U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2019, 12:03 PM

946 posts, read 263,013 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallie225 View Post
Why?
I assume because it could mean they or their HR office is flaky and could be difficult to work for, if they can't respond.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
Good luck but I have not heard of something scheduled so far in advance ever working out. 1 million things have happened with the business between then and now.
That could be but they should still contact people with whom they scheduled meetings to cancel the meeting, if it is no longer required.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2019, 01:13 PM

3,771 posts, read 5,479,370 times
I'm not sure why some people are being so pessimistic. The reason given for the Jan interview, is that they would not be able to train till then. So had I still not been looking for a job, in Jan, it would have been a waste of time to interview earlier. It's a smaller business, where I would be interviewed and trained by the business owner. There isn't a HR department.

Anyway, it would be impossible for me to get that job if I didn't go to the interview, because I was worried it won't work out.

Old 01-24-2019, 09:23 PM

Here's an update, although it's kind of embarrassing. I got lost on the way to the interview. I did look up the address, look at the map, and wrote down the driving instructions. It all made sense and I left a little early. But.... I got lost on the way. I called to let them know and they said they only had a 15 min window. There was no way I would have made it on time. It was almost a freak accident, since I actually followed the directions and the google directions were not accurate. But it concerned me that they only gave 15 mins for the interview, and gave a reason that they had a meeting just after. They said they would reschedule, but didn't. Their job add was from 2 months ago and they don't have an ad up now. It doesn't seem like they are even hiring.

I'm not particularly disappointed. The job seemed like a good fit. But it's way too niche, that I would have a hard time finding another job in the same field. But for all my next interviews, I will be only taking familiar routs or leaving 30 mins early.

I hate it when a threat starter doesn't give a final update. So here it is.

Old 01-24-2019, 09:35 PM

160 posts, read 72,499 times
Thanks for the update. Sorry about the travel mixup.

Old 01-25-2019, 07:32 AM

12,190 posts, read 10,384,008 times
I'd invest in a smartphone with internet or GPS unit to prevent this from happening in the future. Or do a dry run before the day of your interview so you know exactly where it is.

Old 01-25-2019, 05:58 PM

2,465 posts, read 701,111 times
I always leave early when coming to an interview, that way I can relax at a restaurant or coffee joint, and prepare for the interview. No stress and I'm able to show up more confident.

Old 01-25-2019, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsell View Post
I always leave early when coming to an interview, that way I can relax at a restaurant or coffee joint, and prepare for the interview. No stress and I'm able to show up more confident.

That's a good idea.

Old 01-25-2019, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
I'd invest in a smartphone with internet or GPS unit to prevent this from happening in the future. Or do a dry run before the day of your interview so you know exactly where it is.

I have a smartphone, but I usually map on a computer and write down directions if the address is known ahead of time. But the smartphone gps would have been a good backup.

I would always want to be on time or early. But from knowing there was only a 15 min window and they haven't had a job ad up for 2 months, at least this was one time that it probably didn't matter. I really doubt that I would have convinced them that they needed to hire me, when they don't seem to be looking. I'm not sure why they wanted me to come out there in the first place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or