U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2018, 03:30 PM

10,070 posts, read 4,678,893 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyccareersearch2019 View Post
What I care about:
- equality
- social harmony
- children
- happiness
- health
- education

Conditions:
- around 50k or above
- advancement and growth
- work/life balance
a list of a whole lot of nothing; you listed what you want in your utopian world

tell me from your list of "values", who doesn't want equality, wants social unrest, a childless society, to be unhappy, ill and uneducated?

even your job conditions are meaningless, who goes looking for a job that doesn't have growth or balance? the fact that they end up in a job they hate has nothing to do with what they "wanted" starting out.

if you want a $50k job with growth, then get a $40k job and grow it into a $50k job...

now list things you can actually perform and see if there are jobs for that, because people can make money on YouTube unboxing toys for a living

or move to China and teach English
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2018, 05:02 AM

2 posts, read 433 times
Do you need job in hospitality industry or you have a restaurant and seeking the right team members behind you? We are the one stop solution for the complete food, beverage and hospitality industry job requirements. Visit us and explore

CLICK HERE FOR MORE INFO https://www.industry.co/

Old 12-26-2018, 11:47 AM

8 posts, read 1,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
I wouldn't be too gung ho about finding "meaningful" work. I would check Idealist.org but keep in mind that not all folks that work in non-profit or something that seems like it's "making a difference" are good people that create an enjoyable work environment. The main reason I don't work in something "meaningful" today is I have worked at these organizations as a student and recent grad in the past and witnessed the same dysfunctionality, megalomaniac personalities etc. as in the "rat race" type firms. So I decided to make a living wage for the same headaches. One of them actually fired me after one week on the job due to politics as a head of another department didn't like me and saw me as a threat. This was a non-profit for continuing education for lawyers/doctors/engineers etc. and supposedly a "loving environment"

As another poster mentioned, these jobs are also in hot demand and by folks that have a trust fund and can afford to work that job more than you can. The only reason they want it is Daddy said they have to work 10 years to inherit.

Any sort of job in Education in particular can be a brutal thankless environment where you have no support and must play political games to the extreme to get ahead.
Yes, very good point: non-profits, social services, and similar jobs could be some of the most manipulative atmospheres. I often check Glassdoor to get a feel for a place before applying.

Old 12-26-2018, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsell View Post
OK, so post the list of the jobs you're already looking at so other people don't duplicate efforts.
I'm looking into social work, mental health counseling, physical/occupational therapy assistance, nursing, and non-profits.

Old 12-26-2018, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
a list of a whole lot of nothing; you listed what you want in your utopian world

tell me from your list of "values", who doesn't want equality, wants social unrest, a childless society, to be unhappy, ill and uneducated?

even your job conditions are meaningless, who goes looking for a job that doesn't have growth or balance? the fact that they end up in a job they hate has nothing to do with what they "wanted" starting out.

if you want a $50k job with growth, then get a $40k job and grow it into a $50k job...

now list things you can actually perform and see if there are jobs for that, because people can make money on YouTube unboxing toys for a living

or move to China and teach English
Yes, fair points about the values. They're pretty fluffy.

As for the conditions and growth, I'm talking about further education and skill building. For example, an RN could eventually become a nurse practitioner; however, a dental hygienist can't become a dentist without making significant changes.

The things I can actually do (and enjoy doing) are writing, communicating (negotiation, active listening, office peacekeeping), graphic design, training/teaching/tutoring, organizing/project management.

Old 12-27-2018, 07:37 AM

10,070 posts, read 4,678,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyccareersearch2019 View Post
Yes, fair points about the values. They're pretty fluffy.

As for the conditions and growth, I'm talking about further education and skill building. For example, an RN could eventually become a nurse practitioner; however, a dental hygienist can't become a dentist without making significant changes.

The things I can actually do (and enjoy doing) are writing, communicating (negotiation, active listening, office peacekeeping), graphic design, training/teaching/tutoring, organizing/project management.
sigh... have you looked into the RN to NP route? as opposed to dental hygienist to dentist route?

a RN has to go get a BSN then work a few years for experience, then get a masters degree to be a NP... all together, it takes longer than the 4 years of dental school if the hygienist decided to go.

the difference that the nursing title gets passed along, but the different "tiers" still require going back to school. it isn't an automatic promotion

or did you only want to attend school two years at a time in between working? a few years here and there, eventually you are an old man. 2 years to RN, a few more years to BSN, some more years for NP, by that time they are mid 30s or older. This is why nursing has tiers, so older ones don't have to start over completely.

someone could go the physicians assistant route as a "shortcut" around the nursing route if they choose to skip med school/residency, but again there are disadvantages too.

same with CNRAs, someone can become an anesthesiologist assistant with a masters in anesthesiology. again, there are trade offs. More states let CNRAs work more independently than AAs

if your idea of "growth" involves going back to school, every single career does this. go back to school and change jobs... a painter could grow to become a business owner, then go to laws school and grow into a lawyer

if you want to write/communicate/listen/teach, get a sales job... salesmen do all those things when trying to sell their products. they have to communicate and teach people their products and why they need it/what problems can they fix for them

Old 12-27-2018, 12:30 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
29,844 posts, read 54,538,129 times
That sound like Special Education Pare-Educator, unfortunately even the best paying areas will only be at about $25/hour at the top experience level. Even Special Ed teachers only get $48,000 to start with just a BA.,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or