chance if you're not a Vet.

However, there are agencies where they hire huge numbers of people per years for same or similar vacancies, and non-Vets stand a good chance of getting in there.

How do you know which agencies are doing which way? Look at the number of vacancies.

If you see "1 vacancy in[list of 20 cities]" that's a good chance it is one of those.

Also, be willing to relocate. Many times they will not be able to hire you for your local area, but if you relocate to one of the cities listed in their long list in the job ad, you stand a better chance of getting the job.

Note: Not all cities are worth relocating to - for example, say no to San Francisco, NYC, or DC. Cost of living there is ridiculous.

However, DC is a place that has tons of FedJobs, but again, you need to be a Vet to get them.

Old 12-23-2018, 12:05 AM

bobsell, are you currently working at the IRS.

Old 12-23-2018, 12:51 AM

6,886 posts, read 7,295,373 times
All you can do is keep applying, and put it out of your mind.

OR do what one poster here did. Write his Congressman (person) and wonder why he wasn't referred to at least get an interview.
Guess what.....next thing you know, HR is calling him to ask him for his references.

IF you're already a gov't employee however I don't know if that would be the move to make. But maybe.....Lord knows the squeaky wheel got the grease, and the other guy got what he wanted. Last we heard he hadn't gotten an interview. But SOMEhow, for SOME reason, HR called him back, after he wrote his lawmaker's office.

Personally, I haven't done that -- YET! But I can't say I won't.

MAYBE if enough Congresspeople got complaints they'd correct this mess of Fed hiring.

(As if they've corrected anything else they've worked on)

Old 12-23-2018, 02:50 AM

7,191 posts, read 2,954,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
IF you're already a gov't employee however I don't know if that would be the move to make. But maybe.....Lord knows the squeaky wheel got the grease, and the other guy got what he wanted. Last we heard he hadn't gotten an interview. But SOMEhow, for SOME reason, HR called him back, after he wrote his lawmaker's office.
Most likely the lawmaker passed his letter to a staffer to "deal with". They rarely bother with them unless there's something in it that will benefit their current platform or next campaign. The staffer shipped it back to the agency office the applicant applied to. Many agencies have a formal documented response procedure for "Congressionals" (ie: correspondence that is forwarded to them from more lofty elected beings). They have to document that they did respond to the content, in this case, questioning why the applicant didn't get honored with a selection or an interview. It would be handed to HR. HR called the applicant, possibly verified for themselves why he hadn't been selected before, and closed out the Congressional loop.

Just because someone sends a complaint to a lawmaker doesn't mean they actually get what they want. They may get a bit of additional attention, but if the request/complaint doesn't have merit, that's it.

Old 12-23-2018, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizz19991 View Post
bobsell, are you currently working at the IRS.
Nope.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or