U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2019, 10:31 PM

1 posts, read 527 times

Advertisements

Most of my jobs have been as a cashier but how do I get into another job when my current job history would point me to certain jobs only?
When applying to jobs where a certain work history is irrelevant, how do you try convincing them that you're a viable candidate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2019, 11:24 PM

9,266 posts, read 11,842,943 times
Are you concerned that the job title is interfering or the job duties are interfering with your viability?

Old 01-10-2019, 03:01 AM

28,502 posts, read 62,199,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_ravenor View Post
Most of my jobs have been as a cashier but ...
how do I get into another job when my current job history would point me...?
Being competent or at least 'educated' in something else is the first step.
Beyond that it's about finding someone so desperate for a warm body to fill a slot in the schedule that they'll take a chance.

Old 01-10-2019, 07:08 AM

9,778 posts, read 16,990,740 times
If you are trying to break out of the menial labor market, you need to at a minimum demonstrate that you have the knowledge, skills, and abilities to do something else. What are you trying to do? At major retail firms There is a career progression in which cashiers with ability are given more responsibility, and then promotions into a customer service role, which includes supervisory duties. If you have good money handling skills, you may want to look at being a bank teller. Many good tellers get promoted to other other positions within the bank. You need to figure out what you want to do and how you are going to get there. Sometimes it is simply a matter of finding the right person to give you a chance.

Old 01-10-2019, 07:29 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
29,815 posts, read 54,486,657 times
Cashiering is a form of customer service. One way out is entry level customer service work such as bank teller as joe said, or at a utility business office (cell phone, water district, electric company) where there are promotional opportunities.

Old 01-10-2019, 05:40 PM

2,435 posts, read 695,084 times
What job are you looking to do?

What field or industry piques your interest?

Old 06-24-2019, 04:19 AM

661 posts, read 316,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
If you are trying to break out of the menial labor market, you need to at a minimum demonstrate that you have the knowledge, skills, and abilities to do something else. What are you trying to do? At major retail firms There is a career progression in which cashiers with ability are given more responsibility, and then promotions into a customer service role, which includes supervisory duties. If you have good money handling skills, you may want to look at being a bank teller. Many good tellers get promoted to other other positions within the bank. You need to figure out what you want to do and how you are going to get there. Sometimes it is simply a matter of finding the right person to give you a chance.
I am interviewing for a bank teller position....transitioning out of b2b sales....yes, I will miss my income but I am winding down to work close to home, have some bennies and work 4-5 years until I retire.. I hope to work toward promotions that will be compensated better but certainly willing to start at the “bottom”. I have handled money transactions in my retail days..i do admit to being somewhat intimidated since a bank teller is working with customer accounts..savings and checking etc. i am glad to have the opportunity to at least interview.

Old 06-24-2019, 08:40 PM

2,435 posts, read 695,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_ravenor View Post
Most of my jobs have been as a cashier but how do I get into another job when my current job history would point me to certain jobs only?
When applying to jobs where a certain work history is irrelevant, how do you try convincing them that you're a viable candidate?
What kind of job are you looking for?

If you're looking for a job where your previous work history is irrelevant, that means it has to be a Mcjob or a sales job.

If you're trying to get out of Mcjobs and into a job where you can actually earn a living, you have to get around the problem that employers don't count Mcjob experience for better jobs. So they treat you as having zero experience. You have to get past the catch-22 - no job, no experience; no experience, no job.

Old 06-25-2019, 10:16 PM

19,986 posts, read 18,953,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
Are you concerned that the job title is interfering or the job duties are interfering with your viability?
Job duties sell over job titles.

Old 06-26-2019, 02:08 PM

28,502 posts, read 62,199,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Job duties sell over job titles.
True quote from an interview I had (2004ish):
Them: But we don't know what to call you.
Me: You can call me your Aunt Margaret if the money's strong.

Hired that day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or