U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2018, 11:18 PM

117 posts, read 39,213 times

Advertisements

I’m 27. Art History degree that is five years old.

Career track thus far:

Jimmy Johns - first job, quit after two weeks
(May 2007 - May 2007)
Work study jobs in college, didn’t do much of anything
(2010-2012)
Better work study job in campus museum, pay for little work
(2012-2014)
Summer internship in large museum
(2012)
Unemployed, did nothing but feel sorry for myself
(May 2014-May 2015)
Papa Johns driver
(May 2015 - August 2015)
Japanese restaurant busboy, fired after one week
(January 2016)
Delivered food through apps, and other odd jobs
(February 2016 - July 2016)
Dishwasher, first full time job, did well
(August 2016 - January 2017)
Office assistant, good first year, mediocre
second year, resigned voluntarily to go to a mental hospital (January 2017 - July 2018)

I really have committed very little to anything in life so far, and I can’t see that changing, but I do need to find work soon. Unfortunately I’m still enrolled in a mental health program out of state, so I will be looking for work without a car, without open availability (frequent appointments) and while still in poor health. Everyone is hounding me, I am hounding me to get a job — any job — but I have no direction and a flimsy resume. I am hoping to get another secretarial job, or even as a legal assistant. I do enjoy doing detail oriented work.

Apologies for the awkward style of this post; I am on my phone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2019, 08:56 AM

9,792 posts, read 17,010,948 times
Do you qualify for any type of disability while you get things straightened out? Is there a good public transportation system where you are at?

Old 01-01-2019, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
Do you qualify for any type of disability while you get things straightened out? Is there a good public transportation system where you are at?
No. My GAF score is 50. If it was 49 I could go on disability though. GAF measures general functioning in mentally ill people. I am basically disabled but I think the psychiatrist wants me to make something of myself

I live in Houston but my mental health resident advisors drive me around

Old 01-01-2019, 11:07 AM

27,093 posts, read 5,934,133 times
Can you use you AH degree by working in a museum? What happened after your internship??

Your work history is not poor just not focused...

Old 01-02-2019, 09:19 AM

2,078 posts, read 605,530 times
You are in a Conservative state. They don't care much for people with Disabilities. You'll need to move to a more Liberal state to get more comprehensive benefits.

Old 01-03-2019, 09:14 AM

33 posts, read 8,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermaggie View Post
Iím 27. Art History degree that is five years old.

Career track thus far:

I really have committed very little to anything in life so far, and I canít see that changing, but I do need to find work soon. Unfortunately Iím still enrolled in a mental health program out of state, so I will be looking for work without a car, without open availability (frequent appointments) and while still in poor health. Everyone is hounding me, I am hounding me to get a job ó any job ó but I have no direction and a flimsy resume. I am hoping to get another secretarial job, or even as a legal assistant. I do enjoy doing detail oriented work.

Apologies for the awkward style of this post; I am on my phone.
mistermaggie : I feel like you would be an excellent (part-time) research assistant at a college library or a museum. My 29 yr old son has a BS in Fine Arts & finds it very difficult to find work in the field due mostly( I believe) to the fact that he didn't do any internships in college ( cue mom's eyes rolling)!

as an aside, You need to feel proud of accomplishing your degree! Shows you CAN see things through to completion !!
I am 52 have mild bipolar, straight A's in high school . Five attempts at college & I have not completed a two year degree.

Old 01-05-2019, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
You are in a Conservative state. They don't care much for people with Disabilities. You'll need to move to a more Liberal state to get more comprehensive benefits.
I am not looking for disability checks, but to work and take pride in what I do.

Old 01-06-2019, 04:24 AM

2,078 posts, read 605,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermaggie View Post
I am not looking for disability checks, but to work and take pride in what I do.
Whether you like it or not. The reality is employers WILL discriminate and you will need all the help you can get paying for food, medicine, shelter as well as a role which can accommodate your needs. It's not just a check. It's counseling and connections to resources/programs.

Old 01-06-2019, 09:52 AM

1,614 posts, read 832,364 times
OP is only 27. It will be near impossible to get disability for a mental health issue at that age without some serious medical history (such as patterns of hospitalization, suicide attempts, etc.).

I think you just need to revamp your resume. Work on condensing your history, elimate jobs that you left after only a few weeks, focus on the ones that will give you the best references and experience. Of course, never lie on a resume, but sometimes it helps just to change it around a bit, streamline it, focus on the jobs you held the longest.

You are very young and you write well. You will find something, do not give up!

Employers want to see a pattern of hard work - doesn't matter if you washed dishes, etc. It is still honest work.

Old 01-06-2019, 09:55 AM

1,614 posts, read 832,364 times
Since you enjoy "detail", have you considered an entry level accounting clerk position?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search